Author Topic: RELEASE: Sol: A History Upgraded  (Read 109361 times)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Re: RELEASE: Sol: A History Upgraded
Just finished the campaign last night.  I had never played it under it's original release, though I had thought about it many times over the years.  Excellent campaign, that I almost think could be Inferno cannon... if it weren't for INF:A of course.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

I wonder if INFA will get the remaster treatment?

The INF team worked on a sequel (INFA2) and a edited version of INFA in the past, but it is unclear if/when it happens as it has been on-hold for several years (over half a decade now); therefore I'm not sure if it'd make sense to remaster the old INFA at this point.

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
AFAIK those projects are all dead; the assets made for them are used here in SAHU so that the effort invested in them is not wasted.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

I've heard that some team members wanted to finish INFA but the rest of the team wanted to focus on Nostos:

Realistically we may eventually resurrect INF:Alliance and/or INF:Gateways, but right now our goal is to patch R1 and work on R2.

Also, not everything from INFA went into SAH-U, for example the Zelos superbomber and the HTL Zagreus weren't part of this release.

Offline Admiral Nelson

The Zagreus has been publicly available for years, so there was no question of waste if not used here.  I do see I was not aware of the Zelos; The ship of that name in your Ships DB is something that looks like an Apache gunship with no rotors and not a super bomber:

I'm not sure what became of this model, or if it was ever finished.  The cockpit looks empty in this screenshot (the only one I can find).
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 01:51:20 am by Admiral Nelson »
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

:warp:
Apparently I've lost the overview a bit regarding the Zagreus, I had it for so long that I forgot that it was the new version...

There were a couple other ships like a few old low-poly Vasudan ships that were handed to wardog300k (the "archives" ships) and then disappeared, as well as a superdestroyer named JCSD Europa (somehow similar to the Hades in plot concept) which also left only a screen behind. Everything else is (including the other Arcadia extensions) part of Nostos now.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Well, I'm a bit over halfway of this and it's really enjoyable to play. It mixes up the style of older FS mods with new assets and some novelties regarding mission design. And thanks to it I'm starting to get used to Hard/Insane :D
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

I'm not sure what became of this model, or if it was ever finished.  The cockpit looks empty in this screenshot (the only one I can find).
Apparently it was: https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=36740.msg893754#msg893754

This article contains some links too: https://www.moddb.com/games/infasa/news/implementation-of-subspace-missiles

Offline Admiral Nelson

That thread shows a "redesigned Apollyon" model I haven't seen as well.  I asked about the Europa superdreadnought, but was given to understand it was only ever a very low poly placeholder ship.

Offline Mito [PL]

Alright, I've finished this one and it's very, very solid. Blaise's S:AH has risen from the ashes and started knocking down HLP's gates.
I've definitely enjoyed it and I'm really grateful for the remake! :D

On the other side, this is the first time I've ever been dealt so much damage and killed so many times by collisions with random fighters. It also occurs to me a bit that friendly forces seem to have fightercraft a bit inferior to their enemies, while it's the other way around with capital ships. Or maybe it's because of the difficulty setting I chose, whatever.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Admiral Nelson

I have pushed out a small patch which corrects some minor bugs, but more importantly removes the Knossos dependency on the fsport media vps, which in turn enables it to work with the latest mediavps.  Note that the Leviathan is deliberately locked to the earlier model for now as it meshes better with some of the custom ships in S:AH.

Offline 5thAce

Really excited to play this, but my fps has been tanking at some points during battle. Also every time i restart a mission (through death or manual restart) my idle fps (when there is no action going on) seems to drop, like it will be 120 fps, then 100 fps, then 70 etc, each restart

My specs are:
Windows 10 64 bit
EVGA GTX 1070 TI
I7 4790k
16GB DDR3

using knossos and 3.8.1.20181129_097eb92 build

Anything I can do to improve my fps?

Offline Admiral Nelson

I'd suggest asking that in the scp subsection -- I doubt a mod / campaign could produce such behavior on its own.

Offline theperfectdrugsk

• thinks there should be a dedicated 'en-dash' key
Really excited to play this, but my fps has been tanking at some points during battle. Also every time i restart a mission (through death or manual restart) my idle fps (when there is no action going on) seems to drop, like it will be 120 fps, then 100 fps, then 70 etc, each restart

My specs are:
Windows 10 64 bit
EVGA GTX 1070 TI
I7 4790k
16GB DDR3

using knossos and 3.8.1.20181129_097eb92 build

Anything I can do to improve my fps?

This probably pretty obvious...but you might want to check in nvidia control panel whether it's trying to use integrated or dedicated graphics.  Every once in a while a new nightly switches on me and I have to go back and change it myself.

Offline Mito [PL]

It's a PC, 1070ti and 4790k are full-blown PC size energy hogs that would never ever run in a laptop. Its video output is locked to and only to the graphics adapter to which the monitor is connected on system startup. Besides, his issues show after restarting the mission a couple times, not the game. And I can't even imagine an integrated GPU capable of running FSO in full detail in 60FPS in a respectable resolution :P.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Intel iGPUs have started to suck a little less (I could run Crysis on medium 1080p IIRC?) and I believe it's now possible for even desktop PCs to use one GPU to render while outputting to another to save power. 

Not sure if that's happening or not, but I believe it's possible.  You could try submitting a log file?  Might help.  Do it in the other thread though.

Offline CT27

Error: sah-mod.tbm(line 16):
Error: Missing required token: [#END]. Found [#Ignored Mission File Names] instead.

File: parselo.cpp
Line: 290

I got this error when trying to start this.  Any suggestions?

Offline CT27

Also, if I do the manual download option and therefore I have to make my own mod.ini, what should the mod.ini in the campaign folder look like?

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
Are you using a nightly?  #Ignored Mission File Names isn't in 3.8.0.
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull: