Author Topic: [WIP] Rekt Galaxies  (Read 18191 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: [IDEA] Fractured Suns, a FreeSpace 2 campaign / Mortal Engines Space Combat Game
Agreed.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: [IDEA] Fractured Suns, a FreeSpace 2 campaign / Mortal Engines Space Combat Game
Why not set in the same universe as the 2018 Mortal Engines movie, but set thousands of years after its events? Mortal Engines takes place 1000 years after the present time, and this mod takes place 10,000 years after the film.

Okay, Bryan, I am going to try and explain this to you in very simple terms.

The reason why this is a bad and terrible idea is because you are trying to deceive people. You say "This game takes place in the Mortal Engines universe!" in the hope that people who liked that universe are going to be interested in checking out your work.

But what happens if they do? They see that you lied to them. Because, by setting it "10000 years in the future", it is no longer the Mortal Engines universe. There is nothing that connects what you actually did with what you claimed to have done.

So now, not only do you have a bad and terrible game (because, Bryan, you do not have the skills to make a good game yet), you have also pissed off the people who would, presumably, be the most interested in what you had to say.

Do you wish to have a reputation as a liar, Bryan? Do you want to be seen as someone who makes promises with no intention of ever keeping them? Because this is how you get that reputation.

As with Portal and Portal 2, why not relegate any Mortal Engines-related references into a tech room database?

What's the point of doing that? When Valve decided to connect Portal and HL2, that was a neat little easter egg, something they could do at that point because, unlike you, Valve had a large and hungry fanbase that they could please that way without much effort on Valve's part. Portal, as a game, had to stand on its own merits first and foremost, and it did. In other words: The Portal games were successes largely on their own merits. They were not advertised as "A new game series in the Half-Life universe".

You, on the other hand, are putting the Mortal Engines connection front and center. You are coming right out and say "This game connects to Mortal Engines". This goes back to the point I made above: If you do that, you will disappoint people because they will think you lied to them. If that's what you want to do, fine, go on and lie as much as you want.

But do not expect to be welcome here or anywhere else if you do.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

If the references to ME are only in the techroom... Then what's the point?  You're basically handicapping yourself in terms of the in-game universe you could create.

It seems that Bryan is simply more interested in creating low-quality fanfics (actually unrelated to the source material) rather than anything original stuff, whether it's good or bad.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I fully support this project and can't wait to see what's cookin.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress

Tut.gif
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline theperfectdrugsk

• thinks there should be a dedicated 'en-dash' key
Where's that Michael Jackson popcorn gif when you need it...

You ever hear the definition of insanity?

I do have a definition:

Vaas: Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is? Insanity is doing the exact... same ****ing thing... over and over again expecting... **** to change... That. Is. Crazy. The first time somebody told me that, I dunno, I thought they were bull****ting me, so, I shot him. The thing is... He was right. And then I started seeing, everywhere I looked, everywhere I looked all these ****ing pricks, everywhere I looked, doing the exact same ****ing thing... over and over and over and over again thinking 'this time is gonna be different' no, no, no please... This time is gonna be different, I'm sorry, I don't like... The way...

[Punches crate aside violently. His agitation towards the player character is visibly growing]

... you are looking at me... Okay, Do you have a ****ing problem in your head, do you think I am bull****ting you, do you think I am lying? **** you! Okay? **** you!... It's okay, man. I'm gonna chill, hermano. I'm gonna chill... The thing is... Alright, the thing is I killed you once already... and it's not like I am ****ing crazy. It's okay... It's like water under the bridge. Did I ever tell you the definition... of insanity?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2321297/characters/nm3103126

:P
Requiescat in pace

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter

Battuta, I agree with you 100% :)

And to those who mention "insanity", there is no insanity. I've started something small. The one, which is called Lost in the Mist revolves around Kappa. It is well within FS2 territory and without any custom-created assets and voice acting. From there I will progress from there.

This project will eventually bridge the gap towards Shattered Stars.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    • Twitter
I have some idea about an atmospheric mission, which may be part of that campaign. The player is to engage enemy fighters within the atmosphere. I hear that you created atmospheric missions before.

And since Fractured Suns takes place within the same universe as the Mortal Engines film, somewhere towards the end, there is a crossover, spoiler alert.

Spoiler:
There will be a segment where you are required to shoot down the airship, the Jenny Haniver, crewed by Tom and Hester following the stopping of the Traction City of London at the end of the film.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Are you going to model that airship yourself?

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Are you going to model that airship yourself?
Yes.

EDIT: I've got the reference pictures from Twitter. It is in the attachment.

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I c, good luck with that.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
It's set 10 bajillion years after the film isn't it?  How can you engage the airship 😑
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
It's set 10 bajillion years after the film isn't it?  How can you engage the airship 😑
It is not set billions of years after that, actually. It is set within the timeframe of a month. Maybe days before the film takes place and overlaps its events. Maybe that far future setting is actually a ruse to tease the actual, true setting within the movie universe.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

So you want to make this reality? It seemed like was just another "idea" you had.

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
So you want to make this reality? It seemed like was just another "idea" you had.
Oh, yes. Little bit by little bit. And plus, it was partly inspired by the Battle of Exegol in the final Star Wars film. Star Wars is one of the biggest influences on the Mortal Engines movie, whose universe is being used as a setting for this.

The first WIP screenshot of an aerial battle mission is in the attachments. In it, the Ancients are preparing to attack and destroy the airship during the battle. Players must destroy the airship in order to progress.

And some spoilers.

Spoiler:
The mission opens with the last lines from the film, spoken by Tom Natsworthy and Hester Shaw onboard the deceased comrade Anna Fang's airship, the Jenny Haniver, which is not shown. These two die during the ensuing battle.

Technical wise, all ships in this mission are affected by gravity. This "affected by gravity" flag is something that requires a physics engine. I prefer the now-open sourced PhysX to work with desired results. In the meantime, I continue work.

And this is the 15th mission.

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Interesting. One thing though: Fractured Suns sounds very similar to Shattered Stars, so you could have a more original name for your new project as people who don't follow your modding career closely might think that they are one and the same. "Rekt Galaxies" would be an awesome and fitting title. :)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 01:57:57 pm by Nightmare »

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Interesting. One thing though: Fractured Suns sounds very similar to Shattered Stars, so you could have a more original name for your new project as people who don't follow your modding career closely might think that they are one and the same. "Rekt Galaxies" would be an awesome and fitting title. :)
I changed the title. And I intend it to be a series of episodic campaigns released on a far shorter frequency. That mission is the concluding one for Episode 1. Episode 2 will presumably takes place after that. I think the Knossos launcher should be updated to handle episodic campaign releases.

The setting remains with that 15th mission. As such, it still takes place within the same universe as Mortal Engines (the 2018 film itself, not the novels themselves of which it's based).

I am sure General Battuta will approve it since he supported this project in the first place. And I hope others will follow suit.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

nice :yes:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
This is advanced modding.