Author Topic: HBO's Chernobyl  (Read 1148 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
That was a pretty good show.

It wasn't The Wire or Mad Men or even True Detective, but it was real good. I did think it suffered a little from TV Dialogue; a lot of the exchanges seemed to come from the 'what about the reinforcements? we are the reinforcements' school of nonspecificity, and the protagonist turning to the camera to deliver the show's moral at the end really put a button on that feeling. (Mad Men is a show I'd offer as a comparison that almost never fell into a dialogue rut; the exchanges were natural, but surprising.)

So, maybe a little too much Screenwriting, and the show smoothed over some interesting complexities from the real history — I read Midnight in Chernobyl during the show's run and it's full of extra depth, like Dyatlov as more than an obstructionist lump, Legasov's multiple suicide attempts, or Brukhanov literally building Pripyat out of nothing — but very good.

It's also fun to imagine as season 2 of The Terror.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

My meme-fu is too weak (esp. @work), but I still think it's worth some follow-up :)

"The reactor has not exploded. Change my mind."
"The other operators all caught a bad bug while applying too much suntan lotion. Change my mind."
"HBO/Sky's Chernobyl : not terrible, not great. Change my mind."
"A major nuclear disaster cannot happen in the Soviet Union. Change my mind (also send us a better robot)."

Now that that's out of the way, I've just finished watching the series & listening to the podcasts, and I've gotta say it's a great series. It knows what to (over-)dramatize and what to cut, the cast is rock-solid, the sets and scenes are breath-taking, and I think the first and last episodes are especially well crafted. I like how lengthy they made the epilogue, spending a not so insignificant amount of run time depicting the actual people involved and their fate, and additional details regarding the incident.

Also, by sheer coincidence I watched a very detailed 2006 documentary on the disaster about 6 months ago, completely unaware that this series was coming and did some follow up research back then and again now after watching all 5 episodes. While that spoiled the events a bit since it was still fairly fresh on my mind (and was one of the reason I post-poned watching the thing), it did highlight the extensive research the show makers have done.

tldr; Great series, would warmly recommend it.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
My wife and I watched this, and really enjoyed it.  I knew the story of Chernobyl reasonably well beforehand from a macro-perspective, but watching an (admittedly dramatized) version of the events unfold actually made me angry and appalled at what the USSR did.

At first the choice of opening for the series puzzled me, but in retrospect and with the neat wrap-out in the final episode, it was brilliant.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
A couple of more technical videos explaining what happened (and different theories as to what happened when it's not certain):

What /Actually/ Happened at Chernobyl by vlogbrothers, 13 mins:

Why Chernobyl Exploded - The Real Physics Behind The Reactor by Scott Manley, 21 mins:

I enjoyed both.

A couple of more technical videos explaining what happened (and different theories as to what happened when it's not certain):

[...]

I enjoyed both.

I second that.