Author Topic: The Return of Su-tehp  (Read 14889 times)

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Also on that node map, why is siriua closer to SOL than alpha centauri 🙄

FS nodemaps have always been like that.

Indeed, the original FS1 and FS2 nodemaps are sometimes like that, especially when FS2 starting using the 3D version of the map in some of its cutscenes, where you see the angle change and the stars change perspective relative to each other. It's just that Sirius looks closer to Sol than Alpha Centauri from that particular angle.

And Volition didn't care about extremely nuanced stuff like real-life starmap accuracy when they made the Freespace games either. They had more important things to worry about, like making an awesome space sim. :p :lol: :nod: ;7
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
That frozen in time bit is classic andeomeda 👍

Also on that node map, why is siriua closer to SOL than alpha centauri 🙄

Because maps.
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>
  /  \ All the Single Ladies

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Personally I'd like to see some campaign that meshes FS FTL jumps with direct system-to-system jumps like in ST or SW, but I doubt it'd ever be done, leave alone in a likeable quality.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Omfg it's one of the old guard, come back to haunt us!  :eek:

Welcome back, Su-Tehp. I'm still here. Doing more parenting, architecture, and D&D than FreeSpace these days, but still here.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Welcome back to HLP, Su-Tehp. We've never met, but I've seen your name appear sporadically in The Classics and have read some great things.

...that, and because your name is easily confused with Steak.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
That was Setekh but close.

Just that Setekh doesn't even say "Happy BDay HLP" anymore.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Omfg it's one of the old guard, come back to haunt us!  :eek:

Welcome back, Su-Tehp. I'm still here. Doing more parenting, architecture, and D&D than FreeSpace these days, but still here.

My word, is that Galactic Emperor? How you been, man? And what are you doing with D&D? Pathfinder is where it's at, man.  :p ;) :D :cool: (I just wish I could play more Pathfinder Society with my buddies; I had to miss out on a great session today because work needed me to come in on Sundays. :banghead: :nono: :hopping: :mad2: :mad: )

Welcome back to HLP, Su-Tehp. We've never met, but I've seen your name appear sporadically in The Classics and have read some great things.

Great things about me? I suspect HLP was performing that propaganda just to make themselves look good by association. :lol: ;7

...that, and because your name is easily confused with Steak.

Mmmmm, steak.... Too bad I gave up red meat (too much cholesterol). :doubt: Still, pork chops with the fat sliced off makes a decent substitute. I've been losing weight and I'm only a few pounds away from my target weight so I can't complain (much). :nod:

Just that Setekh doesn't even say "Happy BDay HLP" anymore.

I didn't know that "Happy BDay HLP" was even a thing. Man, I've really been away for a looooong time....

Now I wanna finish "Devil and the Deep Blue," but Writer's Block (to say nothing of the logistics of building an entire FS campaign from scratch) is hindering me. :o :sigh: :(

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."

Probably you should cut the story you want to tell into small acts that each tell their own (part of the) story. I think nobody's doing campaigns the scale DatB had from scratch these days (atleast, not in a way that they particular sting out in a brilliant way). You can also easier get feedback/motivation/suggestion that way. Of course you still need a modpack but there's so much stuff out there now that you can basically assemble what you want.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
My word, is that Galactic Emperor? How you been, man? And what are you doing with D&D? Pathfinder is where it's at, man.  :p ;) :D :cool: (I just wish I could play more Pathfinder Society with my buddies; I had to miss out on a great session today because work needed me to come in on Sundays. :banghead: :nono: :hopping: :mad2: :mad: )

Yes, it's still me! A lot has changed over the years but I'm still here. You remember last time we met, I was in architecture school? Well I just got my license to practice! :D

I always wanted to DM but 3rd Edition/Pathfinder scares the bejeezus out of me. 4e was much more digestible, ran a group for several years from levels 1-24, and I'm starting my first session running for a new group this Friday in 5e.

Always some projects in the works, eh? I have a goal to finish Vasudan Imperium this year. We'll see how it goes!
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Online Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Remember me from ganespy days?

Mightve been as LOA--JK47 back then.  I used to wind Aldo up all the time apparently and pester dark for modelling tips.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Yes, it's still me! A lot has changed over the years but I'm still here. You remember last time we met, I was in architecture school? Well I just got my license to practice! :D

I always wanted to DM but 3rd Edition/Pathfinder scares the bejeezus out of me. 4e was much more digestible, ran a group for several years from levels 1-24, and I'm starting my first session running for a new group this Friday in 5e.

Always some projects in the works, eh? I have a goal to finish Vasudan Imperium this year. We'll see how it goes!

Yeah, I have to admit, before Pathfinder, I had only ever played RPGs from White Wolf/Onyx Path using the Storyteller system and the occasional game of D6 Star Wars, so I was completely unfamiliar with the d20 system. Still, it wasn't too bad to get into Pathfinder's 1e system, though I'm procrastinating about understanding Pathfinder 2e. I'm told that 2e is much more streamlined, but I have alot of time investing in my 1e characters and don't want to give them up and start 2e characters from scratch just yet.

I still have to get most of the FS2 mods working, my vid card is having issues with some of them. I just finished playing the FS1 Port and enjoyed it immensely. I started Ancient-Shivan War and like it alot, but I just wish Act 3 had been finished. I guess I'll just have to live with the cliffhanger.

The Order of the Stick

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Ever since encountering more free-form systems like FATE or Dungeon World or Dusk City Outlaws, D&D and its derivatives have lost their appeal to me. They're fun in the narrow space between levels 5 and 12, where characters are resilient and competent, but not yet so complicated and overloaded with special rules that take an age and a half to resolve in your average combat turn.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue

Ever since encountering more free-form systems like FATE or Dungeon World or Dusk City Outlaws, D&D and its derivatives have lost their appeal to me. They're fun in the narrow space between levels 5 and 12, where characters are resilient and competent, but not yet so complicated and overloaded with special rules that take an age and a half to resolve in your average combat turn.

There is that, I suppose. When Jim, my usual Pathfinder GM, runs high level games (12+), he always asks us to at least prep what each character is going to do when it's our turn in initiative. "Lisa, you're up; Christian, you're on deck. Preroll your dice if you have to." I can't complain about it, since it helps move things along. Jim tends to run modules that award whole levels after each game, rather than the shorter and simpler adventures, so it makes sense for him to want to streamline things so we don't have to meet more than once to get a session done.

The Order of the Stick

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Remember me from gamespy days?

Mightve been as LOA--JK47 back then.  I used to wind Aldo up all the time apparently and pester dark for modelling tips.

Gawds, I can barely remember Gamespy, I think that was all the way back in 2002, when I was at law school. 18 years is a long time. I wish I could remember Aldo and Dark.

Probably you should cut the story you want to tell into small acts that each tell their own (part of the) story. I think nobody's doing campaigns the scale DatB had from scratch these days (atleast, not in a way that they particular sting out in a brilliant way). You can also easier get feedback/motivation/suggestion that way. Of course you still need a modpack but there's so much stuff out there now that you can basically assemble what you want.

My FREDing skills are nonexistent, so I think I'd just delegate any actual modding to volunteers who knew what they were doing. Even before that, though, I'd have to write an outline of a script for the entire campaign. After replaying FS2 over the past couple of days, I want to do the same thing FS2 did: in each act (or mini-act as the case might be)  of the story, the player will be transferred from different squadrons, each with their own specific role (space superiority, intercept, bombing, heavy assault, etc.). So I'm going to have to think up some new insignias and squadron names, which could be really fun if I use Real Life U.S. Navy and Air Force squadrons for inspirations (or even Shout Outs). Of course, that means I'll need to find someone who can make squadron animations (at the very least).

I guess I better get cracking writing that story, huh? I mentioned The Lost Fleet earlier as inspiration for DatDB. The GTVA expeditionary force won't be "trapped behind enemy lines" per se, but being that far from Terran-Vasudan space and having to stay one step ahead of the Shivans just to stay alive (especially when the Shivans have mostly outmaneuvered the Terrans and Vasudans with only 2 exceptions: destroying the Lucifer and sealing off Capella), the difference is academic. At least this gives me an excuse to reread the Lost Fleet books. :D :cool: :nod:
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 02:08:25 am by Su-tehp »

The Order of the Stick

My FREDing skills are nonexistent, so I think I'd just delegate any actual modding to volunteers who knew what they were doing. Even before that, though, I'd have to write an outline of a script for the entire campaign.

I'm afraid that's not going to work. The number of people actively FREDing isn't as big as it used to be, and most of them work on their own projects. Assembling a modpack isn't that difficult, and learning to use FRED isn't either. There have been 2 people (Strygon and Colt) that came to HLP and released good/very good stuff not long after. TBH, just saying "I do the writing, the rest has to be done by others" is probably not drawing people in; and it'll leave your campaign depending on voluntary work of others.

If your campaign is set 20 years after Capella you don't have to change much - use FS2 as base, remove all Great War era ships, add some ships/weapons and that's it.

I never got around to designing Shivan Grid 1...

Not true! :p

Here're 2 things I once reclaimed from the Webarchive.

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
My FREDing skills are nonexistent, so I think I'd just delegate any actual modding to volunteers who knew what they were doing. Even before that, though, I'd have to write an outline of a script for the entire campaign.

I'm afraid that's not going to work. The number of people actively FREDing isn't as big as it used to be, and most of them work on their own projects. Assembling a modpack isn't that difficult, and learning to use FRED isn't either. There have been 2 people (Strygon and Colt) that came to HLP and released good/very good stuff not long after. TBH, just saying "I do the writing, the rest has to be done by others" is probably not drawing people in; and it'll leave your campaign depending on voluntary work of others.

If your campaign is set 20 years after Capella you don't have to change much - use FS2 as base, remove all Great War era ships, add some ships/weapons and that's it.

Judging from some of the pics of new ships I've seen since I got back, replacing the Great War stuff with the new stuff would be ideal, assuming I can pull it off. I have no idea how to create new animations or stuff like that; the mods that managed to make those and especially mods that managed to get voice acting done are truly impressive.

I never got around to designing Shivan Grid 1...

Not true! :p

Here're 2 things I once reclaimed from the Webarchive.

Holy crap! I really forgot about all this. Jesus, I don't even have a copy of Adobe Photoshop and didn't want to buy one. Now I think I might have to, if only to take a look at these squadron logos (even if half of them are from the original FS2). I don't know any other way to look at pcx. files, especially not any way to look at them without paying for a new program I don't really need (that much)....

EDIT: Just found a Microsoft Store special on Free File Viewers, so looks like I am getting it for free after all. I love serendipity!

Now that I think about it, that map of Shivan space is perhaps too small....

I totally forgot about that squadron list I made. Now I don't have to re-brainstorm a bunch of squadron names!

By the by, I just started re-reading the original Lost Fleet series for DatDB inspiration, although I have to get back to the sequel series (Lost Fleet: Frontier) because in that one, Geary has to deal with making first contact with three separate alien species, and only one of them is friendly. Looks like I'll be taking notes while I read both Lost Fleet series this time around. ;) :cool: :D
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 07:15:52 pm by Su-tehp »

The Order of the Stick

Well here's the squadron list from the ReadMe of the logos:
This is a comprehensive list of all known squadrons mentioned in FS2, either in the main campaign through voice messages or animations, squads created for user campaigns, or squads created for use in PXO/SquadWar.

Most of these squads were either in the original FS2 campaign or were created by Sheepy and myself (Su-tehp) for use in the “Devil and the Deep Blue” campaign. A couple of these squads were created for user-made FS2 campaigns or flew in PXO/SquadWar; these have been noted where known.

Notes for logos: Vasudan squadrons and NTF squadrons did NOT have names in FS2; they were only referred to by number. Terran GTVA squads had both names and corresponding numbers. This list was made not only to give you a comprehensive list of all known squads, but also to help distinguish the squad logos also contained in this zipfile.

Terran squads (and their pcx file names and their squad function, if known):
1st Avenging Angels (1stavengingagels.pcx) (Elite Multi-role Squadron)
2nd Shattered Stars (2ndshatteredstars.pcx) (Bombing Squadron) (Flew in PXO/SquadWar, logo used with
permission)
13th Reapers (No pic available yet) (Heavy Assault Squadron)
17th Hellcats (17thhellcats.pcx) (Interceptor Squadron)
18th Grizzlies (Heavy Assault Squadron)
19th (No pic available yet) (Destroyed trying to protect 3rd Fleet HQ)
23rd Flying Panthers (No pic available yet) (Space Superiority)
25th Hands of God (25thhandsofgod.pcx) (Bombing Squadron)
26th White Tigers (26thwhitetigers.pcx) (Space Superiority)
28th Black Sheep (sheepsquad.pcx) (Reconnaissance Squadron)
33rd Jokers (No pic available yet) (Interceptor Squadron)
39th Scarlet Fangs (No pic available yet)
43rd Da-Bomb Squad (DaBombInsig.pcx) (Bombing Squadron)
47th CutThroats (No pic available yet)
49th Falcons (No pic available yet)
53rd Hammerheads (hammer1.pcx) (Space Superiority Squadron)
58th Wild Cards (No pic available yet) (Multi-role Squadron)
61st Bulldogs (61stbulldogs.pcx) (Bombing Squadron)
64th Raptors (raptors.pcx) (Bomber Squadron)
66th Black Knights (No pic available yet)
67th Desperados (desquad.pcx)
70th Blue Lions (lion1.pcx) (Elite Multi-role Squadron)
73rd Crazy Ivans (No pic available yet)
76th Yankees (No pic available yet)
77th Deadly Sevens (77th.pcx)
79th Predators (No pic available yet)
81st Screaming Weasels (No pic available yet)
83rd White Pumas (No pic available yet)
85th Guiding Stars (No pic available yet)
87th Space Cowboys (No pic available yet)
91st Evil Eyes (91stevileyes.pcx) (Reconnaissance Squadron)
92nd Lonestars (92Lonestars.pcx) (created for user campaign, was it Derelict?)
99th Skulls (jollyroger.pcx)AND(skullsquada.pcx)  (Special Ops Squadron)
101st Aces (No pic available yet) (flew in PXO/SquadWar, logo is being redesigned for DatDB campaign)
103rd Flaming Skulls (103flamingskulls.pcx) (Space Superiority Squadron)
105th Gunslingers (105thgunslingers.pcx)
107th Ravens (ravens.pcx) (Heavy Assault Squadron)
108th Wraiths (No pic available yet) (Reconnaissance Squadron)
109th Black Panthers (109thblackpanthers.pcx)
110th Stalking Moons (No pic available yet)
116th Golden Eagles (116thgolderneagles.pcx)
134th Barracudas (barracudas.pcx) (Combat Evaluation Unit)
180th Mad Bombers (180thmadbombers.pcx)(Bomber Squadron)
204th Rattlers (204thrattlers.pcx)
212th Silver Scythes (212thsilverscythes.pcx)(Heavy Assault Squadron, created for Derelict, original logo
used)
223rd (not yet named) (No pic available yet)
242nd Suicide Kings (242suicide.pcx)(Interceptor Squadron)
301st Tsunamis (No pic available yet) (Space Superiority Squadron)
309th (No pic available yet) (Helps protect the Vega Node in original FS2 campaign)
332nd Black Mantas (No pic available yet) (Reconnaissance Squadron) (created for user campaign, was it
Derelict?)
636th Wolfpack (636thwolfpack.pcx)
666th Devil’s Disciples (No pic available yet) (Special Ops Squadron)

Vasudan squads, either created by players or mentioned in FS2:
92nd (Vasudan Squadron, created by Sheepy, I think)
228th (228th.pcx) (Vasudan Squadron, created by Sheepy; I made it a Vasudan Multi-Role Squadron for
DatDB)
33rd (Vasudan Squadron, mentioned in mission chatter in original FS2 campaign)
125th (Vasudan Squadron) (No pic available yet)
161st (Vasudan Squadron) (No pic available yet)
203rd (vasudan1.pcx) (Vasudan Squadron, player flew in this multi-role squad in original FS2 campaign as
an exchange pilot)

Known NTF squads:
185th (NTF squad that Alpha 1 and Snipes flew undercover in) (one of the scorpion-tail logos from original campaign)

Judging from some of the pics of new ships I've seen since I got back, replacing the Great War stuff with the new stuff would be ideal, assuming I can pull it off. I have no idea how to create new animations or stuff like that; the mods that managed to make those and especially mods that managed to get voice acting done are truly impressive.

Self-promotion (outdated by a year or 2, but still the biggest collection, and easier than to DL everyting yourself):
Ships: https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=94364.0
Effects: https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=94951.0