Author Topic: Coronavirus Outbreak  (Read 134656 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
We have the death counts. The number of people who are dead. But all you can do is pick at media accounts; all your energy and your communications bandwidth is bent to one purpose. And it's not giving a **** about the dead. It's protecting a politician from criticism.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 06:11:07 pm by General Battuta »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Until you can say, without reservation, that something has gone terribly wrong with the American response to this disease, then you do not care about the truth. You do not care about the dead.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Imagine arguing that "the dead are not being buried in mass graves, they are merely overflowing the morgues and stacking up in refrigerator trucks" is an important distinction to make. Rather than the fact that there are corpses overflowing the morgues.

e: if it is in any way unclear, we have had 700 deaths a day for the past 7 days. That's more than triple the daily deaths US troops suffered on Iwo Jima. There are far more people in NYC than on Iwo Jima, but for an individual and their family, dead is dead.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 07:50:45 pm by General Battuta »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
As another illustrative comparison, NYC's death rate over the past week is slightly less than triple the daily casualties London experienced during September 1940, the first month of the Blitz.

London at that time had a population comparable to NYC today.

Given the choice between a London under daily German bombing attack and New York in this pandemic, you would be safer by far in London. You'd be more likely to lose your home, I'm sure, but less likely to die.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

A bunch of churches in my area decided that they were going to do their regular Easter service today.  This was a permitted exception in Governor Bill Lee's stay-at-home order.  We'll see if those decisions lead to the infection rate climbing higher over the next week or two.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
A bunch of churches in my area decided that they were going to do their regular Easter service today.  This was a permitted exception in Governor Bill Lee's stay-at-home order.  We'll see if those decisions lead to the infection rate climbing higher over the next week or two.

That stain on the human species Salvini tried to have it as an exception here too, considering there have been cases of contagion due to imbeciles that decided to have their prayer community reunions when the lockdown orders were already issued I'd say there are good probabilities of that happening.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
And that is the sort of thing that as a Christian, people like Goober could be helping with. Convincing these people that God will listen to them just as well at home. That it isn't worth leaving your house and risking the health of the entire community because of a desire to do something you can do at home.

But instead, he's here arguing that Trump did nothing wrong.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
What matters to me is the truth.  In order to be objective, one must possess accurate information.
. . .
Nobody has the full picture, and the parts of the picture we do have are contradictory, incomplete, and often fraudulent.  So it comes down to who you trust.

I'm curious why you thought this line of argument would work any better for you than it did for jr2.

Well, actually, no I'm not, because I know you're just here to introduce more noise to defend your guy because to admit any failure is an unacceptable display of weakness because you continue to adhere to a toxic hyperpartisan ideology.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

That stain on the human species Salvini tried to have it as an exception here too, considering there have been cases of contagion due to imbeciles that decided to have their prayer community reunions when the lockdown orders were already issued I'd say there are good probabilities of that happening.

I thought Sally wasn't part of the government anymore?

Trump has retweeted a call to fire Fauci.

Trump's stupidity knows no bounds. Firing Fauci would be political suicide... right?

Offline Luis Dias

Goober manages to convince me that the US is completely doomed for blind ignorance and misplaced loyalty towards the worst aspects of mankind and its representatives by a big part of the whole demographic.

I do wonder though, how much of this fiasco of throwing support towards the biggest mismanagement in history, given the will to fire the least incompetent people still in charge of the situation like Fauci, is just a kind of a psychological fallout from the utter failure of the world having come to an end just a few years back. So I think I have to give Goober some sympathetic degree of leeway.

Look whatever's going on in this thread it's still not as bad as the UK's "I'm sorry that you feel that way" statements wrt there not being enough PPE.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Trump's stupidity knows no bounds. Firing Fauci would be political suicide... right?

Trump has kicked the chair away so many times now that I honestly don't know what he could do to persuade his faithful to turn on him.

Trump has kicked the chair away so many times now that I honestly don't know what he could do to persuade his faithful to turn on him.

Change his stance to pro-choice.

Institute universal healthcare.

Argue for separation of church and state.

Pass stricter environmental regulations.

Tax the rich at a much higher rate.

If he did any of those, they'd drop him like a bad habit.

Of course he never would do any of those things.

Shivans view most other species the way we view infectious diseases. They think they are doing good by curing the universe of them. After all, no one mourns the fate of smallpox.

The Final War For The Multiverse

Some more updates on testing in the US, which is still happening at a disastrously low rate in many places. The nation "best prepared for an epidemic" is uniquely incapable of actually tracking where the epidemic is in their country.

Personally I would like to highlight:
In the U.S., testing data isn't being collated by a government agency.

That's not a good look.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.

I thought Sally wasn't part of the government anymore?

He's still one of the Italian politicians most present on social media together with Meloni, Conte called them both out on it naming names and everything because they are actively spreading bull**** that might damage the lockdown.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Meanwhile in the UK (which also was absolutely moronic when it came to preparations for the virus) they are running out of body bags.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
This is obviously no big deal. The corpses are hardly infectious, so what's the need for body bags? It's not like dead people are going to get anyone else sick. In fact, it's actually good that they are dead, since they cannot spread the virus any more. This will save lives in the long run. More fake news.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Infections seem to be peaking worldwide, thanks to the brave efforts of everyone who has died rather than spreading the disease. The biased Democrat media wants you to think dying is bad—WRONG! Keep it up!