Author Topic: Blinky lights have squares around them  (Read 3161 times)

Offline eicca

Blinky lights have squares around them
Looks like the alpha channel in the marker light texture isn't working right. Happens with all colors. Running 3.7.4 official on Mac. Only seen this in Blue Planet.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: Blinky lights have squares around them
Running 3.7.4 official on Mac.
And how does it look with a recent nightly build?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline eicca

The same. I've used several different builds with BP and it's still there. Also occurs in Freespace Blue, now that I'm thinking about it, but not in FS2 retail.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I'm sure this issue has been reported before... and it might be something to do with assets combined with certain video cards? I'll have to search through the BP forum...
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Snarks

I have this issue too, and I've only seen it in BP. I'm using a Nvidia 660 Ti if that helps any.

Offline Darius

May be an assets issue since once upon a time we shipped our own glowpoints separate to the mediavps (as far as I remember it was related to glowpoint lighting) - but those were taken out quite a while ago.

They were, but the version of blue planet in that screenshot must be ancient.
It isn't using Axem's Scripted Messages.
Either that or it's a recent version that isn't loading the script properly? Anyway, a log would help clear that up probably.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 01:42:06 am by FrikgFeek »
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
I agree with FrikgFeek. The version of BP eicca is using is either way out of date, or not loading things correctly. I'm willing to bet it's the former.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

That was my first assumption too, but he did mention Freespace Blue, which is only included in the "Complete" version which should also include ScriptedMessage.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Snarks

Opened up my copy of BP, and it seems like I don't have the issue anymore.  I recall having this issue some time around last year. Maybe try a fresh install? I know this was before using the wxLauncher and a lot of patches were going in at the time.

I saw this when I first played BP, but after an update it'd been fixed. Looks like it's just incorrect black levels in the textures, and those got cleaned up. Almost definitely nothing to do with hardware or FSO build, just the textures themselves.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
That was my first assumption too, but he did mention Freespace Blue, which is only included in the "Complete" version which should also include ScriptedMessage.
Eh, I think the first version of BP Complete didn't have the scripted message gauge? I could be misremembering.

Either way, it really sounds like this problem should be fixed by just reinstalling BP.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Darius

eicca, if you can wait a couple of weeks before reinstalling the modpack, there'll be a full update coming soon. Take the opportunity to save your bandwidth.

Eh, I think the first version of BP Complete didn't have the scripted message gauge? I could be misremembering.

As a BPC beta tester, I can confirm the first release version of BP Complete had ScriptedMessage. I recorded my play through on the day 1 release version and that has it.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
eicca, if you can wait a couple of weeks before reinstalling the modpack, there'll be a full update coming soon. Take the opportunity to save your bandwidth.
Awesome!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Darius

It's just a modpack and bugfixing update with some new additions, Acts 4 and 5 are still a while away unfortunately.

Sorry, to clarify by full update I mean all of the VPs are going to have new files in them and will need to be reinstalled.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I figured.  There is a difference between an update and a new release.  It's just something to look forward to.  :)
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
It's just a modpack and bugfixing update
Yeah, and that's awesome! :P

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline eicca

I'm not patient. I redownloaded the whole thing and the problem has been solved.