Author Topic: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.14.3 (combined launcher/installer)  (Read 197786 times)

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.14.3 (combined launcher/installer)
Yes, hundrets and hundrets of megabytes  :sigh:, that is why I was asking. I got nine versions of bpc-audio1.vp and so on...
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Generally, you can delete all but the most recent versions of all mods except for MediaVPs and probably FSPort/FSPort-MediaVPs. These are the "base" mods that are used as a requirement by the majority of existing mods, and many of these mods can rely on older versions of these.

I personally force whatever mods I play to use the latest and greatest MediaVPs by making a brute force modification in their mod.json file - replacing MediaVPs dependency version with 4.3.3 (at the moment). This is NOT supported, and quite likely to cause issues in case of more advanced mods, so your mileage may vary wildly. Although I'd personally say that most retail-like mods (Homesick, Sync, Uncharted Territory...) are pretty safe to have this done to them, lately I also forced The Aftermath: Reboot in the same way and found no real issues across the bunch of missions I tried.

Also, Blue Planet *does* have some mods that use it as a dependency. I recall that Mantle and Friends and Foes relied on some quite old version of BP, and there's Blue Planet: Battle Captains and possibly VOTC that might do so also. I think the rest of BP-reliant mods (Battle of Neptune, Warmachine, incoming Mote in the Sunbeam) should be happy with the most recent version.
Mito [PL] - Today at 8:52 PM
I was supposed to make a short presentation about basics of optical fibers and here I am, listening to Eurobeat while reading about quantum cryptography.

Offline Vidmaster

Yes, all valid points and I know how to do all this stuff too. After all, I have been part of this community for almost half of my life (is  ;7 or  :wtf: more appropriate?).
The thing is just that I wanted to switch to Knossos due to the ease of updating but I am running into problems now that make me question if a manually managed install might still be the better option.

Is the Knossos source-code open and available? Depending on the underlying tech, I might even consider attempting to do a Pull/Merge Request to fix the issues / missing functions I was mentioning...

For those who have just tuned in, we were talking about
Is there a "clean-up" function anywhere, computing a dependency graph for all the currently installed games/mods and then removing everything not referenced by that graph anymore?
On that note, a verify all that verifies all the installed mods/games in order would be very nice too  ;7.

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
It is available on github, under ngld's repositories.  On mobile at the moment so forgive me for not having a link handy :)
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Vidmaster

Found it. Gosh, it is python-based :sigh: and some web-stuff on-top (or is Node-JS used for Python today as well?) Anyway, not my cup of tea.
Which does not mean that the community, including myself, does not appreciate your work, ngld :) .

Anyway, back to topic:
Generally, you can delete all but the most recent versions of all mods (...)

I manually cleaned up my installation now, which included updating and verifying. I got back over 65GB of storage from the tons of unneeded data. :rolleyes: I also found several GBs inside its temp-folder.
Dare I say it, as cool as Knossos is, it seems to focus too much on the fresh install and not on maintaining one.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 07:13:47 am by Vidmaster »

Well, given that this is an early beta that has a bunch of feature requests piled up but its main coder is curently unavailable... Dare I say, praise what you have at the moment :P

Also, I am absolutely sure that incremental updates (that is, downloading only files/archives that were modified between mod updates) and cleanup of leftovers are definitely in the plans if ngld gets his free time back.
Mito [PL] - Today at 8:52 PM
I was supposed to make a short presentation about basics of optical fibers and here I am, listening to Eurobeat while reading about quantum cryptography.