Author Topic: RELEASE: The Scroll of Atankharzim, Part I  (Read 203986 times)

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
Re: RELEASE: The Scroll of Atankharzim, Part I
In Thor's Hammer, Upsilon wing jumps in right before you're told that Upsilon will be jumping in. This is silly and should be fixed.

Also, the Bryn is a dragon, lol.  :D
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
In Thor's Hammer, Upsilon wing jumps in right before you're told that Upsilon will be jumping in. This is silly and should be fixed.

Will fix that, thanks.

Also, the Bryn is a dragon, lol.  :D

I assume you mean it's a tough ship, as opposed to a bug you found where it shows up as SF Dragon instead of SCv Bryn. :P

Offline Antares

- Live Trapping may need to be rebalanced. In my latest run-through of the campaign, I had to replay this mission about a dozen times. The Nahema is not a particularly agile target, but its engine subsystem is tiny, located on the back of the cockpit--and, incidentally, located nowhere near the bomber's actual engines, which do an excellent job of blocking any shots to the center. It's very odd to see multiple wings of fighters showering a Nahema with disruptor blasts, to no effect.

- In Masks, if the Khitteb starts taking hits, it will give a message about how it is "taking taking damage."  :P

- If you destroy the SC Vayu in Masks--which is definitely possible, but takes a little doing--it will still manage to report for duty in Irkalla Passes.  :nervous:

- When the Vayu is destroyed in Masks, you get a message that the SC Kullab has been "intercepted," long after it has jumped out. (Disabling and destroying the Kullab is theoretically possible, but given that it's a Lilith and jumps out a few minutes into the mission, it would probably take a lot of work.)

- The version of Irkalla Passes playable through the tech room defaults to the GVTA version, even if you're playing on the ISF branch.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 02:14:49 pm by Antares »
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I appreciate all these reports.  We'll have to ask you to beta test Part II for us. :D

- In Masks, if the Khitteb starts taking hits, it will give a message about how it is "taking taking damage."  :P

Fixed.

- If you destroy the SC Vayu in Masks--which is definitely possible, but takes a little doing--it will still manage to report for duty in Irkalla Passes.  :nervous:

:confused:  Did you somehow destroy it as it was jumping out?  There are sexps that specifically check for each Shivan ship in that mission.  (They also check for each of the ISF ships.)

- When the Vayu is destroyed in Masks, you get a message that the SC Kullab has been "intercepted," long after it has jumped out. (Disabling and destroying the Kullab is theoretically possible, but given that it's a Lilith and jumps out a few minutes into the mission, it would probably take a lot of work.)

Oops.  I copied and pasted the sexp for the Kullab and forgot to change the ship name to Vayu. :nervous:

- The version of Irkalla Passes playable through the tech room defaults to the GVTA version, even if you're playing on the ISF branch.

The tech room has no way of knowing which campaign branch you're on, since it's not in campaign mode.  I had to pick one branch to default to in that situation, so I picked the GVTA branch due to the extra stuff at the beginning.

I am now uploading a new version to Knossos and the Installer.  I'll upload a new version pending additional info on the Vayu.

Offline Antares

See me kvetching about Live Trapping.  :P

The Vayu was getting close to jumping out, but didn't make it. When it showed up in Irkalla Passes, it came in at 35% hull integrity, and was well below that even before it made it to the node in Masks.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
See me kvetching about Live Trapping.  :P

Noted.  Will test.

The Vayu was getting close to jumping out, but didn't make it. When it showed up in Irkalla Passes, it came in at 35% hull integrity, and was well below that even before it made it to the node in Masks.

Hmm.  That means the sexps worked correctly, but you managed to destroy it in the process of departure.  So I'll just change the events that are actually checked.  It turns out that I had already made sexps for checking whether the ships were destroyed, but in Irkalla Passes I checked the departure cues instead.  Simple to fix.

Offline Antares

I did some testing (using cheats  :ick:), and it looks like my first playthrough of Masks didn't properly register the Vayu's destruction. I did a little better this time around and disabled its engines before it got anywhere near the node, and got a different debriefing about routing all of the Shivan ships.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I modified the Irkalla Passes sexps and also edited the POF data on the Nahema.  It turns out the HTL model has the engine nearly embedded in the model, instead of on the surface.  A new version has been uploaded with all the fixes to date.

Offline Antares

Is it possible to save the Harthenet in Crashing the Party? Every time I seem to be doing a good job of defending it and going after the Ranoth's beam cannons, its hull immediately counts down to zero. Is it scripted to explode?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Is it possible to save the Harthenet in Crashing the Party? Every time I seem to be doing a good job of defending it and going after the Ranoth's beam cannons, its hull immediately counts down to zero. Is it scripted to explode?

It is.  For story purposes the Harthenet is an acceptable loss because the Narandum is the primary objective.  After Part I was released, we discovered that a few players managed to save it (whereas none of the beta testers did), so I added a self-destruct sexp.  The sexp triggers if the Ranoth is destroyed or if its beams are disarmed.

Offline Antares

In any mission where you are asked to scan any class of Shivan corvette, the scan takes about two seconds to complete. This may have been done for balance reasons in Lucifer's Cloak, but it's a little jarring when it takes you so long to scan everything else.

In both versions of Irkalla Passes, after the Lamarask destroys the Ranyakan and asks Command for reinforcements, Command replies that the entire allied fleet is in Alpha Nareasi. However, the text for that line says that the fleet is in NGC 6402.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
In any mission where you are asked to scan any class of Shivan corvette, the scan takes about two seconds to complete. This may have been done for balance reasons in Lucifer's Cloak, but it's a little jarring when it takes you so long to scan everything else.

It's literally the same scan time as in retail FS2.  But you make a good point.  For reference, the Cain, Lilith, and Rakshasa all have 15 second scan times, and the Demon 10 seconds per subsystem.  I've changed it to 12 seconds for the cruisers and 15 seconds for the corvettes.

In both versions of Irkalla Passes, after the Lamarask destroys the Ranyakan and asks Command for reinforcements, Command replies that the entire allied fleet is in Alpha Nareasi. However, the text for that line says that the fleet is in NGC 6402.

Yeah, this is a minor tweak I made to the message.  That voice file can't really be updated without Sesq's auto-generation, and he's pretty busy these days.

Does Sesq use some sort specail software? Would probably be good to have it available elseway.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
He has his own customized setup.  I'll bump the thread in the internal.

Offline Antares

In missions where the Knossos has a friendly IFF, the Shivans will try to attack it.

In practice, this means they will move to the center of the portal and fire into empty space.  :P

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Really?  Neat. :)

I'll fix that, of course.

I really should test the whole thing properly one day...

Offline Antares

Quibbles in The Tablet of Destinies:

- Leo wing (the Manticores) appears out of thin air rather than jumping into the battlefield. Other fighter wings are deployed from the Irkalla, but these just spawn out of nowhere. At first I thought this was an attempt to simulate their being deployed from the Bryn that jumps in (since they always spawn in that general area), but according to the tech room, the Bryn has no fighter complement.

- According to the mission briefing, the fighters and bombers that are deployed from the Tribute will not be under the player's control. This is untrue; you can issue orders to those ships the moment they appear on the battlefield.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 01:44:04 am by Antares »

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Just installed TSoA. I was happy to see voice acting in this campaign, especially since it's an appropriate Vasudan-esque synthesized voice. It does stumble a bit with some few pronunciations, but it's still awesome. :D
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Quibbles in The Tablet of Destinies:

- Leo wing (the Manticores) appears out of thin air rather than jumping into the battlefield. Other fighter wings are deployed from the Irkalla, but these just spawn out of nowhere. At first I thought this was an attempt to simulate their being deployed from the Bryn that jumps in (since they always spawn in that general area), but according to the tech room, the Bryn has no fighter complement.

This is a mistake.  I'll have to think about how to fix it.

- According to the mission briefing, the fighters and bombers that are deployed from the Tribute will not be under the player's control. This is untrue; you can issue orders to those ships the moment they appear on the battlefield.

Thanks, fixed.

Just installed TSoA. I was happy to see voice acting in this campaign, especially since it's an appropriate Vasudan-esque synthesized voice. It does stumble a bit with some few pronunciations, but it's still awesome. :D

Glad you like it. :D  Sesquipedalian is the one who came up with the speech generator used in this campaign.