Author Topic: fs2 open Crash on Mac  (Read 2031 times)

Ok, so I bought Fs2 from gog, i then downloaded the launcher and the fs2 open build.
Moved the movies file on data folder and so on. But Fs 2 Open crash on loading.
On launcher I can read something like an erro -1.
I tried to load the debug mode as you guys wrote on the help thread but I can't have any log file.
I'm on a mac book pro mid 2009 osx 10.11.6 (el Capitan) - 8GB Ram - NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512 MB
Any help?
Thank you.
Best A.

P.s. I installed the game using wine. Not cross Crossover G.

From what you are writing I'm guessing you tried to do a manual install, which may or may not be outdated.

Which install instructions did you follow ?

Could you post a screenshot of you Freespace folder ?

Additionally, have you tried using the FS Open installer ?

A basic install should set everything up cleanly.
Also, it should be capable of installing the game straight off the gog installer without needing to mess with Wine or anything.

ok so I delete everything and try to install from gog and then with the fso installer.
Will update soon!
Ty

ok I tried to reinstall via galaxy Client, but it seems I can't install the game because it's for windows and not mac.
So I installed the game via wine as I did before.
Then I used the FSO installer. But it's still not working. It does not generate a flag file and the error seems now to be something with -255
As before I can't generate any log file.
Attached the folder.

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

and if I try to open the .app file I have this error:

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
I guess that this error needs to be resolved very soon.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

In the meanwhile I downloaded CrossOver and I tried to reinstall FS2 with it.
I'll try to use FS O Installer and then see if it works
:D

I'd prefer if a mac-savvy person popped in to help, but in the meantime :

It does not generate a flag file and the error seems now to be something with -255

Something in the back of my head tells me that this is likely a system error.

Now, it's just a hunch, but maybe FSO does not have permission to be executed. Could you see if its got proper read/exec permissions ?

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
As X3N0-Life-Form said, you don't need to install FreeSpace 2 retail yourself with Wine or CrossOver or something like that. The FSOInstaller can take the GOG FS2 installer file (setup_freespace2.exe or whatever it's called) and extract the FS2 retail data from it for you.

Also as I remember there was an issue with the Mac builds of FSO 3.7.4 that comes with the FSOinstaller, don't know if that was ever fixed. Can you get a copy of 3.7.4 from the release thread and use that instead of the build from the FSOInstaller?

EDIT: Also, your computer is pretty old, not sure how well it'll be able to run the game. You should certainly be able to run the original retail game without any mods, maybe also the MediaVPs 2014 (I think that's the latest MediaVPs version?) but newer campaigns might not be playable, not sure. Someone who's more of a graphics coder would know for sure. At a minimum, once you have a build of 3.7.4 that works, you'll probably need to go to the launcher's advanced settings tab and under the "Graphics" category of the list of checkboxes (aka "flag list"), check "disable deferred lighting" and "disable lightshafts". Even disabling those might not be enough, not sure, but it's a starting point.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 01:16:57 am by jg18 »

ok guys! Thanks for the helps!
I'm gonna try everything.
In the meanwhile I was able to run Fs open!
Here what I've done:
Installed the game downloaded by gog with CrossOver
Installed the Fs Open and basic mods with fs open installer
I run a custom installation with fs open installer and downloaded Windows fs open file and the windows launcher.
Run wiht Crossover the windows launcher.
Game is working well.
What do you think?

As X3N0-Life-Form said, you don't need to install FreeSpace 2 retail yourself with Wine or CrossOver or something like that. The FSOInstaller can take the GOG FS2 installer file (setup_freespace2.exe or whatever it's called) and extract the FS2 retail data from it for you.

Oh! cool. I'll try it! Didn't know it.

guys guys guys,
I installed everything using the fso installer and I downloaded the 3.7.4 build from the release thread, replaced it with the build installed by the installer and... It worked! Everything is going fine!
thank you!

Glad you got it working :)