Author Topic: FSO is launching... stuck  (Read 2186 times)

FSO is launching... stuck
Hello- absolutely loved the original Descent and was lucky enough to play Freespace 1 and 2 when the first came out. So excited to see a really large community still doing big things with the universe- thank you all.

Unfortunately I've been having an issue in Knossos 0.13.3- whenever I attempt to launch FS1 Port, Retail FS2, Silent Threat Reborn, Blue Planet or any other program Knossos states that FSO is launching but nothing comes of it.

I also was not able to get my Thrustmaster 16000.m and throttle to work (which I bought specifically for this game) but perhaps that's a whole other issue.

At this point I'd just like to get FS and the mods to get going- got any advice?

Thanks in advance.                                         

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: FSO is launching... stuck
Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.

It makes the FSO is Launching error, but when I try to upload the log I get this.. sorry but I can't find the fs2_open.log file

I have also checked FS2/data folder in Knossos directory and no dice.

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]

FYI- The launcher was working at one point, after pulling this error for awhile. I dont know what I did to make it work.

At first I was playing FS1 in with pretty bad graphics but then the media upgrades must've kicked in and I had a nice day of it yesterday. I tried to make some scripts with TARGET for the joystick and throttle to work but that didnt happen. Unplugged the usbs for the joysticks and selected no joystick in Knossos as well.

Still stuck.  :confused:

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Maybe try using different FSO builds? You might need to change your preferred FSO stability in Knossos settings, though. I suggest setting it to RCs and using 19.0.0-RC1.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Well you got me playing again at least, thank you! All I did was change the RC build. Booted up first time, quickly.

Some weird graphical issues- Avenger cannon now shoots phlegm green/yellow bolts as opposed to bright yellow and some other low rez textures here and there- however, I can at least heap some damage on the shivans again.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
You could check if you've enabled all the proper graphical options (through FSO Settings), your options might not have been applied to the new build you've downloaded.
Also look into whether all the FSPort, MediaVPs and fsport-mediavps packages are enabled via the Modify option.
And maybe you've got some strange lighting settings applied?

Eventually you could post a screenshot of the graphical issues you see. Also you could use the Lab (F3 in main menu) to view all models and weapon effects, it'd make taking a screenshot of the problem easier. You might have to need to select a background before loading models/effects, though.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Better late than never....

Geologist target locked........

:welcomered:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Sorry for the late reply...
The "FSO is launching..." issue (where it's just stuck on that step) can usually be fixed by going to Knossos' settings, selecting any option in the joystick selector (even the "No joystick" option works) and saving. Something weird happens while parsing FSO's config. Saving the configuration there overwrites it which fixes the issue. Haven't had time to investigate further so the issue still exists.

Regarding the Thrustmaster issue: IIRC that device appears as several controllers in Windows which is an issue because FSO can only use one joystick at a time. You can use something like vJoy though to combine them into one virtual joystick and use that with FSO. There are other people on the forum which use that HOTAS or similar devices so I'm pretty sure you'll get help if you start asking around.