Author Topic: Reviews and Feedback thread Episode 1 & 2  (Read 70368 times)

Re: Reviews and Feedback thread Episode 1 & 2
Absolutely amazing!! Very much enjoyed the use of anti capital ship weapons which make you feel like you're directly involved with the capital ship combat. I actually really liked the Nordera, as it's not everyday humanity encounters a technologically inferior species in sci-fi stories. Is there any physical description of the Nordera available? I hope the WoD universe continually expands with future installments (whenever they are done).

Human looking with razor teeth if the old WoD descriptions are still canon.

Absolutely amazing!! Very much enjoyed the use of anti capital ship weapons which make you feel like you're directly involved with the capital ship combat. I actually really liked the Nordera, as it's not everyday humanity encounters a technologically inferior species in sci-fi stories. Is there any physical description of the Nordera available? I hope the WoD universe continually expands with future installments (whenever they are done).

Human looking with razor teeth if the old WoD descriptions are still canon.

That can't be right. They look like spiders with 4 legs and faces like hyenas. I swear I saw a picture once.
Shivans view most other species the way we view infectious diseases. They think they are doing good by curing the universe of them. After all, no one mourns the fate of smallpox.

The Final War For The Multiverse

Just finished playing through the new version and I must say, that I haven't had this much fun with FS since I played through Blue Planet and JAD for the first time.
Can't wait for the continuation, but take your time making it so that it will be just as great as parts I&II.

I hope that the CRF will play a bigger role, they always cracked me up when they appeared on screen, and that the references will not cease.

I don't really know what to write as feedback (could be because I only just created this account for this post). The game crashed once during the penultimate mission after destroying a torpedo storage and I couldn't change my fighter during the battle simulation when I picked the Templar during initial selection. Otherwise nothing out of the ordinary occured to me.
I also couldn't quite figure out how to move lateral and vertical, don't know if I missed something or if I am just blind.

All in all 9.7/Beam Spam

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Now that I've cleared what's available, some feedback:

--WEAPONS--
Primaries need more range, there was way too much knife fighting. Suggest minimum range of 1000-1100.
Close range knife fighting is a pretty deliberate game design choice, though. I personally like being able to see the thing you shoot at.
Even with that being said, all of the kinetic primaries weapons (shotguns aside) have ranges well over 1000 already. Increasing the weapon ranges wouldn't change all that much anyway, the A.I. would still close in to attack. There's a bunch of hardcoded values in the engine about distances that the A.I. will act on.

Worst Ship IMO: Haze-H: I dont understand what this ship is suppoed to do. Capital Interceptor? 1 Heavy HP makes it not as effective, especially in Breakthrough.
The Kaze-H can clear breakthrough incredibly easy and quickly. It has both speed and firepower. It can get to the pods after the very initial beam fire and break two pods before they can close again.

Overall I had fun with this and cant wait for more.
  :yes:

Glad to hear.  :yes:
There's actually not an physical description of the Nordera available at the moment. It's something I still plan to getting around to someday.

Just finished playing through the new version and I must say, that I haven't had this much fun with FS since I played through Blue Planet and JAD for the first time.
Can't wait for the continuation, but take your time making it so that it will be just as great as parts I&II.

I hope that the CRF will play a bigger role, they always cracked me up when they appeared on screen, and that the references will not cease.

I don't really know what to write as feedback (could be because I only just created this account for this post). The game crashed once during the penultimate mission after destroying a torpedo storage and I couldn't change my fighter during the battle simulation when I picked the Templar during initial selection. Otherwise nothing out of the ordinary occured to me.
I also couldn't quite figure out how to move lateral and vertical, don't know if I missed something or if I am just blind.

All in all 9.7/Beam Spam
Awesome, great to hear.
It's always feels a extra bit special when someone takes the time to make an account to leave a nice review like this

Not all that many ships have lateral and vertical movement. The only ships I can think of from the top of my head are the Ray MkIIIE, the Vulture and the Kaze MkII
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 09:54:26 pm by Spoon »
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Awesome, great to hear.
It's always feels a extra bit special when someone takes the time to make an account to leave a nice review like this

Not all that many ships have lateral and vertical movement. The only ships I can think of from the top of my head are the Ray MkIIIE, the Vulture and the Kaze MkII

I used the Vulture during the two defence missions. I really like the design of the ship and the upgraded 30mm autocannon for more dakka.
But can you explain to me how to use the strafing mechanic?

Will there be abuse of Dawn's powers for hilarious purposes in later chapters?
E.g. Milkshake gets to be big for once, enlargement of other things ^^, actually a good version of the Templar, Beam Spam, etc.
I think that she would be capable of doing stuff like that (considering the things she did on a galactic scale) and she seems the type to be talked into things like that for fun, as long as it is revisable and safe.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 10:31:33 am by Haemi_exe »

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I used the Vulture during the two defence missions. I really like the design of the ship and the upgraded 30mm autocannon for more dakka.
But can you explain to me how to use the strafing mechanic?
With the default WoD controlscheme, it simply means that you can strafe left and right with A and D and you can strafe up and down with X and Z

Will there be abuse of Dawn's powers for hilarious purposes in later chapters?
E.g. Milkshake gets to be big for once, enlargement of other things ^^, actually a good version of the Templar, Beam Spam, etc.
I think that she would be capable of doing stuff like that (considering the things she did on a galactic scale) and she seems the type to be talked into things like that for fun, as long as it is revisable and safe.
Yes  :drevil:
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
Big Milkshake. Don't know if either I or Misuzu can handle such a concept.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Any chance we could have a Gauntlet in the Database with all ships and weapons available, just for us to have fun while we wait for the next release?

Any chance we could have a Gauntlet in the Database with all ships and weapons available, just for us to have fun while we wait for the next release?

Such a thing should be easy to create in FRED.

Shivans view most other species the way we view infectious diseases. They think they are doing good by curing the universe of them. After all, no one mourns the fate of smallpox.

The Final War For The Multiverse

Big Milkshake. Don't know if either I or Misuzu can handle such a concept.

Misuzu will be in Big trouble then. :lol:

Such a thing should be easy to create in FRED.

You can make one yourself easily. :D

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Sure, I'll see if I can cook something up in the next few days.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Oh Spoony...............

Here I am all married  and now Dawn comes back to try and tempt me into the living hell of betraying my vows...............

-points for no changing cutscene during M1 brief.

+points for new animated bouncy dawn.

Anything else is superb but does not match above plus points.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Tell your wife I'm sorry.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
The Tech Room might have spoilers if you Ctrl-S. Namely ships that don't appear in the campaign.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Well there are quite many campaigns that have that. You can even play the old version for more spoilers, though I don't know how much of that got changed of course.

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
I'm not sure I completely understand the boost mechanics or strategy of the time attack race. After 5 attempts, my best time was over 2:56, well short of the 2:45 needed to win. I can't clearly see how to shave off 12 seconds. Perhaps it's just a matter of understanding the physics model?
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
What is your framerate like during the race? It might be possible that if you're having a low framerate, the boost isn't applied correctly, which results in a lot of lost speed.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
As I've finished nuWoD now I thought I'd drop off a review.

Let me start with - this is grade A fun, great job Spoon, Axem & the rest of the team, I really enjoyed this!  :nod: :yes:

I really like the flight model (drift, slide, lateral thrust occasionally) and the variety of weapons & ships. I tend towards liking lighter ships (well hello Kaze-H!) but still got good mileage out of trying many others in the varied missions that required a different approach. I also want to play through again trying out yet more of the ships, and maybe try some different crafting options. I also quite liked the story & am keen to see where it heads next.  Dawn as a goddess was a bit surprising, it was obvious that there was something unusual about her but that level of power was quite a bit higher than expected :) Still, Alpha 1 and boss fights so I guess there's precedence ;)  Speaking of boss fights the penultimate mission was awesome :) I found it a bit tricky to find the weak points at first, but heaps of fun regardless, I didn't feel frustrated even taking quite a few attempts to complete it.

I have a couple of very minor gripes, on paper at least I like the UGC Vulture (10 gunpoints wheeeeee) however I couldn't use it to complete in the two missions where it's available. It's too easy for goons to shoot you from the side/rear while you're trying to circle strafe your main target. e.g. bombardiers or hunters with their turrets :hopping: I was hoping to find a mission that'd better showcase its talents (which given the UGC priorities, might just be saving money... oh well... ALL HAIL PROFIT! :D)  I also found the (original) 1st combat simulation quite challenging, due to a weak video card & poor framerates I found it too hard to dogfight enemies & accrue killpoints, and then when I did manage to get enough my Caliburn's seemed to die horribly & ineffectively, leading me to (inadvisedly) switch to crazy tactics like going straight for enemy carrier, hopping under the shields and trying to take out its PD weaponry. Anyway, super minor gripe since after I got a new video card (of course, it arrived the day after I completed the campaign!!!) I replayed the new version of the mission, found it MUCH easier & completed it easily & conventionally on the 1st attempt.

Anyway, apart from that I really enjoyed this. The music was fantastic, the VN segments were gorgeous and entertaining, the pacing was good, I felt you'd get a good dose of action breaking up the story & keeping it all interesting, and overall well polished. Really looking forward to when you have time to complete the rest of it.

THANK YOU!
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
What is your framerate like during the race? It might be possible that if you're having a low framerate, the boost isn't applied correctly, which results in a lot of lost speed.
Trending toward 30, with some dips as low as 20. I might try tweaking my settings, but my machine is rather ancient.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
*Good words*
Thanks

Really looking forward to when you have time to complete the rest of it.
Time is not the issue, motivation/willpower however...
Urutorahappī!!