Author Topic: Red subspace tunnel  (Read 8594 times)

If I want to make a mission in subspace but I want the tunnel to be red instead of blue, how do I do that? Has someone released a mod to do that already or would I need to create a new one?

Shivans view most other species the way we view infectious diseases. They think they are doing good by curing the universe of them. After all, no one mourns the fate of smallpox.

The Final War For The Multiverse

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It would be a relatively simple job with a video editor that could import an image sequence. I could whip it up for you in a few hours if you'd like.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

You can extract the texture from the MVPs. Shifting blue to red can be done with IrfanView (or your image editor of trust).

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I was going to take a look at the subspace tunnel effect in the near future too, in order to make one matching the  green "knossos"-hue ... I might as well have do a red one while I am at ....

If you don't hear from me in regards to this until the end of the month, drop me a message
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 06:44:52 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline 0rph3u5

First pass

As for the how to:

The "Takes place inside subspace"-flag makes the engine use two models for the skybox (SubSpace_Big.pof and SubSpace_Small.pof) which are basically cigar-shaped and rotate - one clockwise, one counterclockwise.

Their maps for "skyboxes" are Noise01.dds and Noise01b.dds.

Both the models and the maps can be found in mv_effects.vp or sparky_fs2.vp (the maps in retail VP are 256x256 as opposed to the 1024x1024 in the MVPs).

Note that any change to the maps carries globally (it can't be set mission to mission because of unique two skyboxes thing).

Note also, as the maps use black as transparent colour.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

It looks kinda rosé rather than red.

Offline 0rph3u5

That's because the colour progression doesn't translate 1 to 1 from blue to red - I'll have to adjust that but if I can have feedback on where is supposed to land I can do better

==================

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Actually, weren't there higher quality warp skyboxes anywhere? I think some were used in WoD and Solaris? If we're at recoloring them we could use the nicer ones, and by the way maybe asking MjnMixael to throw them (only blue one) into MVPS too.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

There were animated subspace textures, but no HTL model I know of. I doubt you'd notice any difference between the current and a 10k model anyway.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Yeah, I meant these. Basically anything that can be an improvement over the current subspace tunnel effects.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Thanks for doing so much, I didn't expect it.
Shivans view most other species the way we view infectious diseases. They think they are doing good by curing the universe of them. After all, no one mourns the fate of smallpox.

Offline 0rph3u5

So, I ran into a barrier on how much I can do with the existing maps, more specifically with their resolution....

... and on the reverse side, I just discovered how sneakly sophisticated the effect actually is - its the cigar shape of the tunnel. As a result I will have do a lot more reverse engineering before I can make a new map from scratch.

How fast do you need this?

==================

Feel free to take your time.

Note that any change to the maps carries globally (it can't be set mission to mission because of unique two skyboxes thing).

You can have Skyboxes with rotating parts and complex geometry (like in Solaris), I don't think there's much of a difference compared to normal skyboxes.

Offline 0rph3u5

You can have Skyboxes with rotating parts and complex geometry (like in Solaris), I don't think there's much of a difference compared to normal skyboxes.

How about thrusters? - the big glowing points at each end of the cigar are actually the trusters of the model :P

I will give it a go to slap them together into a single model along the way then.

==================

How about thrusters? - the big glowing points at each end of the cigar are actually the trusters of the model :P

they're ugly, make something different (ie use the warp models too)

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]

Offline 0rph3u5

That looks ... Interesting

I don't think that works as I always thought of those lights as less the end of the transit but as part of the represetation of how subspace doesn't conform to the rules of normal space, e.g. the transit moving while the ships within are technically "at rest"

==================

Offline 0rph3u5

Is this still current? - Because I am about to move on from my struggles with original effect and just re-colour the animated suspace tunnel that's featured in the recent BtA-release...

==================

Offline 0rph3u5

Gesagt, getan:

==================