Author Topic: Must play Freespace mods/campaigns  (Read 1358 times)

Must play Freespace mods/campaigns
Not sure if this is the correct place but I am wondering what are the must play mods/campaigns for Freespace. Just recently finished Freespace 2 again and Ancient-Shivan War act 1 and 2.
I think I might try Blue Planet next.
Any suggestions would be wonderful.

Re: Must play Freespace mods/campaigns
What people consider "must-play" will, of course, be subjective, but Battuta's guide pinned right here in this subforum is precisely the sort of broad level overview of the most commonly recommended campaigns that you're looking for, although its getting a bit out of date.

What people consider "must-play" will, of course, be subjective, but Battuta's guide pinned right here in this subforum is precisely the sort of broad level overview of the most commonly recommended campaigns that you're looking for, although its getting a bit out of date.
Oh, I didn't even realize there was a guide. Sorry about that. I'll check that right now.

Not sure if this is the correct place but I am wondering what are the must play mods/campaigns for Freespace. Just recently finished Freespace 2 again and Ancient-Shivan War act 1 and 2.
I think I might try Blue Planet next.
Any suggestions would be wonderful.

My essential TM list:
FS1 & 2 + Demo with all the new shinies.
Silent Threat Reborn. The essential remaster of what was a promising expansion.
Blue Planet 1 & 2, this includes FS2 Blue. Probably better than a proposed FS3 if you ask me.
Vassago's Dirge. The KING of "untold battles of the Second Shivan War." Absolutely brilliant.
Derelict. One of the most polished campaigns ever released.

There are any number of other incredible FS2 campaigns made with love. But the ones above I replay EVERY time I replay the FS series. And to some extent consider them head-canon.

INF Nostos and Scroll of Atankharzim (the Vasudan campaign).

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Between the Ashes, absolutely.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
I'm hoping that Exile will join this list once a certain editor (*cough*) manages to find enough time away from work to finish editing the Exile table files so that all the techroom entries no longer look like they were written by someone who had English as a second language.

Seriously, this coronavirus has me busier than ever at the supermarket. It's totally nuts, but then people will always need food, kitchen supplies and toilet paper. (Why dafuq have people been hoarding toilet paper of all things during this crisis? Wiping your ass won't make the coronavirus go away!) :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :nono: :confused:
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
[...] to finish editing the Exile table files so that all the techroom entries no longer look like they were written by someone who had English as a second language.
Yet, that's exactly the case. It's called Polgrish.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
[...] to finish editing the Exile table files so that all the techroom entries no longer look like they were written by someone who had English as a second language.
Yet, that's exactly the case. It's called Polgrish.

Yeah, Nyctaeus has been telling me that he wasn't entirely satisfied with the end product his writers came up with. (That's my summation of what he told me; I'm not going to tell you his exact words.)

I'm almost done editing the species.tbl file. Next comes the ship descriptions in the ships.tbl file (that's a big-ass file), then the weapon descriptions in the weapons.tbl file (also a big-ass file) then the fiction files have to be edited which aren't very large but it might be the toughest part as I don't want to make any changes to the story yet at the same time, I have to decipher what the writers meant between their mixed metaphors and completely garbled misspellings. (Seriously, what the hell is "yelded" supposed to mean? Not to mention that Exile's writers kept using the word "invigilation" in place of "government surveillance". That is NOT what invigilation means!) :confused: :confused: :confused: :banghead: :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 03:14:03 pm by Su-tehp »
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I think it requires improvements. I'm not satisfied with some stuff that was "okay-ish" when I released ItDW. Opinions evolve as the skill incrases.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Oh, nice to see you helping to improve the mod. Big thanks, because I really liked it. Besides, you need to remember that some words even when being of very similar "construction" might mean different things across languages due to cultural and historical bias. In this case Polish "invigilation" is basically considered to be the same as "government surveillance" even though not really correct.

But we're getting off topic here, so let me toss a couple titles here.
Walls Closing: a small cozy minicampaign of "untold battles of Second Shivan Incursion" variety, a search and rescue operation for Phoenicia after she got mauled by the Sathanas in Bearbaiting.
Mantle: medium length Vasudan campaign, post-FS2 era - you play as a Hammer of Light insurgent but things go wrong at some point.
Uncharted Territory: medium length campaign, you are a pilot within a GTVA unit that got lost while conducting an experiment and you need to find your way back home.
Twisted Infinities - recent release from FSCRP, seems to be a medium campaign about post-Capella troubles of Epsilon Pegasi.
Trimurti - you play as the Shivans in FS1. Very alien and pretty horrifying experience. Good stuff.
The Antagonist - short campaign, some basic plot not related to FS and a very arcade battle experience. Intense gameplay.
Sol: A History - basically the history of what happened in Sol between FS1 and events of Inferno continuity - a good place to start chronologically playing the Inferno "timeline".
Just Another Day - a massive in scope Freespace comedy. Lots of anime content in newer parts.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.