Author Topic: RELEASE: Sol: A History Upgraded  (Read 109364 times)

Re: RELEASE: Sol: A History Upgraded
Thanks, will try the FS1 HUD. Looking forward to the next version! I have to say, I really like the mission scripting and storytelling. A shame there are no voice-overs. Some missions I really struggle with on medium, me not being the best pilot around. I currently try to beat the one where you defend the Justice against pirates in the asteroid belt. My best take on it so far was to have Justice at 40% when the Lossow arrives and 1% when the Rhom came in.

Edit: Ha! Failed at it a hundred times, posted about it, made it on the next run!  :lol:
Justice survived with 3%. Phew!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 12:22:15 pm by Knecht Ruprecht »

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Justice was served!
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

That mission "Scouring", where you defend the Formidable and have to destroy two cruisers' VLS? How is that supposed to work out? Tedious weaving in - shooting once, twice at a launcher - weaving out for like three hundred times? Or do I miss something there? My squadmates seem to be unable to do damage to the VLS (like, 0% damage over minutes) even when ordered  to attack the VLS subsystem or disarm the cruisers. I am already using that shotgun cannon, which seems to be the best choice for the task, but I always die because of concentrated AA fire.

Offline Admiral Nelson

The individual launchers are pretty weak, I just used the Aratrum and Peltasts to take them out.  Dive in, strafe an individual bank and speed out, rearming when needed.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline CT27

I don't have my campaigns on Knossos yet and didn't install Knossos for this one so I had to create a mod.ini for this one (I use wxlauncher).

Is this how it should look?  Or do I need to change a line or two (fyi I heard to use the 2018/3.8 MediaVPs on this one and I haven't downloaded the 4.0 MVPs yet)?

[launcher]
modname      = Sol: A History;
image255x112 = sah.bmp;
infotext     = Sol: A History- upgraded;

[multimod]
secondrylist = FreeSpacePortMVP,FreeSpacePort,MediaVPs_38X;

I used this:

[launcher]
modname      = Sol: A History;
image255x112 = SAH.bmp;
infotext     = Sol: A History- upgraded;

[multimod]
secondrylist = FreeSpacePortMVP,FreeSpacePort,MediaVP;

It certainly works on 3.8 so there should be no problem.

Offline CT27

I tried to play but got an error screen saying there was about 223 errors (and that they could be caused by corrupt models/tabels and I should ask the mod people for assistance).

I then did a debug build which I attached a log for.  Can anyone help me with this?

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]

Offline CT27

Warning: Dockpoint cargo dockpoint could not be found on model fighter01.pof
File: missionparse.cpp
Line: 1757

I also got this when trying to load mission 2 through the techroom.

Is it possible my 3.8 MVPs need to be updated?

You don't seem to have FSPort installed.

Offline CT27

I just checked and I do (v 3.5).  I in fact tested it out with another campaign that says it required FSPort and that one worked okay.

For some campaigns, I did notice there is a special version of FSPort for a particular MVPs set (for example "fsport-mediavps_2014").  Is there a special file like that or something for the 3.8 (released in 2018) MVPs?  Maybe that would make this campaign work.

Otherwise I may have to write off trying this campaign since I can't seem to get it to work.

Well I can see from your log that the game isn't loading any of the FSPort or FSPort MediaVPs .vps, so your mod.ini isn't configured properly for your folder names.

Can you double check the exact folder names for FSPort and FSPort MediaVPs and make sure they match what's in your mod.ini? If your folder name is "Freespace Port"(with a space) then -mod FreespacePort(without a space) won't work.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Code: [Select]
Searching root 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\FreeSpacePortMVP\' ... 0 files
Searching root 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\FreeSpacePort\' ... 0 files

While that only means there are no loose files in there, there are no VP files from the folders loaded either.

Offline CT27

Well I can see from your log that the game isn't loading any of the FSPort or FSPort MediaVPs .vps, so your mod.ini isn't configured properly for your folder names.

Can you double check the exact folder names for FSPort and FSPort MediaVPs and make sure they match what's in your mod.ini? If your folder name is "Freespace Port"(with a space) then -mod FreespacePort(without a space) won't work.

Thank you!  That worked!  I can play SAH Upgraded now.  :)
I followed your advice and made sure the mod.ini folder names matched the actual folder names in Games/Freespace2.  For example, I had to change Freespace Port to "fsport", etc.

Offline SL1

Having a problem with Enemies United. About a minute after the second cruiser jumps in and leaves, I keep getting "detected" even though I'm keeping the proper distance. Weirdly, only the Macavity seems to know I'm there. The fighters don't move to attack me.

I am stuck on  Enemies United.
 No matter what I do once the 2nd cruiser jumps in the pirates spot me and the mission fails.
I have to be missing something simple.

Offline MXV

Hello,

First off, i'd like to expres my appreciation for the upgrade!

Its definitely an improvement over the first take. Especially since all factions now have their own set of new ships and researched technology.
The story definitely improved now too.

I did however came across some issues regarding some of the models.

The mod is unable to load the most recent models of the Fenris and the Orion. But the Leviathan has that first upgraded model (The Fenris reskin in blue).
I've also had some instances that the model of the Posideon showed its most basic LOD. This looked quite weird next to the high-poly  Arcadia in mission 2
Also the Textures for the Majesty majesty seem to be missing except for a few. So it looks quite silly when you meet the ship for the first time.

I don't know if everyone is having the same issues or its because something is wrong with my files or settings. But i thought i'd shoot a message.

Offline Admiral Nelson

This version of SAH does use the older models, yes.  There is a WIP version I have that uses the newer ones, but it also requires all the new Inferno ships Nyctaeus has made.  As the Inferno upgrade which contains those new models is not yet released, I can't release that upgraded version at this time.  I'd say the older Fenris and Leviathan can be compared favorably to the older Inferno models.  Whenever the revised Inferno Nostos is releaed I will release the upgrade to the upgrade.

Saw something strange in SAH which I have never seen before...after the latest update to the mod I found some visual glitches I have never seen before...the draw distance on ship models are out of wack. The ships would "morph" into view as I closed distance on them. Not sure how else to describe what I saw. I have a debug which I hope helps out...

https://fsnebula.org/log/62151a950f8040ec1e784da6

Offline Admiral Nelson

FreeSpace 2 Open version: 21.3.0.20210813_47f84846e

Not sure what exactly that is, but you shouldn't play SAH with a nightly build.  I haven't updated it in quite a while now so it would not need one.

FreeSpace 2 Open version: 21.3.0.20210813_47f84846e

Not sure what exactly that is, but you shouldn't play SAH with a nightly build.  I haven't updated it in quite a while now so it would not need one.

I see... thanks for the advice