Author Topic: Current IP Situation  (Read 9506 times)

Offline CT27

Re: Current IP Situation
Whenever a sequel gets released to a series I like, I'm concerned it wouldn't be as good as previous entries.  That'd being said, if Volition said they were making FS3, I would be at least cautiously optimistic and give it a chance.

The other thing people have mentioned here is "What if the community here got the rights to make FS3?"

I would definitely think FS3 would be technically possible to make...however that's not the main issue IMO.  The issue is:  could we even come to a consensus (even a simple majority) on what direction "our FS3" should/would take?
For example:
-"Transcend"...a lot of people love that campaign, but I can see a lot of people being upset if that's the direction FS3 would take since it doesn't feel like a normal FS campaign.
-A campaign like "Warzone" or "Inferno" or "The Aftermath:  Reboot" might be the 'safest' route to take but there would be more than a few who would feel that it's not innovative enough and too 'explosion-y' and just like FS2 (some would say they want a 'normal' campaign but others would say future campaigns shouldn't be like retail FS2)
-As beloved as "Blue Planet" is, there would be some who wouldn't want that to be the direction FS3 should take (whether they think the Vishnan/Brahman/Shivan stuff is too 'out there' or they simply don't think the GTVA should be the antagonist in an official FS campaign)

FYI:  I like the campaigns I've quoted.  I'm just saying that, even if somehow HLP got FS rights, there would be disagreement on what route FS3 should take.

Offline unsrm

Lots of great comments here, I understand these points of View. These conversations can all be picked up once there is something more detailed to report. I'm not ignoring anyone, I'm just working hard in the background for the time being 🙂

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
The issue is:  could we even come to a consensus (even a simple majority) on what direction "our FS3" should/would take?
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

But I already wrote an outline for FS3s plot :p

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
But I already wrote an outline for FS3s plot :p

So did I!

(Well, it's not much of an outline, really, more of a germ of an idea that I'm hoping will inspire me to greatness...never mind, I'll let myself out.)
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Strygon

• So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    • Steam
The only Freespace 3 I accept is the one made by xX_LORD_ULTRA_DEATH_Xx.  It is the pinnacle of high quality masterpiece writing, FREDding and beauty.
Makes missions sometimes.
Finished Projects: Operation: Cloak and Dagger

Current Projects: Scrolls Part 2 (FREDding), Dimensional Eclipse (Art),
The First Contact War, GTDr Amazon HTL

[23:22] strypolygon: andrew
[23:22] strypolygon: i have one favor to ask of you
[23:22] strypolygon: never try speaking german again
[23:23] Andrewofdoom: No.

[18:50] 島風改八百三: the duck has multipli
[18:50] 島風改八百三: many duck
[18:50] 島風改八百三: left side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: even side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: handle it

[21:34] MP-Ryan: Why on earth would you Google this
[21:34] The_E: why would you not

[06:46] Strigon: how big is a mini-campaign again?
[06:46] Asteroth: smaller than a campaign
[06:47 ]Strigon: thanks

[05:56] Strigon: If I had to take a shot for each time I randomly decided to change the UI sounds, I'd have died of alcohol poisoning by now

[17:36] qazwsxal: time to have some fun
[17:41] z64555: VC++5 is not my idea of fun

[EatThePath] do your missiles do anything absurd?
[Strigon] describe absurd
[Strigon] the entire mod is absurd

Offline starlord

Hah! Everyone knows the real freespace 3 is second Great War part 2

Hah! Everyone knows the real freespace 3 is second Great War part 2

Approved~

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Hey, everyone knows that the real Freespace 3 is “Freespace 3: the search for bosh”!

:nervous:

*runs*
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Here, have some fact: SGWP2 > Trollfs3

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
The Real Freespace 3 is the friends we made along the way.
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
To keep beating the dead horse: the community is too big and has too many ideas to ever come up with an FS3 that's going to satisfy even a majority of the community. Even if :v: somehow was willing and able to work on FS3, it's a very different studio than it was 20 years ago even if it has a decent amount of the same staff.

But as people have already said, the best things that would come out of some community collective owning the rights is the very dusty and rusty axe hanging over the whole of HLP finally being taken down and the game becoming more accessible than it's ever been before. Also having the ability to kick Freespace into the public domain is a nice side benefit.
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I would imagine it is quite possible to have an FS3 that 95% of fans could at least grudgingly enjoy and not regret.  Especially if it pulled an FS2 and didn't really answer anyone's questions about the Shivans.

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
If someone bought the license What then how would you use it just to make freespace 2 free? or try to create a remake of freespace 1 and 2 using current technological advancements and then trying to sell and see if there is interest
for more and go from there?

Let's be realistic it's been over 20 years now i guess you could buy the FS license for a cheap price but then what.
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

If someone bought the license What then how would you use it just to make freespace 2 free? or try to create a remake of freespace 1 and 2 using current technological advancements and then trying to sell and see if there is interest
for more and go from there?

Well people have been doing that already - FSPort, MVPs, STR; but also FS2Blue and some edited FS1 Trivial Psychic is working on.

Offline CT27

I would imagine it is quite possible to have an FS3 that 95% of fans could at least grudgingly enjoy and not regret.  Especially if it pulled an FS2 and didn't really answer anyone's questions about the Shivans.

Partially, I disagree.

I think that a Volition FS3 could potentially be grudgingly accepted by at least a simple majority of us here and space sim fans in general.

However, while I don't think it would have to answer every question...I think some might be disappointed if FS3 wasn't at least a tad more conclusive than FS2.  I don't think FS3 should just be a rehash of FS2's plot and I'd prefer it to be a little less open ended and actually solve something.

FS2 initially retold the story of FS1 (big ship invades) before doing something different but it wasn't bad. Anyway :v-old: had probably a rather original (very basic) concept, one that's probably different from all FS fan campaigns ever made so I'm sure they could deliver something nobody really has thought about if they wanted to.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
The Real Freespace 3 is the friends we made along the way.

Big words for someone within shooting distance of Holley.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Well, in the unlikely event that I am successful then that can certainly be looked into, the FSO creativity is one of the reasons the game still thrives 20 years later.

It's not unlikely, it's more like Hell freezing over or the 2nd Coming of Christ.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project

Partially, I disagree.

I think that a Volition FS3 could potentially be grudgingly accepted by at least a simple majority of us here and space sim fans in general.

However, while I don't think it would have to answer every question...I think some might be disappointed if FS3 wasn't at least a tad more conclusive than FS2.  I don't think FS3 should just be a rehash of FS2's plot and I'd prefer it to be a little less open ended and actually solve something.

Well that depends on what kind of FS3 we would get and the context all around its development. If the new owner of FreeSpace's IP eventually happens to have a specific plan to get an entire trilogy developed, or at least two more chapters, FS3 would definitely not lead the story to an end. We can't even exclude the possibility of FS3 diverging quite a bit from the space-sim genre. That's something we as a group of fans would not accept, but it's clearly meant to significantly expand the potential audience of one such sequel.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 11:23:45 am by Mobius »
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]