Author Topic: RELEASE: Inferno Nostos: Act 1  (Read 200482 times)

Re: RELEASE: Inferno Nostos: Act 1
Hell Yes! Nice! Will try immediately :)

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Ah. I haven't seen this in so long I've forgotten the solution to it. What do you do when you end up with duplicate HUD overlays? External high-res HUD. That was it.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 10:39:15 pm by Commander Zane »

Offline mr.WHO

Whoa! Finished the whole Act 1 in one run!

!!!Spoilers!!!

Spoiler:
- First missions are brutal! Ships dying everywhere and you can't do ****.
- Second mission background is very nice...someone on the surface must having a very bad day!
- kinda don't like the new EA depiction as fasisct/comunist/brainwashed bunch of crazy.
- at least EA admiral Falon has some character (in one mission).
- EA bomb....coz meson warheads are for GTA pussies.
- my belowed Perseus Adv. + (nerfed)Hastor combo is back.
- I hate Mihos...I hate everything that based on Ullysses, I hate it so much.
- I didn't thought I say it but capships have too many different types of secondary weapons - EA ship kinda shoot the whole rainbow palette.
- EA VLS missiles, especially on Darkness/Skotas looks amazing
- EA cluster flak and GTA "shotgun" turrets kinda cool and effective, oh and EA blob turret with emp effect - cheeky!
- New EA ships looks amazing
- GTD Boreas looks like crap
- love the the entire GTA panic in one mission when hearing that the Lindos is coming their way.
- my first thoughts on the lasr mission: "that's not how you blockade the node....wait are we actually defeding the entry point instead exit? That's not how you blockade especially against shivans!" <later that mission: entire shivan fleet jump in> "that's definetly the wrong node end we are defending!"
- to my taste there is too many missions where you are told to do something, but it's made impossible due to mission scenario (I think I saw "you can't destroy/prevent X" in debriefing recomendation of nearly every mission".
- kinda nailed that "GTA traitor" is double agent from very beginning.
- over all while this release looks better from technical and graphical point of view, I think that old R1 campaign was much better.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 10:59:33 pm by mr.WHO »

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
I added spoiler tags to your post. Please use
Code: [Select]
[spoiler][/spoiler] tags in this thread to be considerate to those who haven't had a chance to play it yet!
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Offline mr.WHO

Thanks - added spoiler code to my post.

Whoa! Finished the whole Act 1 in one run!

Now you have to wait only 15 years until R2. :D

Offline emark4

So hypothetically if I wanted to download this and try it out, should I play any of inferno's previous releases first? Like, is this a sequel or a reboot of the inferno series?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Reboot.

There are a lot of dialogue pile-ups in the later missions, stuff happening out of order. Feels like it needed a few more days of playtesting.

So hypothetically if I wanted to download this and try it out, should I play any of inferno's previous releases first? Like, is this a sequel or a reboot of the inferno series?

This is a reboot. Of course you can, but... don't (atleast not before this).

Even if you want to play that inofficial INFR1 update that was released last year (it is still worth it :nod: ), the techdescriptions spoil the story of this, R2 and R3 (not the details of course for they changed, but the major plotpoints are probably still the same AFAIK). Not that you wouldn't constantly run into them on the forums anyway, but still...

INFA doesn't have any spoiler, but I don't know how far this still matches the current plot, which has been changed several times.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I don't like how 'spam Corinthos win mission' becomes viable later on.

I don't like how 'spam Corinthos win mission' becomes viable later on.

Well this isn't the testing board, it's the RELEASE THREAD

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Isn't that where feedback for a released campaign goes?

Well if you have access to testing board, maybe not? Chance is it will go under in the other posts, and probably keep people from playing a very very fine campaign, that's more bug free than 95+% of other campaigns (atleast AFAIK).
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 01:19:18 am by Nightmare »

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
Reboot.

There are a lot of dialogue pile-ups in the later missions, stuff happening out of order. Feels like it needed a few more days of playtesting.

YOU ADDED THOSE :p
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Q. Were these last-minute edits or did I manage to miss them while playing the missions countless times? :sigh:

Offline QuakeIV

• test
I'd assume plenty of people will be playing it regardless.

Anyways I kindof wanted to post some thoughts now that I've limped my way through several missions despite joystick problems:

Spoiler:
Sound Design:  This is the best sound design I have played in a campaign, the BFOOM sounds when missiles detonate or enemy fighters die is absurdly satisfying and a lot of the other sound effects play in decently well with it.  It creates a kindof atmospheric cannons in the distance sound when there are big dogfights.  I'd say the gun sounds are profoudnly meh compared to the missiles, not good, not bad, just kindof there.  Fighter deaths though, ****ing hell.

Strategic Situation: I really love the feel of the ships, when you see two Lindos bombing the **** out of Janus and later see them fighting GTVA ships, you get a really strong feel of two formidable sides with powerful ships who are trying to outdo eachother.  When you hit the Delta Serpentis node and then their whole fleet comes running to try to get out before they are cut off from logistics, you get a feeling like people actually thought about how the EA aught to react if the GTVA was credibly threatening their supply lines.  It might help to note why they haven't long since glassed Janus, since by all appearances they could easily have done that in only a few days, but overall the strategic aspects of the space fight are great.

Tactical Situation: Actual fights in missions kindof vary for me.  I'd say the warship-to-warship aspect is the most fleshed out.  When an EA corvette drops out and dumps a gigantic volley of fast, un-interceptable missiles straight into the beam cannons of the destroyer you are defending, and does considerable hull damage aside, it really builds an atmosphere of tension where you want that thing gone as soon as possible.  The fact that the damage is concentrated into fast bursts only helps this, because you want it gone before the next volley is let off.  Its threatening as hell, and thats very unique among mods in this community.  With many campaigns, either something feels stupidly overpowered in ways where you think 'how the hell are they even supposed to be doing that' or it just doesnt feel that dangerous.  I'd say fighter combat is a bit meh to me.  The fact that their tactical bomber things are gliding around at insane speeds, dodging dozens of missile, and in general being way better fighters than their actual fighters (while also being deployed in huge numbers) kindof kills that for me a bit, but not to the point where its bad, its just not particularly good.

Visuals: I'd say this is a mixed bag, the sheer amount of models that were added is truly remarkable.  Basically two whole new stylistically consistent fleets were added in, which is beyond spectacular.  The individual ships range from great to passable, but the sheer volume is whats really cool.  On the flip side, a lot of the guns are kindof laggy, vulcans for instance will slow things down considerably.  I'm not sure why but I wanted to point it out in case there was something that could be done about it.  My computer isn't particularly a potato (i3 8350k, GTX 970, 16gb of DDR4-2400).  Nothing particularly maxes out, CPU cores all rest at around 50%, plenty of RAM, GPU is fine, the game just slows down at times inexplicably.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 01:49:30 am by QuakeIV »

Offline emark4

So forgive me if I'm asking a dumb question. I dont know anything about this inferno stuff. This war depicted here sounds like the one from blue planet. Just wanna ask how is this one different?

So forgive me if I'm asking a dumb question. I dont know anything about this inferno stuff. This war depicted here sounds like the one from blue planet. Just wanna ask how is this one different?

EA really kicks ass.

Spoiler:
If you want to know how much just enter Icanus on search

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!

Inferno actually came out several years before Blue Planet originally, and features the Earth side as the aggressors and is less morally grey and story-focused, instead focusing on gameplay.

Offline QuakeIV

• test

I got the same vibe, but I can say its different mainly in that Inferno did it first, and also the Earth faction is vastly more formidable than the UEF in a lot of ways.  For one thing, they pushed out of Sol to begin with.  I'd also say there is a lot less emphasis on being the ultra-mega-super hulked out badass of a pilot that BP kindof wants you to be (at least at the 'Realism' difficulty, which is the only one that is fun for me since I want to have the same HP as the enemy fighters so that I have to actually maneuever a bit).