Author Topic: RELEASE: Inferno Nostos: Act 1  (Read 200466 times)

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
Re: RELEASE: Inferno Nostos: Act 1
Spiros is the commander of the EA Forward Fleet.
Falon is the commander of the Earth Fleet, and he's the generalissimo for all EA forces.
There is another admiral who is the commander of the Jovian Fleet.  The Transjovian Despotate will have a bigger role to play in R2 going forward.

R

Shouldn't they have different titles then?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Could just be a difference of seniority or 'stars'.

Offline 5thAce

The Transjovian Despotate will have a bigger role to play in R2 going forward.

Are the Soter and the Kryios Jovian designed ships?

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
The ships based on Jovian designs revealed in R1 are the Soter, Tyrannos, and the Kyrios (to an extent).  The Jovian military relies primarily on strikecraft and missiles.  The beam technology on their ships are assumed to have originated from collaboration with Earth and Martian R&D.  Unlike the GTVA, Earth, and Mars fleets, the Jovian capital ship composition is mostly specialized cruisers lead by one or two corvettes and backed up by light carriers, making them very mobile and very tactically flexible.  I will show off elements of the Jovian fleet to be present in R2 soon.

A common gripe I’ve read here has to do with the storyline having the EA invincible one moment and then defeated the next.  There is rhyme and reason to this, and more will be revealed in R2.  Let’s just say there is trouble back home.

R

Offline mr.WHO

Damn, this makes me want the INF:A even more for the Sol backstory.

Offline CT27

Spiros is the commander of the EA Forward Fleet.
Falon is the commander of the Earth Fleet, and he's the generalissimo for all EA forces.
There is another admiral who is the commander of the Jovian Fleet.  The Transjovian Despotate will have a bigger role to play in R2 going forward.

R

The Freespace wiki says the EA is a military government, so would that mean Falon defacto runs the EA politically too?

I heavily doubt that if a single person would be able to control a interplanetary government, such a person would spend time on the frontline. But I'd guess he's indeed very close to the government. However, as long as there's no Species.tbl, with that such questions could be awnsered, there's no way of knowing... ;)

Offline CT27

Another plot question:  It said it one of the 'tips' that come up when you start the campaign that many Terran citizens are against the war effort and thought diplomacy could have been used.

How?

Didn't the EA start the war by invading shortly after the Sol Gate was activated?  This should be a lot more black and white than say BP.  In BP I can understand why GTVA Terrans wouldn't be crazy about the war effort, but one would think Inferno Nostos GTVA Terrans would be more supportive of the war effort since the EA started open conflict.

I think it's some sort of appeasement policy (or atleast that sentiment in the population). INF has several references to WW2, and for a long time, the western powers also were in favor of diplomacy which always remained an option after the war broke out. Think about the argument between Churchill and the rest of his cabinet after the western campaign of 1940 whether they should negotiate or continue to fight.

I could imagine that most Terrans are scared about a Shivan invasion, and wanted to settle that dispute diplomatical instead of wasting assets.

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
The reason as to why the EA started the conflict has not yet been elucidated.  And it’s not because the EA wants more lebensraum.  More to be revealed in subsequent releases.

R

Will EAs reason for the war be revealed in R1-Part2 then?

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
We’re currently working on patching R1 and hopefully with it we can release a standalone story arc that explains the EA background story a bit more.  Definitely by the end of R2 the player will know the driving force for the EA’s invasion.

R

Standalone story arc? Some sort of fiction or other addontional stuff?

Offline CT27

I know they're probably dead by now, but how did the EA treat the Vasudans that were present in Sol (the Lucifer strike Thoth pilots, etc.)?

Played the campaign. So far, impressive.
Mission design, ships, so the execution is entirely perfect.
The EA is portrayed brilliantly.

The only negative points that came up in my mind are related to the GTVA:

1. Why are the GTVA (The Seleucus) seem to be arrogant in the last mission just like in the FS2 era (Second Shivan Incursion)?

The admiral of the Seleucus said something like, "It seems we managed hold the shivan offensive".
That felt kind of off, since Alpha 1 saw a "new" type of, the Kismat destroyer as well in the mission at which the Shivans suddenly reappear. That destroyer was forgotten.

Also last time, they sent around 90 Shivan Sath juggernauts eventually, not the mention the Lucifer in the Great War. In the original Inferno, at the last mission, reading the briefing text, the GTVA even seems to have learnt from the previous encounter, that they shouldn't be arrogant, shouldn't underestimate their old nemesis, and they even respond effectively. That is something I liked in the original Inferno.

2. Why are the Vasudans not helping the Terrans after all versus the EA? They did help them against the NTF, which was another Rogue Terran faction.
It feels like the GTVA is less of an Alliance.

Apologies in advance, if these facts have been not forgotten.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
1. Why are the GTVA (The Seleucus) seem to be arrogant in the last mission just like in the FS2 era (Second Shivan Incursion)?
Because some people are arrogant and it doesn't represent the entire GTVA. The Shivans will be taken quite seriously to even the point that the rush their new flagship to the front lines to stop them.

2. Why are the Vasudans not helping the Terrans after all versus the EA? They did help them against the NTF, which was another Rogue Terran faction.
It feels like the GTVA is less of an Alliance.
The EA aren't anti-Vasudan like the NTF were and the Vasudans warned the Terrans to expect that the Sol system might want to stay in solitude. Terrans actions and their assumptions that they could just have their home system back was what lead to the EA war in the first place so the Vasudans consider it an internal matter for the Terrans to sort out themselves.

The EA only fires on Vasudan ships that are helping the Terrans either by fire support or by transporting goods to them, which is why you don't see any Vasudan ships in R1. The Vasudans then focus on the Shivans for the most part and only really enter the war to speed things up so the Shivan threat can be dealt with as the Vasudans doubt they can keep the Shivans contained forever and would prefer the Terrans and EA on side to help.

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
I know they're probably dead by now, but how did the EA treat the Vasudans that were present in Sol (the Lucifer strike Thoth pilots, etc.)?

Although it is never stated in canon, it wouldn't surprise me that there were other Vasudans in Sol prior to the closure of the node.

Also last time, they sent around 90 Shivan Sath juggernauts eventually, not the mention the Lucifer in the Great War. In the original Inferno, at the last mission, reading the briefing text, the GTVA even seems to have learnt from the previous encounter, that they shouldn't be arrogant, shouldn't underestimate their old nemesis, and they even respond effectively. That is something I liked in the original Inferno.

The same thing happened in FS2 canon, where the GTVA developed beam weapons and had the Colossus; they underestimated the Shivans then, for never did they anticipate 90 Sathanas juggernauts.  As thus, many decades have passed since the last Shivan incursion.  A new generation of leadership has emerged, a generation that knew not Capella.

R

On the other hand atleast GTVA (don't know about EA) has no chance against 90 Saths, even though they developed things (like the Apothess) to deal more damage than before, so whenever something red shows up - even just a fighter - GTVA should/could be scared as hell...

Offline mr.WHO

Reading the tech descriptions for the ships not present in first chapter it seem that GTVA deeloped to deal with 80 Satanases (e.g. Long range beam Destroyers, Bombers that can take out Juggernauts).

However it seem rather naive on GTVA side to think that Shivans didn't expanded/upgraded on their side - that would be one of the main lessons from FS2 - GTVA should b more paranoid and cautious...more like Blue Planet GTVA.