Author Topic: RELEASE: The Scroll of Atankharzim, Part I  (Read 204076 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Re: RELEASE: The Scroll of Atankharzim, Part I
Both branches completed. Very, very nice campaign indeed. Also, congratulations for the very high quality voice acting, I love how you set it in order to make it work from the perspective of a Vasudan. Looking forward to its sequel.  :yes:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Thanks for the kind words. :)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Version 1.7.0 is out with MVP 4.3.x support, plus a few things...

a) a new Delta Naraesai planet image (png instead of pcx)
b) Axem's markbox script to indicate which Arachnas turrets need to be bombed in Daddy Longlegs and Arachnophobia
c) better model support for bombing the Kraken's fighterbays

Offline SF-Junky

• Bread can mold, what can you do?
Good thing I finished my re-run just this afternoon.  :p :hopping:

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:lol:

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Good thing I finished my re-run just this afternoon.  :p :hopping:
:lol:

OMFG, that's hilarious.  :lol: :lol: :lol:
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Allright, you may replay then~

Offline SF-Junky

Is that intentional that the Stiletto II is now a dumbfire missile?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 04:09:41 pm by SF-Junky »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
True dumbfire, or heat-seeking?  It has always been a heat-seeking missile.

Offline SF-Junky

True dumbfire. Like big, fat Greek slow Tempest.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
That's definitely a bug.  Can you see what nightly build this started happening on?  I assume it's related to multilock, which looks to have been introduced in the July 27 nightly build:
https://github.com/scp-fs2open/fs2open.github.com/pull/2207
https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=96763.0

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I'm still using 200727 for testing purposes and yes, the Stiletto behaves just as described by SF-Junky. I haven't tested it on more recent builds.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Well, try testing the Stiletto on the build before that one.

Offline SF-Junky

Oh boy, what's going on here? (see attachment) Phi 1 was not destroyed, according to the mission log.

How can I switch to an older build? I'm not exactly familiar yet with Knossos. I take it have to change the following line on the mod.json file, but what's the oldest build I can run Scroll 1.7.0 with?

Code: [Select]
"version": ">=20.1.0-20200804"
[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Heh.  That's a bug which should be solved in the next nightly build, if you can wait 12 hours.  Otherwise, Scroll should work on builds as early as 3.7.4.  However, builds prior to 3.8 cannot be launched through Knossos.

Offline SF-Junky

That's a bug which should be solved in the next nightly build, if you can wait 12 hours.
No, I couldn't. :p

Finished it this noon. I came across a few more points of critique or rather things you could improve on.

- The Hyperion turrets seem not to reset when idle.

- In several missions you do not have sufficient secondary ammunition if you choose to change your fighter class, especially during the earlier stages of the campaign.

- Sometimes the Shivans fire Terran weapons (Cyclops, Piranha).

- Some of the earlier missions are unnecessarily long imho, especially Upon the Horizon. I think it would benefit from cutting the number of hostile fighters, particularly since the mission makes a point of the NTB being short of materiel and in the need of scrapping their fighters.

- Shark Bait! I was whining and *****ing at this one when I was playing it. Alright, saving the Arknu is not necessary to proceed with the campaign. Yet I tried and I tried hard and after 10 or more attempts I finally succeeded. What I disliked about this mission is not that it offers the player a huge challenge in fulfilling a secondary objective, but by the way it does. Because it contains a few things which are pretty much at the top of my personal list of things that make a bad Freespace mission:
1. Enemy capital ships jump within 1,000 meters or so and just do two things: fire a volley of beams and then get blown to pieces by my own capital ship. That sure makes for nice fireworks but there is absolutely no role for the player here. Plus, it adds a credibility problem. Conveniently, most Shivans jump in right in front of the Arknu's main guns. Why would they do that?
2. Why are the sentry guns protected? I can't think of any reason why neither the Arknu nor my wingmen would not want to kill them. Sure, there might be higher-priority targets. At least give the player the option to un-protect them globally, e.g. by pressing [1].
3. We have a destroyer deployed, but for some reason it fails to launch more than two fighters wings even when it gets blown to pieces. I know the mission setup is to play bait and under normal circumstances you would not deploy 150 craft to kill a cargo depot. A few more reserves would add to credibility, though.

- In The Tablet of Destinies I think the bombers should not fire torpedos at the Lucifer until its shields are down, because why would they waste their ammo when it effectively does zero damage?
- Also I don't really get what the great strategy is behind parking a huge target (Tribute) right in front of a hostile superdestroyer. I know, deploying huge warships in the dumbest conceivable way is kind of a Freespace tradition (Hades, Phoenicia, Colossus, anyone?), but I'm not convinced this is one we necessarily should move over to fan-made campaigns. :doubt:

That said, I very much enjoyed my second and third runs through Scroll of Atankharzim and I'm sure those won't be my last ones. :)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 01:29:48 pm by SF-Junky »

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I know this is gonna sound like a stupid question, but have the downloads in the first post been updated with the new files?  I didn't see a link to a knossos page.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
That's a bug which should be solved in the next nightly build, if you can wait 12 hours.
No, I couldn't. :p
:D

Finished it this noon. I came across a few more points of critique or rather things you could improve on.

- The Hyperion turrets seem not to reset when idle.

I'm not a model guy.  Does anyone have a patch that can handle this?

- In several missions you do not have sufficient secondary ammunition if you choose to change your fighter class, especially during the earlier stages of the campaign.

This might be accidental, or it might not.  Which missions, and which fighters?

- Sometimes the Shivans fire Terran weapons (Cyclops, Piranha).

I thought we fixed all of these.  Which missions does this occur in?

- Some of the earlier missions are unnecessarily long imho, especially Upon the Horizon. I think it would benefit from cutting the number of hostile fighters, particularly since the mission makes a point of the NTB being short of materiel and in the need of scrapping their fighters.

Well, maybe.  However I like the mission, and I'm not really inclined to try rebalancing it now that we're hard at work on Part II.

- Shark Bait! I was whining and *****ing at this one when I was playing it. Alright, saving the Arknu is not necessary to proceed with the campaign. Yet I tried and I tried hard and after 10 or more attempts I finally succeeded. What I disliked about this mission is not that it offers the player a huge challenge in fulfilling a secondary objective, but by the way it does. Because it contains a few things which are pretty much at the top of my personal list of things that make a bad Freespace mission:
1. Enemy capital ships jump within 1,000 meters or so and just do two things: fire a volley of beams and then get blown to pieces by my own capital ship. That sure makes for nice fireworks but there is absolutely no role for the player here. Plus, it adds a credibility problem. Conveniently, most Shivans jump in right in front of the Arknu's main guns. Why would they do that?
2. Why are the sentry guns protected? I can't think of any reason why neither the Arknu nor my wingmen would not want to kill them. Sure, there might be higher-priority targets. At least give the player the option to un-protect them globally, e.g. by pressing [1].
3. We have a destroyer deployed, but for some reason it fails to launch more than two fighters wings even when it gets blown to pieces. I know the mission setup is to play bait and under normal circumstances you would not deploy 150 craft to kill a cargo depot. A few more reserves would add to credibility, though.

1) Sometimes, nice fireworks are the main reason to do something. ;)
2) I don't actually remember why the sentries are protected.  It's possible this is to encourage the wingmen to attack the cargo.
3) Fair point.  Maybe not all of the ships in the hangar were ready for launch.

- In The Tablet of Destinies I think the bombers should not fire torpedos at the Lucifer until its shields are down, because why would they waste their ammo when it effectively does zero damage?

Another fair point.

- Also I don't really get what the great strategy is behind parking a huge target (Tribute) right in front of a hostile superdestroyer. I know, deploying huge warships in the dumbest conceivable way is kind of a Freespace tradition (Hades, Phoenicia, Colossus, anyone?), but I'm not convinced this is one we necessarily should move over to fan-made campaigns. :doubt:

Well, the Irkalla is trying to get to the Knossos, and the Tribute is exiting the Knossos.  It's inevitable that they would be face to face.  Also, who knows how long it takes to charge a carrier's jump drive.

That said, I very much enjoyed my second and third runs through Scroll of Atankharzim and I'm sure those won't be my last ones. :)

Glad to hear it. :)

I know this is gonna sound like a stupid question, but have the downloads in the first post been updated with the new files?  I didn't see a link to a knossos page.

All downloads - Knossos, Installer, and manual - have been updated.  I'll add a Knossos image to the post though.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Thanks Goob!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

IIRC "Reset When Idle" flag needs to be added to the turret subsystem.