Author Topic: FlamingMamba shares his opinions on FS1 and 2  (Read 5210 times)

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
FlamingMamba shares his opinions on FS1 and 2
I'm sure I'll be branded a heretic for this, but I have to say it. I like FS1 more than FS2. I don't like many of FS2's new ship designs. It's not that they aren't good ships, it's just that I don't like the way they look. I actually like the new Vasudan ship designs. But I don't like the FS2's Terran ships so much, and I think FS2's new Shivan ships are utterly awful and ugly-looking. I much prefer FS1's music to FS2's. It has a very military-scifi feel to it, which really fits the tone and atmosphere of FS1. And it kind of reminds me of Stargate SG-1 for some reason. That feel is completely gone in FS2.

And while I do think the introduction of beams was a good move for the series, I think they are used far too frequently.

Kinda drunk right now and I can't think of anything else to say. I'll leave it at that.

EDIT: I just want to say that I even like FS1's HUD better than FS2's. I think it's smoother and more aesthetically pleasing.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 10:25:14 pm by FlamingMamba »

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: FlamingMamba shares his opinions on FS1 and 2
Okay.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
FS1 had better music and sound effects.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Where's ShivanHunter?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The Vasudan foothold on Vasuda Prime and the subspace node remains solid.

meanwhile, on the PVD Hope

The Terran outpost on Earth remains in place

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
CB Stage 1
GTD Galatea
Betelgeuse System

Stage 1
Pilot Attend: Welcome to the GTD Galatea. Your first assignment as a part of the Galatea's crew is to stand the 3rd watch. You will patrol the area surrounding the GTC Orff. The GTC Orff suffered an engine breakdown in the Betelgeuse system, and is awaiting repairs. We are already in Betelgeuse, but we want to make sure you didn't get disoriented.

Stage 3
You will begin your watch by jumping to Betelgeuse near the GTC Orff. You will also be jumping from Betelgeuse, because we are in Betelgeuse, as we mentioned in the command briefing.

Stage 9
POP QUIZ. What system are you in, pilot?

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Did someone say Betelgeuse three time?

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

I agree with bits of this. Actually, I agree with most of it; I just think FS2's atmosphere and writing outweigh the rest.

Yeah, FS1's ship design was better. FS2's isn't bad, but the first game just had more...inspiration? to it. I have to say I adore the Typhon. I like the Hatshepsut, too, but that's mostly just because of the MediaVP redesign. The original model was pretty much just two hunks of beige connected by a hunk of grey. (Although it was a decent design regardless.) (I'm getting off track.)

On the subject of Shivan craft: I personally find the second game's Shivan ships more visually appealing, but I think that, "objectively", they are more generic and less original. Second-incursion ships have all those spikes and things, which is pretty standard for evil death aliens, as opposed to the sort of blunt, squarish sensibilities of FS1-era Shivan ships, which probably had more artistic merit.

And yeah, I think FS1's music was marginally better, if only because of Spook. (I love Spook.) On the other hand, FS2 has Joshua (and Leviticus, to a lesser degree), but I think FS1 wins out overall.

It's just...the voice acting, and mission design, and writing. It never feels like anyone cares about any of this. "Yep, an unknown alien race just showed up and is now seeking our extinction with invincibility shields and weapons we've never seen before. Yawn."

(The exception is the opening cutscene, which is awesome.)

freespace 1's sound effects are utter ****

sometimes i wake up in a cold sweat hearing that hull impact sound
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
On the subject of Shivan craft: I personally find the second game's Shivan ships more visually appealing, but I think that, "objectively", they are more generic and less original. Second-incursion ships have all those spikes and things, which is pretty standard for evil death aliens, as opposed to the sort of blunt, squarish sensibilities of FS1-era Shivan ships, which probably had more artistic merit.
I "objectively" say your opinion is wrong. The squarish sensibilities of FS1-era Shivan ships have "objectively" less 'artistic merit'.

Look man, you are entitled to your opinion. But don't try to pass it off as anything more than what it is: just your opinion and preference.

It's just...the voice acting, and mission design, and writing. It never feels like anyone cares about any of this. "Yep, an unknown alien race just showed up and is now seeking our extinction with invincibility shields and weapons we've never seen before. Yawn."
Yeah, like absolutely nobody here cares about such trivial things. And nobody has brought these subjects up in the past. You are the first! Congratulations!

CB Stage 1
GTD Galatea
Betelgeuse System

Stage 1
Pilot Attend: Welcome to the GTD Galatea. Your first assignment as a part of the Galatea's crew is to stand the 3rd watch. You will patrol the area surrounding the GTC Orff. The GTC Orff suffered an engine breakdown in the Betelgeuse system, and is awaiting repairs. We are already in Betelgeuse, but we want to make sure you didn't get disoriented.

Stage 3
You will begin your watch by jumping to Betelgeuse near the GTC Orff. You will also be jumping from Betelgeuse, because we are in Betelgeuse, as we mentioned in the command briefing.

Stage 9
POP QUIZ. What system are you in, pilot?
Please write the next BP chapter like this.

Urutorahappī!!

I "objectively" say your opinion is wrong. The squarish sensibilities of FS1-era Shivan ships have "objectively" less 'artistic merit'.

Look man, you are entitled to your opinion. But don't try to pass it off as anything more than what it is: just your opinion and preference.

Well, yeah. That's why I put it in quotation marks. It's not actually objective because there's no such thing in this context. I just needed some way of distinguishing my thoughts on which was more original from the one I actually liked better. Honestly, I didn't realize I was saying anything particularly contentious.

Yeah, like absolutely nobody here cares about such trivial things. And nobody has brought these subjects up in the past. You are the first! Congratulations!

Ah, I think you misunderstood. I was saying that nobody in Freespace 1 seems to care about the Shivan invasion or their impending doom.

Dunno why you're being so confrontational, but I wish you'd stop. You have a lot more prestige here than I do, and I'd rather not end up getting ostracized or banned because you decided you had a bone to pick.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
sometimes i wake up in a cold sweat hearing that hull impact sound

This would seem to go against your argument.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Well, yeah. That's why I put it in quotation marks. It's not actually objective because there's no such thing in this context. I just needed some way of distinguishing my thoughts on which was more original from the one I actually liked better. Honestly, I didn't realize I was saying anything particularly contentious.
Not so much contentious as pretentious.
Mostly the part that the blocky designs of FS1 somehow have more 'artistic merit' than the spikey designs of FS2.

Ah, I think you misunderstood. I was saying that nobody in Freespace 1 seems to care about the Shivan invasion or their impending doom.
In my defense, the way you wrote that sentence, you didn't made it very clear you meant the people in the freespace universe, as opposed to people here on this forum.

Dunno why you're being so confrontational, but I wish you'd stop. You have a lot more prestige here than I do, and I'd rather not end up getting ostracized or banned because you decided you had a bone to pick.
  :lol:
The staff here may have had a record of questional moderating actions, but nobody is going to ban you over any of this. That would be beyond silly.
And prestige means nothing.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Lorric

There have been occasions where certain people have claimed to be objectively right about subjective matters and been hostile to those who disagree. It has ruffled feathers.

Offline Luis Dias

What is this, a thread about fs1 vs fs2? For christ sakes, this is [current year]!!

On topic though, I think I've only played FS1 once. The GTC Orff mission put me off the other 20 times "oh I remember now, it was like this..."

Offline Lorric

I prefer FS1 to FS2. Always have. I've been over why before. Mainly it's about how the game plays. But I also much prefer the FS1 music which I don't think I ever brought up.

Not so much contentious as pretentious.
Mostly the part that the blocky designs of FS1 somehow have more 'artistic merit' than the spikey designs of FS2.

Oh, okay. That makes sense.

I think the word I was looking for was "unique", but for some reason it didn't jump to mind. Really, I think it's just that I'm mildly uncomfortable with the fact that I like the more "generic" spiky designs more than the "unique" blocky ones. Because liking generic things is bad and makes me a plebeian or something, I guess?

Or maybe it's just a holdover from discussions about the daedric armor in Morrowind versus Skyrim.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Unless you are aiming to be some kind of grand hipster, you should probably like the thinks you like and don't feel bad about doing so, even if it's generic and mainstream and all sorts of other horrible words.  :p
Urutorahappī!!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

FS1's prose and plot writing is Objectively Bad, and I do mean Objectively. I bet it has lower kolmogorov complexity. I bet alien archaeologists could mathematically analyze these stories and detect FS2's superiority.

(i am agreeing with you here)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Two foes must learn to overcome their differences when a true nightmare attacks. Only an ancient manuscript can name the single weakness in the otherwise invincible enemy. We must disable the enemy mothership's shields.

(i actually think fs1's ending, plot wise, is pretty good)