Author Topic: [WIP] The Aftermath II: The Blue Guardian  (Read 70125 times)

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
[WIP] The Aftermath II: The Blue Guardian
This post will serve as development blog for now.

I am currently working on this sequel with CT27. The story is set just 2 years later where, at this point, the Terran forces are diminished and devastated from the Third Shivan War.

Unlike the reboot campaign where our protagonist, John Richer was mostly silent in-game, this time the story revolves around a lady pilot and this will be a character-driven campaign like BP so more dialogue this time. When I say "story revolves around," it means it really does. She will witness her extremely personal struggle, her wingmen's agony, the political strife between governments,  and an unknown force of unstoppable power.

EDIT: I'm not sure whether I should post this in the "Missions and Campaign Releases" or not so just post it here.

CURRENT PROGRESS: (as of March 29, 2020)

I HAVE RELEASED THE MOD!

The campaign is 37 missions divided into 5 Acts.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 04:34:36 am by herkie423 »

Offline CT27

Re: [WIP] The Aftermath: The Blue Guardian
To people who like "The Aftermath:  Reboot", don't worry.  There is somewhat more focus on the protagonist character this time, but there will still be lots of action. :)

Offline CT27

EDIT: I'm not sure whether I should post this in the "Missions and Campaign Releases" or not so just post it here.

Usually something is posted there when it's closer to release.  I think it's fine here.

A minor question:  should we put a 2 (or the Roman numeral II) after 'The Aftermath' in the title since this is a sequel?

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
Super excited, I can't wait!

Is there a meaning to the subtitle the blue guardian? Or will that have to remain a secret until it's released?
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Spoiler alert! :)

Offline CT27

Super excited, I can't wait!

Is there a meaning to the subtitle the blue guardian? Or will that have to remain a secret until it's released?

It's fairly important so I don't think we want to spoil it just yet. :)

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!

Usually something is posted there when it's closer to release.  I think it's fine here.

A minor question:  should we put a 2 (or the Roman numeral II) after 'The Aftermath' in the title since this is a sequel?

I now combine it. Added a "II" in the title.

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
Re: [WIP] The Aftermath II: The Blue Guardian
What more can you reveal about Aftermath 2? Do we know the new protagonist's name and story or will we have to find out in the game?
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Offline CT27

I've PMed Herkie and asked if I can make a 'teaser' posts that will reveal who certain characters in the campaign will be (the names I believe won't be spoilers).

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
What more can you reveal about Aftermath 2? Do we know the new protagonist's name and story or will we have to find out in the game?
I can't tell you just yet but I can say that it will have a twisting plot. In Aftermath I, it was straightforward, a strategic war campaign. But in part 2, it will be politically driven, it will involve an extremely personal issue which will be based on my actual life experience, it will introduce an enigmatic element with shocking results, and, finally, the story will seal the fate of the galaxies (plural) not just the GTVA.

You will encounter characters from the first story. John Richter for starters but he will no longer be our protagonist. I had alrrady hinted these characters in the first campaign. If you read between the lines, you will get the idea. Remember, Donald Esquire? He will be back.

In the first campaign, it was all about destroying things although there were many missions that involved tactics like cap ship command, commading tactical engagements, capture missions, scanning, tagging, stealth, the usual. This time, there will be more gameplay elements especially in a very complex storyline.

When I say "very complex storyline," I meant it literally. I myself is getting surprises while doing this. We have to be careful of not getting stuck in our web of ideas or confusing players most importantly.

EDIT: corrected the spelling "plotically." It is "politically." And the first words of the post. I had misunderstood JSR. Sorry. :)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 12:39:57 am by herkie423 »

Offline CT27

Our main character will be named Courtney Aguilar this time around.

Herkie mentioned some returning characters from The Aftermath:  Reboot. 
If anyone has played the campaign "Shrouding The Light:  Origins and its sequel Shrouding The Light", they will recognize a character we are bringing in from those campaigns.  Tet from STL (he was Alpha 2 I believe in STL) will be in Blue Guardian.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 10:49:15 pm by CT27 »

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
I tried the HUD message it's very good. Nice. But it blocks the training message. I may have to tweak the script a little to reduce its size a bit. Please Axem, help (begging). :)

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Ok. This is a spoiler. I will add a player-usable Erebus destroyer and a Chimera corvette (maybe more depending on the plot). I will also modify the HUD turret command script so that these piloted cap ships will have the proper display. The credit of the script belongs to the creator of course.

Can anyone tell me the absolute ship list limit in a TBL file?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 03:54:05 am by herkie423 »

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Whoa! I only needed at least 10. Ok. Nice to know. Thanks

Offline CT27

People also seem to like the character of Christopher Snipes.  He was in Reboot and the original so we'll try to find a way for him to appear in Blue Guardian as well.  Is that cool Herkie?

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Yeah, we can. We'll squeeze him in the plot.

I'm still in the process of weaving both your work and mine. Hopefully in 2 weeks, I will finish the storyline for Act 1 and 2. Then I can start FREDing. My estimate the 2 Acts will be at least 20 missions. I don't want this campaign to be long like the first one.

EDIT: By the way, Acts 1 and 2 is just the first part of the campaign.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 01:20:45 am by herkie423 »

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
By the way, to all of you pilots out there, this campaign will feel different.

In the first, it was all big battles, blasting, blasting, blasting. Because it must be. It was a massive war. Clash of the titans. More on brawns than brains.

This time, it is more on brains. Tactics. But still with lots of action.

Offline CT27

I'm still in the process of weaving both your work and mine. Hopefully in 2 weeks, I will finish the storyline for Act 1 and 2. Then I can start FREDing. My estimate the 2 Acts will be at least 20 missions. I don't want this campaign to be long like the first one.

Perhaps the campaign doesn't need to be 60+ missions like the first one, but I think a long campaign can convey the sense of scale that this is a big conflict (I don't mind long campaigns like Derelict or Reboot).  So I hope there's at least one more act or two planned beyond what I sent you.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 09:34:54 pm by CT27 »

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
I will try not lengthen the campaign but we'll never know. With our brains lighting up like Time Square, anything can happen.

I mean, I started with just one mission, the last mission of the Reboot then it became 10, the Acts 1 and 2 which was Act 1 in the original. Later, I hit the Third Shivan War idea so the original campaign grew to 43. Now, the Reboot. The campaign exploded to its present length. So you can imagine how it can be.

But the longer it is, the more meaningful it becomes.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 04:24:14 am by herkie423 »