Author Topic: Gwent  (Read 8625 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Those of you with GoG accounts may have noticed that Gwent is now in public beta. If you've played Witcher 3 you'll know the game (although it's been made vastly more interesting with the addition of lots of new card abilities). If you haven't played, what you've got is a collectable card game which you can play against the PC, or multiplayer (against friends or random people online).

I've played a couple of rounds and it seems interesting. If anyone fancies a friendly game just add me as a friend on GOG (as Karajorma) and we can play a few hands.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Signed up. And currently playing a to get a Sociatel-deck going.

You may have to deal with a few hick-ups on my end - the most recent GPU drivers are not working well with my set-up (NVidia-driver be NVidia drivers)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Invite sent, though not signed up yet - been too busy playing Andromeda multi and the Witcher 3 campaign.  But I enjoy gwent, soooooo.

I'm MP-Ryan on GOG
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
I'm on GoG as "S h iteblast" (spaces to avoid profanity filter) if anyone wants a game.

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
Enioch. As expected.

Fair warning, I'm not giving a single penny until I'm sure I'll like this in the long run. With all that this entails for my progression...

Playing Skellige, BTW.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 04:05:34 pm by Enioch »
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Same here. Although I'm pretty certain I'll give them at least some cash eventually even if I get bored. If you've played a game for 20 hours, then the developers deserve something for their effort. Even if it is only the minimum buy-in.

I tend to play northern kingdoms but I've been playing Monsters for the last couple of days just to get the hang of a different deck.

Offline 0rph3u5

You hobby-vikings sicken me ;)

I've diversified into Monsters as well ... though mostly because I keep getting Wild Hunt cards in my Kegs

EDIT: BTW anyone got the Roach-card? :)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 02:59:22 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline Enioch

No, not yet. I've seen it in play a couple of times, and it's bloody annoying.  :mad:

I have my immortal triple Queensguard going, though.

Offline 0rph3u5

Finally beat the Dagon-Challange, adding two Monsters-Decks in the process - now I only need to grind the cards to make them distinct enough (One is going to be centred around Necrophages with the Elder Vampire as Leader ... the other maybe Beasts or just Weather with Dagon as Leader)

My Rooster as of know:
- Socia'Teal, Eithné - focused on Elves
- Monsters, Eredin - focused on Wild Hunt
- Monsters, Unseen Elder - focues on Necrophages (WIP)
- Monsters, Dagon - focused on Beasts/Weather (WIP)

Because I am still missing a few cards you will see 3x Fog and 3x Foglets in all my Monster decks (small fact of life)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 05:50:10 am by 0rph3u5 »

==================

Offline Enioch

3x Fog and 3x Foglets in all my Monster decks (small fact of life)

You're a bad person and you should feel badm :mad:

****in' weatherdecks

Offline 0rph3u5

It's a long weekend, bet if you check Monday with me I'll have that fixed. :D (actually just got the last Wild Hunt Rider I needed, so that deck already lost 2× Fog just to fit them in)

And, as I told you before, Skellige is awefully predictable when it comes to placement.  Other than that wheater decks suffer from not being able to stall, so if you can play an early lead in the first round they will have a hard time catching up or exhaust their cards doing so.
It's basically the opposite of my Elves-deck against which you dont want me playing cards (because I'll either play specials for my Dol Blathana Defenders or move my Blue Mountians Commandos around).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 08:54:33 pm by 0rph3u5 »

==================

Offline Enioch

It's a long weekend, bet if you check Monday with me I'll have that fixed. :D (actually just got the last Wild Hunt Rider I needed, so that deck already lost 2× Fog just to fit them in)

Good. good.

And, as I told you before, Skellige is awefully predictable when it comes to placement.

Not any more... I have made...changes.  :drevil:

I need some specific silvers, though. I've got some truly terrifying discard / milling combos set up right now, with the skellige equivalents of the Defenders backing them up, but you really need that fourth resurrect and I'd certainly love that bloody weathermage.

Because Priestesses can turn into bears now.  :cool:

EDIT: Hey, Mom, look, I found a forum bug. Apparently yt brackets **** up emoticons.

Offline Enioch

Gremist and ultra-super-late-breaking-good-priestess acquired. With Decoy I can now resurrect five times, two of which can be silvers / golds. Topkek:drevil:  I also got Roach from a random keg, which was nice.

Met another queensguard deck in the ladder today. They had the Queen. I was very envious (you need dimeritium to deal with her, she's bloody OP otherwise).

I'm ever so tempted to mill 'useless' golds to get the necessary scrap for her, but I'm not that stupid.

Offline 0rph3u5

Meanwhile I retried the Dagon-Deck, it simply didn't develop ... and I added quite a few new tricks to my Elves-deck, mostly because the Hawker Smuggler never pans out...

Also to prove that I am superbly evil, I managed to find a way to play 4th Dol Blathanna Protector  :drevil:

Now to solve the problem of the Nilfgaard-Decks that keep playing my Dol Blathanna Trappers back at me (they are too usefull againist Northern Realsm and Monsters to not have but if can't get of them in the draw they haunt you the entire game)

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 06:06:44 am by 0rph3u5 »

==================

Offline Enioch

Also to prove that I am superbly evil, I managed to find a way to play 4th Dol Blathanna Protector  :drevil:

What, you mean at the same time ( :shaking:), or just four copies in total? I love the Protectors, they're so nasty. One thing you should be careful of is Scorch and Dimeritium though, especially if you let them build up too much.

The Skellige have the Captains, which play a similar role to the Protectors in a discard-heavy deck, but I finally phased out my longships and am trying out Bears & Berserkers instead (more consistent damage and they set up the Shieldmaiden flood perfectly). I call the deck 'Mother Russia'.

I might set up another themed longship deck, just for the lulz. Maybe queensguard, three war longships, Pirates, Captains and Light longships, to feed off the Captains?

Hmmmmm.

Offline 0rph3u5

4 copies total if the draw goes my way :) I also got a card that allows me to play at least one as a reliable endgame - dont know how I am going to fit Tovuriel in my deck when I get her, silvers are full

Thanks to other shenenigans I have an answer to Scortch I think

I am also building a reliable thrid pillar into the deck but that will require more Scraps :)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 07:31:45 am by 0rph3u5 »

==================

Offline 0rph3u5

*Sry for the doublepost*

But I wish the game had a replay function or something similar ... I just beat a Nilfgaard Emhyr var Emreis/Rot Tosser-Deck 2-0 in the most devastating victory my Elves have dealt yet. Despite making his capapult 35 and Relentless in the 2nd round he couldn't get out under me - in no small part due to me playing no bronzes in the first round (no resurrections for you, mister) and then he threw just too many spies at me, blocking the use of his Rot Tosser. I also played all three pillars (incl. 3 Protectors at 13, 11 and 11)...

Sadly he forfeited before I could take a screenshoot.

==================

Offline Enioch

Wow, you really are wiping the floor with them, 0rph3u5.

But gather 'round the fire and I'll sing you the Lay of King Bran and his Harem of Harpies

You know how Donar steals a Bronze card from the enemy deck every time he locks someone? Guess what this guy had stolen from his deck halfway through round 2.

So, in the end of Round 2 I resurrect the harpy. Then I Decoy it. And then I cackle like mad when I start round 3 with 12 power on the board, all my Queensguard in the discard pile and 3 healers in my hand.

Not to mention the superbuff.  :drevil:  :lol:

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
If you've played the Witcher 3 DLCs you should know that man trying to control harpies does not end well. :p

Offline Enioch

OH MY GOD, IT HAPPENED AGAIN.

King Bran confirmed Harpy fetishist (seriously this deck just lolnopes most monster decks, it's not even funny).

Also: screenshot of the final turn. His final play were the three crones. Still not enough to beat the bear (topkek, Priestess of Freya MVP).

Also, also: weather forecast says heavy storms are inbound (I am so happy about this drop)