Author Topic: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Final Trailer Released  (Read 22894 times)

Offline Luis Dias

Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Final Trailer Released
Solo is actually better than the halo that surrounds it. And way better than its own cinematography, jfc, if it had a tenth of Rogue One's, it would actually be a really good movie.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
I skipped Solo because I heard Darth Maul was in it.  Keep prequel **** in the prequels, I don't know how I can say that more strongly than by not buying anything.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I skipped Solo because I heard Darth Maul was in it.  Keep prequel **** in the prequels, I don't know how I can say that more strongly than by not buying anything.

It's a pretty low bar and while I generally agree with you... Darth Maul was easily the best part about the prequels.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I mean they also gave us Episode 1 Racer, and that game kicked ass.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.

I'm not exactly a fan of the prequels but I prefer the occasional references to an Orwellian retcon. Besides, Maul's story arc from Clone Wars to Rebels was good.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Turambar

I want a full on, Ancient Egyptian destroy-all-murals-depicting-the-prequels, total replacement of the prequels, and anything that derives from them.  I think continuing the Star Wars story forward when the base of the story is in such shambles is irresponsible.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 10:09:38 pm by Turambar »
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats

I want a full on, Ancient Egyptian destroy-all-murals-depicting-the-prequels, total full on replacement of the prequels, and anything that derives from them.  I think continuing the Star Wars story forward when the base of the story is in such shambles is irresponsible.

After Disney will provided you with a replacement you'll deeply miss them. :p

Offline Turambar

I'm willing to take that risk.  So far, Disney Star Wars has had a failing here and there, but nothing even remotely on the scale of the prequels' total bed ****ting.

Offline Aesaar

I will still maintain that, apart from Solo (a movie so deeply uninteresting to me that I haven't seen it yet), the Disney SW movies so far have been uniformly better than the George Lucas films. Rogue One is an unexpectedly brilliant addition to the canon, it's the "adult" Star Wars film that I never knew I wanted. TFA is something of a franchise reboot, a re-statement of the core themes of the original Star Wars before it all got muddled through layers of EU and prequel weirdness, TLJ is a deconstruction of a few lingering pieces of unexamined tropes in SW (the "chosen one" thing, the "lineage" bull**** that ran throughout the EU, the "bold hero is always right" stuff)...

I really didn't hate TLJ, but I'd have a hard time disagreeing more with the idea that TFA is interesting.  Even Revenge of the Sith was a more interesting movie than TFA, IMO.

Solo was better than TFA too.

TFA felt like bad fanfiction.  Which is pretty much what I should have expected from JJ Abrams.

It's a pretty low bar and while I generally agree with you... Darth Maul was easily the best part about the prequels.

Excuse me, the best part of the prequels is that they spawned Auralnauts Star Wars.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 09:45:09 am by Aesaar »

I want a full on, Ancient Egyptian destroy-all-murals-depicting-the-prequels, total replacement of the prequels, and anything that derives from them.  I think continuing the Star Wars story forward when the base of the story is in such shambles is irresponsible.

I don't know.  I think there's enough good ideas and material in the prequel trilogy that it wouldn't require such a dramatic, scorched-earth retcon.

There's a good story in there about the fall of a democratic society, the hubris of the Jedi leadership, and the danger of pouring your hopes into an individual "hero".  That just got buried in excessive (and bad) padding, poor casting choices (Hayden Christensen's performance was flatter than a plank of wood), and George Lucas' obsession with CGI (why are all the actors in a big, green box all the time?).

That's why there's good content that's spun out from the prequel material.  Clone Wars and Rebels built upon the political and character drama, without being weighed down by a lot of the baggage specific to the prequel films.  Luke Skywalker's entire emotional character arc in TLJ is borne out of his fuller understanding of Jedi history (and how it parallels his own) than what he had learned throughout the original trilogy.

The prequels could definately do with a remake that refocuses the narrative and maybe trims the whole affair down to eliminate the need for padding.  Burning it down and leaving nothing but a smoldering hole behind would be a mistake, though.

Kind of like the extended universe in some ways:  Keep the bits with merit; drop the nonsense.  No need to torture those crystals.

Offline Turambar

I don't know.  I think there's enough good ideas and material in the prequel trilogy that it wouldn't require such a dramatic, scorched-earth retcon.

There's a good story in there about the fall of a democratic society, the hubris of the Jedi leadership, and the danger of pouring your hopes into an individual "hero". 

Kind of like the extended universe in some ways:  Keep the bits with merit; drop the nonsense.  No need to torture those crystals.

I emphatically disagree.  Especially since the movies are the touchstone for all of the books and other media.  When you watch them, you imagine the movies to set them in the same universe.  Turning the Jedi into a big stupid lazy church is only the start of the failures of imagination in the prequels.  Don't get me wrong, the theme of a democratic society ruining itself into a dictatorship is certainly relevant, but the Star Wars treatment of it didn't give anyone the conceptual tools to do anything about it.

I actually really dislike Clone Wars, just because of how it seems to have rehabilitated the prequels in the eyes of some star wars fans, making it harder to do what needs doing.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 12:03:11 pm by Turambar »

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
It's telling how damaging the prequels were that people feel the need for them to be excised from canon. As nice as that would be, it will never happen. They're an integral part of the Star Wars Bible in a way the EU wasn't - because they were up there on the big screen. More importantly, they still bring in money through games, toys etc.

The best that could be done would be to reboot the franchise and we all know there's no way of that happening unless it becomes financially beneficial to do so. Perhaps maybe they might be rebooted 20 years from now, maybe. It would have to be a very hard reboot too, with significant deviations from the original prequels.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Turning the Jedi into a big stupid lazy church is only the start of the failures of imagination in the prequels.  Don't get me wrong, the theme of a democratic society ruining itself into a dictatorship is certainly relevant, but the Star Wars treatment of it didn't give anyone the conceptual tools to do anything about it.

I disagree. The Jedi being a "big stupid lazy church" I think meshes well with the overarching plot of the fall of a decadent Republic that had rotted from stagnation and corruption, able to be overthrown--not from an external threat, but from within. It fits well with Anakin's frustration with the Jedi and the appeal of a New Order, built clean and fresh from the ground up, swept clear of the old ways.

Not only that but what we do see of the inner workings of the Order--their abduction and brainwashing of Force-sensitive youth, closing them off from emotion--expertly set up not only Anakin's downfall, due to his inability to let go of his attachments... but his redemption as well. Luke was able to redeem Anakin through familial and emotional connections, which would have been *impossible* for any of the old Jedi.

I detest TPM, and the entire prequel trilogy suffers from awful writing and direction, but the ideas and worldbuilding are rock solid. The responsibility falls squarely on Lucas' shoulders for both. He would have been much better served with an editorial staff to push back against, as he did with the OT, instead of a team of yes-men (talented as they are.)

The sequels are refreshing because it flipped the coin. Excellent direction, acting, and tactility; at a cost of worldbuilding, logical progression, character development, and thematic coherence (and as of TLJ, basic filmmaking). We appreciate having what Lucas got wrong, but now we miss what Lucas got right... what we took for granted.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Aesaar

That the novelization of Revenge of the Sith is actually quite good proves that there was plenty of potential in the story the prequels wanted to tell if only they'd gotten better writing and direction.  The flaws were almost entirely in George Lucas's execution.

Offline Luis Dias

I agree with Galemp :yes:

That the novelization of Revenge of the Sith is actually quite good proves that there was plenty of potential in the story the prequels wanted to tell if only they'd gotten better writing and direction.  The flaws were almost entirely in George Lucas's execution.

I've actually really wanted to read that story. Thank's for reminding me.

Offline Lorric

So, Force Awakens was well received by all. Rotten Tomatoes, 93% critic score, 86% fan score.

The critics were still on board with Last Jedi, 91%, but it bombed with fans, 41%.

Now, Rise of Skywalker has 223 critic reviews and has bombed with them at 58%. What will the fans say?

It's definitely bombing *cough* with the TRUE FANS.

(eg my star wars nerd friends who have seen it. Your definition of "true fan" may differ :P )

(seriuosly though "41 percent" isn't really "bombing with the fans" on a yes/no website, it just the fanbase is divided and defining anything as "the fans" as if people who bothered to signup to rotten tomatoes represent this unified front is a stupid generalization and you ought to know better!)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 09:34:01 am by -Joshua- »

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
From what I've heard/read, this movie is hot garbage fanfic funded by Disney and Rey is confirmed as the Mary Sue of Mary Sues. I'm ready to read the sprawling HLP debate on the film when you've all seen it. I'm gonna pass, though.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Lorric

It's definitely bombing *cough* with the TRUE FANS.

(eg my star wars nerd friends who have seen it. Your definition of "true fan" may differ :P )

(seriuosly though "41 percent" isn't really "bombing with the fans" on a yes/no website, it just the fanbase is divided and defining anything as "the fans" as if people who bothered to signup to rotten tomatoes represent this unified front is a stupid generalization and you ought to know better!)
Audience then.

Ah, Hard Light. I forgot about how everyone nitpicks everything to death around here. It's tiresome.