Author Topic: Reviews and Feedback thread Episode 1 & 2  (Read 70366 times)

Re: Reviews and Feedback thread Episode 1 & 2
Good to hear you've been having fun.  :yes:
I'll have to look into that bug...
If she doesn't show up, you should probably (hopefully) still be able to finish the mission. Her appearing in the mission or not will have no further consequences in the campaign.

Alright, cool thanks!

Just finished WoD, so I guess it's time for a review.

Spoon.
My dude.
And Axem. And literally everyone else who helped make this happen.
You guys nailed it.

The lighthearted atmosphere was fun. The combat mechanics were awesome. VN sequences were polished and entertaining. The Templar is the best fighter wait what.
Anyways, yes. Excellent stuff. The only thing I would change (and from what I read here in the forum, I'm not the only one who shares this opinion) is to make the simulator missions optional. I really can't think of anything else. It's that good. And I trust you've got some direction already for the next episode, which I cannot wait to play!

The crafting system was also super creative. The VX-02X and VX-23FS were awesome on the Kaze, which was my go-to fighter (I much prefer lighter, more nimble gliding gameplay over heavier assault craft).

So yeah. 10/10 from me.
Also, I played with the 18+ patch. It uh...really filled out the VN sequences...

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Sweet, great to hear

The Templar is the best fighter wait what.
Milkshake disapproves -10
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Has anybody recorded some footage of the CSA vs LSF cutscene yet? I'd like to see it but wasn't able to find it on YT.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
You mean this one?

(you'll have to forgive the darkness, I normally set brightness within FSO to 1.15; but it looks like OBS ignores that setting and I have low video editing/mixing skills to correct that "in post")
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 06:56:13 pm by niffiwan »
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Ahhh, such a beautiful thing, thank you for uploading this! :) I wanted to watch it on my own PC but with 32 bit builts... I had to swap ship classes only to be able to skip it without crash...

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Right. I forgot to post after finishing my playthrough. I ended up using default FreeSpace controls because my fossilized brain couldn't remember the throttle controls for the new setup so I ended up not being able to use slide much, but still managed to do fine. Made the Vulture a bit more tricky to fly, the one time I tried it but it still worked. Amusingly I ended up just using the bogstandard FreeSpace 1/2 meta of a rapid-fire primary and loading nothing but the light dumbfires for secondaries. Basically, Droid803 the caveman-brained moron deliberately played WoD like it was FS2, made it work through sheer stubborness, purposefully ignoring all of the new and cool stuff, then wondered why WoD played almost exactly like FS2 except with abusable shielded capships. Yes. I am not  an intelligent robot.
I also found the CRF Templar to be a decent craft. The characters complain that it's bad for a Gen 4, but you never get to compare it with it's supposed contemporaries so it's actually not awful to actually fly, fat target profile aside.
I especially liked what you did with the Contravention. Will what it does be shown in other instances with the other UGC ships? :P
Also, I'm slightly miffed I didn't get to keep my new friend at the end. Why did everyone have to shoot it? I was going to tame it and ride it gloriously into battle...

Overall, it's gr8. I r8 8/8! It's the first time I've been hooked playing FreeSpace and being excited to fire up the next mission and see how the story is going to progress and whatnot in ages. It also happens to be my first time actually playing FreeSpace in a non-development capacity in ages, go figure.

You've heard all my gripes already, and there's nothing new so I'll leave em off here. *cough* SOC loop the simulators please *cough*
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 11:52:47 pm by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Also, I'm slightly miffed I didn't get to keep my new friend at the end. Why did everyone have to shoot it? I was going to tame it and ride it gloriously into battle...
You need to be at least 8 feet tall to ride!
Urutorahappī!!

I just learned this had been released last weekend, and didn’t get around to finishing it until just now. Damn, that was some enjoyable Freespace.

Gameplay was different enough from Freespace that I had fun. I liked the differences in how enemy fighters tended to fight, but I had some issues with the game’s difficulty curve. Easy mode was too easy, and Normal was too hard. My play style boils down to “crash into enemies while spamming the fire button until they are dead” and that didn’t work so well in Normal. Still, I got through the game just fine on Easy, and boosting my shields one notch was enough to save my hide in most cases.

Weapon-wise, I had no complaints. Secondaries could have been more useful early on, but once I got the HLP, they did pretty much what I wanted them to. There really wasn’t a good reason for me to take anything but the HLP and dumbfire rockets (either variety) in any given mission once I got those. I found that the kinetic weapons lacked any real use for my play style, given I get so close to my targets. Energy weapons did eventually beat through shields, and half the enemies didn’t even have them.

Next, the story.
Spoiler:
I had no real complaints about the story. I’m not the biggest anime person (the amount of anime I have watched is basically none), but I enjoyed this one. Some of the people on the Angel were a little one-note, but I didn’t dislike any of them, and I feel like if there was more time, they would have been more fleshed out.

The twist that Dawn essentially read the last version of the mod’s script and then ret-conned it herself was cute. Feels like one of those clever writer’s moments.

Yeah, I had no complaints, and the campaign was fun while it lasted! Bravo to everyone involved!
This is my only contribution to FSSCP

These mods are made from natural code that we pump in from retail. If you tried to run one, it would be like standing outside with nostalgia and pure awesome shining on your face. It would also set your computer on fire, so don't actually do it.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Thanks for the post, glad to hear you liked it and had fun!  :yes:

Some of the people on the Angel were a little one-note, but I didn’t dislike any of them, and I feel like if there was more time, they would have been more fleshed out.
Yeah, there's only so much character development that can be done in a single episode, without turning the VN parts into hours long reading.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 07:16:33 pm by Spoon »
Urutorahappī!!

turning the VN parts into hours long reading.

Please never do this...  :eek2:

Shivans view most other species the way we view infectious diseases. They think they are doing good by curing the universe of them. After all, no one mourns the fate of smallpox.

The Final War For The Multiverse

This is a quick line to say thanks for such a great game. 6DOF games on hard difficulties are my favorite, and this one was just wonderful! I love the kinetic vs energy weapon system that allows quick tactical decisions on who to hit and with what. I love the charming graphics and banter. I love the controls and the gliding and the quick AI and the.... GREAT STUFF!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
This is a quick line to say thanks for such a great game. 6DOF games on hard difficulties are my favorite, and this one was just wonderful! I love the kinetic vs energy weapon system that allows quick tactical decisions on who to hit and with what. I love the charming graphics and banter. I love the controls and the gliding and the quick AI and the.... GREAT STUFF!
Always appreciated when people leave a message like this  :yes:
Urutorahappī!!

Thank you for all the effort you put into this, it has been one heck of a ride and a gem of a game. The revamp adds a lot of depth and fleshes out the original a lot more. Unfortunately, I am progressing slowly in the story due to real life concerns, so I will report in more detail after I have finished the whole story.

Right now I am trying to fight a certain girl in the same way I fought a certain grandpa in another game and found out the hard way that space and atmospheric combat are two different things. A little question here: I know the dialogue does, but do missions content branch out based on what you did in the previous missions? I have a nagging feeling that a certain daredevil action I performed in the previous mission may have inadvertently changed/increased the difficulty of the next.

EDIT: Encountered a bug.
Spoiler:
aforementioned girl flees beyond the aft half of her ship, chasing her leads to Dawn escaping instead.
Dawn
<<Come back here! You coward!>>
Spoiler:
We really need the ability to have multiple save slots/explore multiple parallel universes. On one hand I want to capture the aforementioned girl just to see what happens, on the other I want to RKTL her to hell for all the trouble she gave me.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 11:22:31 am by Autohummer »

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ

There is no real mission branching, there is one optional mission that you can opt to skip (Helping out the Ostfront), so you're never going to miss out on missions completely. But there are definitely certain decisions that carry consequences later down the line. Ophelia's status being one of them.

What you encountered is not necessarily a bug, just kind of really unlucky on your end! Going back through the cave entrance leads to Dawn retreating from the fight, but in all our testing, we've never ever witnessed Ophelia running away through that hole specifically. So we never accounted for that happening.
Urutorahappī!!

I keep reading people talking about the new control system, and wondering what they were talking about when I realized that I encountered a bug that disabled it for the entire campaign. So, I played everything with standard FS2 controls. It never crashed though.

I notice that no one mentioned recognizing that anime music, at least one track pulled from one of my favorites: Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere

Story presentation was pretty good for the most part, with a little heavy on the info dumps in one or two spots, but I didn't care too much. The character interactions were good enough to pull everything along. The one character intro that I thought was a little jarring was "suddenly ninja", but I shrugged it off as something it had to have to be more anime.
There were a few standout scenes, though. I thought the choke-to-death scene was very well done, as an example.

Very nice scripted missions. I liked flying around in the Mass Effect Citadel to bribe guards with stew.

Very fun new weapons, though a few standouts basically reduced others to never being used. (Type 74 and the shotgun weapons seem very powerful, in particular)

One of those mods that just begs for voice acting, though it would have to be done right, and possibly with the option to mute it. I could see this sort of project being the thing that waits to be done until the last episode releases, and it's time for a special edition, or something.

A couple of the later missions tended to wildly bounce back and forth between too easy and too hard. The strike mission against the bloodhounds, for instance, was very easy for a mission that far into the campaign.

I've been thinking of games that this reminds me of, and I came up with the answer. It feels kinda like Freespace 2 (gameplay) mixed with Sunrider (story/presentation).

Not gonna like, WOD put Horizon's OST on my radar in a big way. It was so well used.