Author Topic: Computer restarts by itself abruptly during FSO gameplay  (Read 1571 times)

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Computer restarts by itself abruptly during FSO gameplay
The reason I'm posting here because I'm developing a mod. At some point during gameplay while recording using Open Broadcasting Software, my computer restarts by itself without a bluescreen (another one, a desktop also has the same problem, given that I'm using is a laptop, both of which are running Windows 10). If run on a debug, when the computer restarts unexpectedly, the fs2_open.log end up empty. I don't know whether it's due to the OBS settings or the video hardware problem at the moment. I intend to record a gameplay video from it.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: Computer restarts by itself abruptly during FSO gameplay
Make sure both have updated drivers.  And see if your recording software is up to d ate (any patches?) .

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    • Twitter
No patches available at the moment. But as for drivers, things get complicated at least for my laptop with the restart computer message appearing at every startup on Win10.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
It may be impossible, but... could be the drivers, the OBS, or the FSOpen executable. For FSO, I think there are something that needs to be constantly updated to meet the future requirements imposed by the ever-changing Win10 OS.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline m!m

It's definitely not FSO. I have been using it for a long time with Windows 10 and it works perfectly. An instant reboot can only be caused by buggy drivers or other hardware related failures that FSO cannot control.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
It's definitely not FSO. I have been using it for a long time with Windows 10 and it works perfectly. An instant reboot can only be caused by buggy drivers or other hardware related failures that FSO cannot control.
Agreed.  Usually when I have had this happen it has been one of two things:
  • old/corrupt drivers (video, audio, even LAN)
  • failing hardware (RAM, motherboard, power supply, and DVD-ROM are the four I have had cause this over the years)
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline m!m

The most probable cause of a seemingly ransom restart is a failing power supply but apparently the restarts happen on two different machines (at least that's how I interpret "a desktop also has the same problem, given that I'm using is a laptop") so it's unlikely that both power supplies fail at the same time. The next possible cause would be the GPU drivers since the restart happens while running FSO which requires a bit of GPU power. So, the first thing to do is checking the Windows error log and updating the video drivers.

Could be overheating. After the computer restarts on its own check temperature in bios/HWmonitor/msi afterburner.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Could be overheating. After the computer restarts on its own check temperature in bios/HWmonitor/msi afterburner.

Except modern CPUs / GPUs will thermal throttle (underclock) before they would reset the system.