Author Topic: Could there be a FREDing video tutorial?  (Read 4371 times)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Could there be a FREDing video tutorial?
Hi everyone,

recently I got a PM from a TBP fan who would have liked me to make an updated FRED tutorial for TBP. While I was honoured, I figured that good work is already being done in that field and redirected said fan towards this forum and the wiki.

But a curious idea stuck in my head: What if someone were to do video tutorial for the use of FRED? - So I reached out to karajorma for a second opinion and after a positive response from him, here we are.

There are some advantages to doing so: you can demontrate some basic functions like camera movement in real time, you can more easily demontrate were to find each of menus and SEXP. (Plus with some editing it would be simple to show off some basic functions in the mission).

However it would require a little more preperation because to adapt a tutorial (from breaking it up into steps that make sense as an visual presentation, to figuring out the required set-ups and to the actual text)...

So what do you think?
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: Could there be a FREDing video tutorial?
Keep it simple.

EDIP.
Explain.
Demonstrate.
Imitate.
Practice.

Bullet point the basics and make a simple video for each. Screen capture with voice overlay.

Compile into a final and voilĂ .

(Edip is standard British army method for practical straightforward teaching)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
What sort of program could you use for doing the capture? I've never tried doing a video tutorial before so I might be interested in giving it a try one day.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

OBS is pretty good. Mostly used for streaming but it can encode directly to h.264 and if you up the bitrate you can get it to look pretty good when recording.
If you have time and HDD space to spare you can also use FRAPS. The files will be huge and you'll have to encode them manually through an editing program but you could get higher quality(doesn't really matter if you plan on uploading to youtube though as they'll make everything look kinda muddy).
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Fraps then Sony vegas or premiere?
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Okay, so we've discussed how to do it. But more importantly, what should we do?

What would you guys get from a video tutorial that you wouldn't get from the walkthrough for FS2 or Diaspora? I guess this is aimed at the beginning FREDders somewhat. But also is there anyone on here who would like to try FREDding but hasn't given it the plunge that thinks this might help?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I'm a firm believer in Fred docs as everything you could possibly need is in there. 

The masses who've not yet completed TSM 103c want easily digestible information and youtube is their preferred delivery medium though.

I think we'd just be modernising the fred docs to the popular multimedia equivalent.  Making use of the available technology.

**also the author would get to say SEXPEE aloud a lot and that's not happened in my life since the last HLP London I went to with karajorma.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 02:39:29 pm by Colonol Dekker »
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yeah. We got a lot of strange looks in that pub.

Offline 0rph3u5

I'm a firm believer in Fred docs as everything you could possibly need is in there. 

The FRED docs could use a little update to the changed UI (with more options) as displayed by Exhibit A:

Not to mention that " http://fredzone.hard-light.net/freddocs/sexp.html " returns a 404-page...

I think we'd just be modernising the fred docs to the modern equivalent.  Making use of the available technology.

That's tl;dr of it, yes...

But using moving pictures might also help to deal with some issues of scale which would crop up regardless of which set of ships we'd put in the videos, be they FS, Diaspora, TBP or WoD etc. We would only have to establish "this is small", "this is big" and "this is capital" at one point and then go on - considering that is something worth doing considering ship classifiction also limites AI orders, would happen naturally anyway (even if the mod/game doesn't use the terminology because tables).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 04:34:09 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Fair enough, but it's worth remembering that I have updated information for all the new UI elements in the Diaspora documentation (which is stickied on this board).

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

Offline 0rph3u5

Not to mention that " http://fredzone.hard-light.net/freddocs/sexp.html " returns a 404-page...

Capitalization matters.  You want http://fredzone.hard-light.net/freddocs/SEXP.html

The link I gave is from the FREDocs table of contents though

==================

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Well, phooey.  This means the original :v: freddocs had that same broken link.  I've fixed it on the FREDZone site.

Offline 0rph3u5

So, I have now returned from the land before transitions in between shots were a thing (aka I was writing a paper on a movie from 1930s) and am ready to give this a prototype'ish go in the next weeks. Any advice of substance before I do like always and hammer the keyboard against my head??

==================

Offline 0rph3u5

Mission update: As it turns out my headset is broken and has been for sometime (so none of my improv audio was recroded) - and to that that I seem to be unable to record video of any passable quality (relative to the requirements for this); I kinda spend the last four weekends achieving nothing...

So I am waiting past the end of year, so I can affort new hardware and I will try again then

==================

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I might give a try before that then.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
:bump:

I gave this a try. You'll have to download it for now since YouTube uploads are a PITA over my VPN. I'll upload it to the Diaspora account once everyone is happy with it. Give me some comments on what you liked and didn't like and I'll see about making the main Diaspora tutorial or the FS2 one into a video.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Fraps then Sony vegas or premiere?
Use OpenBroadcaster Studio. It's the only open source capture program that captures from video games (be it DirectX or OpenGL).
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
FrikgFeek already suggested that earlier in the thread. It's what I used in fact.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Hey kara!

Great video :) A couple suggestions:

1) You have a long lead-in with nothing happening. When you talk about launching FRED2, maybe also just show going to the folder and launching it - otherwise we're sitting and staring at a static screen.

2) Check out something that shows what keys you press. I use ShowOff: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Keylogger-Monitoring/ShowOff.shtml

3) I think you could also do tutorials on the view controls - maybe include it in this one? Start really really low level, and try to convey theory as well. So for instance, instead of starting with how to place ships, how about you do a general overview of the interface, camera controls, then talk about putting ships. When you go into the Wing Editor, say like "Wings are used for grouping enemy targets in Freespace 2", etc.

Hope this helps, keep up the good work! :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 09:03:18 am by karajorma »