Author Topic: [WiP] The Nyxvana  (Read 15496 times)

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Something just occurred to me: remember how the cables on the latest MediaVPs of the Ravana had the red glow pulsate across the cables? Nyx, is your model going to do that?
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Something just occurred to me: remember how the cables on the latest MediaVPs of the Ravana had the red glow pulsate across the cables? Nyx, is your model going to do that?

Freeeky, in a good way  :yes:

Are the bottom cables going to connect to something like in the current model? I always liked how the lights flowing in opposite directions on the ravana hinted at energy, liquid, 'stuff' flowing in a circuit.  :)
They are now connected :]. And yeah, I'm gonna make animated texture for the braids, so they will pulse the same way as they do on Raven's Ravana.

Raven's Ravana o___O

Reading the thread is  :yes:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 10:02:17 pm by mjn.mixael »
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Animated textures on ships are going the way of the dodo without a cheaper way to do them unfortunately, but that one is too recognizable and iconic to lose.

Is there any interest in reversing the fin under the hangarbay into a feature like the other 3 rear talons? In stock it's the only feature that bends that way, but could easily be a fourth talon of the rear 'claw'.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Is there any interest in reversing the fin under the hangarbay into a feature like the other 3 rear talons? In stock it's the only feature that bends that way, but could easily be a fourth talon of the rear 'claw'.
It's violating asset development policy of the FSU. In retail, the claw faces backwards so it has to in my rework. Interpretation of certain sections, detailing etc. is all up to me, but I can't change the main lines and the design overally.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Fair enough. I’m eager to see what you do with it regardless !

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
(realises that the P3D preview updates over time)

You know, when I first saw the original HTL Ravana, I thought it couldn't be improved upon. This is on another level to that.

Your Ravana model is going to be truly awe-inspiring once it's complete.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Anyone else come on these development threads every few days to see how the models are coming along? Its shaping up nicely (or 'horribly' but in a good way - I love how it is deliberately wonky it is, like it's growing randomly and about to burst out of its shell  :nod:)
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Anyone else come on these development threads every few days to see how the models are coming along? Its shaping up nicely (or 'horribly' but in a good way - I love how it is deliberately wonky it is, like it's growing randomly and about to burst out of its shell  :nod:)
I guess quite lot of people :]. Nyxvana gets 100-150 new daily views, slowly reaching 900. I'm trying to post updates everyday as I progress this project forward.

Unless 75% of this is just Nightmare spamclicking F5 because he got bored :P
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

So in the pipeline is the Ravana, Orion and Demon? :3

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Just had a thought - will this new model fix the shooting through itself issue?
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
So in the pipeline is the Ravana, Orion and Demon? :3
If you're asking for updated models coming in next revision of MVPs, there is much more then that. So far we have Pegasus, Orion, Elysium, Azrael and most recent addon - the Demon. Those are complete and in the middle of testing stage. We have couple more things like Kestrellius' weapon effects. We also completed general cleanup of our modpack, and lots of depreciated and unused maps got moved to MV_Compatibility.

4.3.0 is going to be released late july or early august, so there is a chance for more assets to appear in this release, including Asmodeus, Faustus or Ravana.

Not likely. Our tables does not contain "check hull" flag in tables to keep things consistent with retail.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter

My understanding is that there's really not a way to fix that from a model/table standpoint that won't completely ruin the retail missions in which it happens. Mods, however, are free to add "Check Hull" as Nyc said.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Luis Dias

I just love coming back here to see this beauty being slowly (actually really fast) actualized into existence, always new details and nuances to admire.

Great stuff! :yes: :yes:

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
The Nyxvana is shaping up nicely, but I still can't get over those clawed nodules on the cables. Maybe they'll look better once they're colored and skinned, but right now...ugh. :ick:

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
The Nyxvana is shaping up nicely, but I still can't get over those clawed nodules on the cables. Maybe they'll look better once they're colored and skinned, but right now...ugh. :ick:
The truth is: I want some **** to be there, but so far I have no particular idea for shape of those things :P

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
but so far I have no particular idea for shape of those things :P

How about some crapb carapace as inspiration? Would have them look less mechanical...
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 04:12:14 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Ugh, I HATE seafood. :ick:

Wait, did you mean "crab carapace" when you said "crap carapace?" :confused:

The truth is: I want some **** to be there, but so far I have no particular idea for shape of those things :P

Don't overthink it. Sometimes less is more. :D

The Order of the Stick

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Ugh, I ]HATE seafood. :ick:

Wait, did you mean "crab carapace" when you said "crap carapace?" :confused:

Trying to coax the engine to do stuff on an empty stomach makes world like samey :)

Also your opinion of aquatic lifeforms might improve if you no longer categorize them by "can I eat that?" - most species are adopted for the living in water are wonderful and the impression of weirdness just comes from the unfamiliar
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Oh, I have no problem with the weirdness of aquatic life forms; bioluminescence in the deep ocean is awesome!

My main problem with seafood is the smell. :ick:

The Order of the Stick