Author Topic: Let's play Blood Bowl II: Legendary Edition  (Read 8380 times)

Offline Mika

Let's play Blood Bowl II: Legendary Edition
Blood Bowl II got a massive update with several new races, most of them being in the harder end of the challenge spectrum. Included is a race that is just begging to be played in the HLP, and this is ladies and gentlemen, not Orcs, but Goblins.

So what are Goblins? Basic Goblins are relatively weak and fairly limited in their skill selections and get rolled over pretty much by everyone. Goblins have Pogoer as a ball carrier. His main ability is to jump over players with Leap. Also, as a team they rely very heavily on the random number generator (known as the god Nuffle in Blood Bowl), far more so than other races I've been playing. So I'm won't be able to steamroll the AI like last time.

What makes the goblins specifically stand out, are these things:
  • Goblins get access to two Trolls. Yes, two trolls, both being Really Stupid. They fail to act 1 out of 6 even if somebody is standing next to them, or 3 out of 6 if not. Yes, they are still Very Hungry.
  • All aboard Troll Air! Trolls can throw goblins to the opposition players. Occasionally injuring either of them. Rest assured the opposition never sees it coming!  :lol:
  • Goblins love bribery, so we're going to foul. A lot. Think goblins as Corporal Nobby from Discworld. Kick 'em while they're down!
  • Goblins got Secret Weapons. That's three players to be exact. They are the Looney, Bombardier, and the Fanatic.

• Fanatic is basically on drugs and swings a massive morning star, hitting everyone along his path, Even own players, and including those who are down can get injured. Since he genuinely believes he fights for the god, that gives him massive strength with few pieces in the game exceeding his. However, if he somehow gets knocked down, he is also certainly knocked out!
  • Looney goes to pitch with a chainsaw. Nuff said. There's 1/6 chance the chainsaw backfires, and saws instead the Looney.
  • Bombardier carries an assortment of bombs to the pitch, and throws them around. This can occasionally lead to hot potato play where the opposing teams are passing the bomb until somebody fails his catch or throw roll, and the bomb explodes next to him. Did I mention Goblins have short throw range? His saving grace can be getting Hail Mary Pass, after which he is basically an organic howitzer throwing bombs far behind the bltizing range everywhere in the pitch. He does that inaccurately.

All Secret Weapons can only stay on the pitch for one drive. After that the Referee spots them, and gives a red card. That's also where bribing comes in handy.

So yes, this time it's Nuffle be praised! Gobbos are going to get injured and horribly maimed, and frankly, it's a sacrifice I'll have to make. There's more of you where you came from, and Goblin lives are cheap (40 000 gold to be exact).

Anyone interested in a community play? Answer the questions three:

1) What is your name?

2) What is your favorite color?

3) What is the position you would like to play?
Relaxed movement is always more effective than forced movement.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Re: Let's play Blood Bowl II: Legendary Edition
Is this an active contribution role or just offer up my name for the slaughter?

If the latter:

• Stargog Slayazh
  • Blue.. No Yel......Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • Looney
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Mika

You can contribute actively, or you can offer your name for the slaughter. I'm fine with both, so either one works.  ;7

Let's see what kind of meta game gets built up this time.

Offline Mika

You're...

You're beautiful!

« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 08:38:26 am by Mika »

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Tiny But Cruel!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I want to get back on this wild ride

1. Spooninator Trollinator
2. Pink
3. Still hungry
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Mika

Spoon, you're the captain in Troll Air!

Gotta love the stitch in the nose!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I feel like I've just been doxxed
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
All aboard!

• Name: Enigob Skullbasha
  • Colour: Dark Green
  • Position: Fanatic (obviously)
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline Mika

Meet your alter-ego

Stop sitting on your morning star and get back to swinging that morning star!

Note your strength (STR) is 7. You outstrength our STR 5 Trolls from the start... While STR 3 is the norm for most players.

The thing is, since both of your hands are doing their best to keep the ball under control, you can't play ball (No Hands skill). The other ball I mean.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Do Goblins have Blitzers?

Offline Mika

Eh...

There's no dedicated player called Blitzer in the team. A couple of the players can and will take that role in this playthrough. The obvious blitzer out of the box is the Looney with his Chainsaw, but Trolls do that work as well too. Looney fails 1/6 with the Chainsaw backfire, while Troll can be Really Stupid 1/6, so it doesn't make a big difference. And since there will be two Trolls, I think we are going to see several rounds of both Trolls being Really Stupid and scratching their heads, probably at the most crucial situations. Looney is just more likely to injure opposition with the Chainsaw specific +3 on injuries. Troll can get only +1 with Mighty Blow.

Occasionally, situation may call for stacking several goblins around a player and then blitzing with one of the gobbos. Especially if one happens to get block. That's one of the team's specialities; goblins have no normal skill access unless a double is rolled during level-up. So if one of the lil' buggers rolls block, he will be immediately promoted to blitzing duties. He is the most reliable blitzer after all (with STR 2).  :lol:

Obviously, this means any Gobbo levelling twice and not rolling a double is sacked immediately. Don't be sad, it's the lil bugger's reward, he gets to live a normal life.

Offline Enioch

Of course I'm the thinker of this outfit. See Enigob pensively observing the game, from his comfortable seat....

Can secret weapons characters level up and, if so, what does that offer?

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Obviously, this means any Gobbo levelling twice and not rolling a double is sacked immediately. Don't be sad, it's the lil bugger's reward, he gets to live a normal life.
You mean, dinner, right?
Please don't play this game to win, I want hilarity more than winning.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Mika

I don't think I'll be able to play this with any intent on winning. Never coached goblins before, and they are very random, often leading to situation requiring clutch plays. Besides, I also want to throw some gobbos for ****s and giggles.

Secret Weapon characters CAN level up. The question is, what would be good for them :D

Looney and Fanatic would both benefit from block. Fanatic could use extra movement, or Grab, which allows him to move the players to the direction he wants them to go instead of normal pushback rules. Sure Feet for automatic re-rolling of Go For Its would also be good, it's basically more movement. It just remains to be seen whether we can ever get one that far. Looney is a harder call, he's pretty good straight from the beginning. Side step could make crowd surfing him harder. Mighty Blow with the Fanatic could also be really evil.

From what I've read, few teams are more destructive than goblins when Nuffle is riding with you. Fanatic alone can cause five injuries in the first round he is active, though that's very improbable. If Nuffle is not with you, then it's a bit different...

Offline Mika

Alright, first two matches are done. I have to say that goblins are indeed VERY unpredictable. Basically everything you do is a risk.

The best part here is that I can play for the win, but it will still look like random things going on :D

Offline Mika

Alright, we start with the team roster. There's a bunch of gobbos, and some hopefully better players. Oh, and the team name is Flyin' Goblinz'

This is how you guys look like. The photo is taken just when the team was created and nobody has died (yet). Just like from the earlier classroom photos!

We are playing against Bretonnians. Noble knights and dirty peasants and all that. The team is Fearless Crowns Clowns.

We are playing a team with a lower value, so we get to choose our inducements. In this case, it's two bribes. To keep the Secret Weapons running

The stadium is called GobboAir Platz

Here's a team presentation picture that seemed interesting. A chainsaw running on whale oil produces hefty smoke, it even looks like Slayazh has a beard, but that's smoke!

Enigob Skullbasha swings that ball, and knocks down dirty peasants. No injuries or KOs, unfortunately

The first blood is drawn with this blitz from a totally normal Puny Goblin #1

But he manages to surprise the mighty knight by doing a roll. The knight wastes critical 200 milliseconds gaping the goblin with his maw open.

And that's a clear mission kill. The knight breaks his back on the way down. That guy wont be playing Blood Bowl ever again!

We humiliate Brets even further on Turn #2 by surfing their Sancho Pancha

To finalize the deal, our Bombardier throws a bomb to a peasant.

But he fumbles the pass, and the bomb explodes next to his feet, knocking him out for good. And he's now out for the entire match! Slayazh counts his lucky marbles that he is still alive and well, as he was pretty close to the epicenter of the explosion.

Meanwhile, our Pogoer did a bit of run away play, and gets blitzed

Luckily, this blitzer stumbles on the last possible meter and comes falling down

It's re-rolled, but the resulting block dice say Pogoer stays where he is. Whew!

Slayazh offers help with his Chainsaw

But he fails(!) to break armor! How the hell do you manage that with a Chainsaw???

Enigob is flaying his morning star, but the reason you haven't seen a lot of mentions about it is because even if he has been successful in hitting, he hasn't particularly managed to deal damage with it. Here's a momentary shot where he stuns a peon.

The Pogoer is a lone wolf, and once again goes alone. He utilizes all the potential stored energy of the spring, and leaps over the knight.

This I think, is our Spooninator troll, doing what he does best, bashing skulls.

Spoon, could you hit them vewy woughly next time? So that they stay out?! Capiche?

Slayazh is pissed off with the knight's weapon carrier, and attempts to saw him. He fails.

However, our upfield protector goblin (haha!) has had enough, and boots the player laying on the field. Preferably there where it hurts

Unfortunately, the referee is a spoil sport clean game Lemmy, and gives a red card for that behavior. Not on his pitch he says. Remind me to make sure that he needs the services Referee Protection Program after the match.

Pogoer has had enough of the incompetence (there were several near misses on this turn) and runs over the finish line

Oh hells no he didn't do that!

Also, meet our charming cheerleaders

Oh, I sort of forgot that the Referee spots the Secret Weapons after they have been on a pitch for one drive. That means I'll have to draw out the games in future until Turn 8 so that the Secret Weapons have a chance to stay on the pitch for the second period.

Let's see if our clean game Lemmy can resist the lucrative call of personal profit.

He can't for Slayazh, so he will be on the pitch for the next two turns more.

And he can't for Enigob either.

It's about God damn time Lemmy!

Then disaster strikes. The ball lands immediately next to the middle line, and the bloody Bretonnians catch the ball straight from the air. We don't have any players there, as I intentionally withdrew them closer to the center. That may have been a mistake :D

The team responds immediately by swarming the area. Slayazh manages to KO one. You have to roll one better Slayazh, to keep the opposition players off the pitch for the ENTIRE game!

Our second troll Gutstench then performs the first GobboAir flight. It's a bit annoying that the range of the flight is just one short of reaching the intended destination, the ball carrier. Well, go there anyways.

Yes, yes, he's flying!

Wait, wut???? So lemme get this straight - Gutstench managed to throw the goblin, but he threw him inaccurately. The gobbo landed directly on top of Slayazh, and knocked him out for good.

Out-effing-standing

Further madness results in the knight getting blocked several times in a sequence, but not getting knocked down. The only option was then to surround him

Here's a snapshot of Spoon being Really Stupid. C'mon troll, it's not that hard! You only had to hit him vewy woughly!

Gutstench shows how it's done

We then get a knock down on a yeoman

It's gotta be that roll that confuses them!

Finally, we boot one knight conveniently lying down. That doesn't do anything.

Then it's time for the half time

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
On the bright side at least I wasn't hit by a flying Kirk.

Offline Enioch

Enigob Skullbasha swings that ball, and knocks down dirty peasants. No injuries or KOs, unfortunately

As planned. It's all because of my contract. We are looking to make things impressive for the sponsors, not end the game in like five minutes.

Also I may have been..."incentivised" to not kill Bretonians.

I will neither confirm nor deny.

But he fails(!) to break armor! How the hell do you manage that with a Chainsaw???

Good question. This must be investigated!  :hopping:

Enigob is flaying his morning star, but the reason you haven't seen a lot of mentions about it is because even if he has been successful in hitting, he hasn't particularly managed to deal damage with it. Here's a momentary shot where he stuns a peon.

There, you see?
You can't blame me for not hitting the enemy. If you want actual damage, gimme a bigger morningstar!  :headz:

This I think, is our Spooninator troll, doing what he does best, bashing skulls.

Yup, sounds about right.  :nervous:

Also, meet our charming cheerleaders

Hubba hubba.

Here's a snapshot of Spoon being Really Stupid.

Yup, definitely sounds about right.  :nervous:  :shaking:

Go go Flyin'Goblinz!

Offline Mika

Hubba hubba.

That meme was... unexpected. Cracked me up for good :D

You'll also need to earn that bigger morning star! They aren't exactly cheap you know.

What it comes to the unladen airspeed velocity of a goblin vs Kirk, it's also about where the said projectile hits. Kirk hits slightly above abdomen and that's transferred to the backwards movement of the guards. Gutstench threw the goblin chest first on Slayazh's head, which is naturally supported by the spine and which doesn't fold or move away just like that. I reckon the gobbo landing on another gobbo is gonna hurt more!