Author Topic: Disney-era Star Wars might get reset?  (Read 2660 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Disney-era Star Wars might get reset?
Sounds highly unlikely, and is probably mostly wishful thinking, but...

https://cosmicbook.news/disney-resetting-star-wars-erasing-last-jedi

Here's hoping that if this is true, they go ahead with what they should have done in the first place and make Ep 7-9 from the Thrawn Trilogy.

My pick for ROTJ+5-era Luke: The Winter Soldier himself, Sebastian Stan.
Leia could be any number of actresses, but the one that stands out to me for sheer likeness to young Carrie Fisher is Maggie Gyllenhaal.
As for Han, Guy Pearce's performance in Lockout (2012) convinced me he could do a superb job.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
Re: Disney-era Star Wars might get reset?
Why do we need a thread for a bull**** rumor circulated by a third rate website from a third-rate chud of a youtuber? We get it, you don't like The Last Jedi. Move on.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Good Lord. Way to strike up the conversation, there.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Ok, well I'll start then.

I saw that article. Thought the same thing about the website that posted it. On the other hand, the actual source of the information has been credible before.. so who knows.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me that Disney is doing something to try and save their $4 billion purchase. Let's remember that when they bought the franchise they boasted at least one Star Wars movie every year until the end of time. And it was a boast. They were very proud of themselves. Cut to now and the trend-line for box office profits is downward and the fanbase is split. In addition it's common knowledge (and backed up by data) that the toys are not selling and haven't been for years. The new toys for the new characters did nothing to help that trend line either.

The claims of the article that they are going to use a sci-fi thing introduced in a tv show that lay-audiences haven't seen seems a little far-fetched... I honestly think it's more likely they'll quietly displace Kennedy and just move on, possibly to Star Wars being a Disney+ tv show affair for a while. I know there's supposedly other films in the works, but everything Star Wars has been in limbo ever since the TLJ drama and ROS did nothing to patch that all back together. The film is one measure shy of being a sci-fi laughing stock either because it's so absurd or because of what it does to TLJ.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Well... companies will milk SW until it's dead. Double ****ing dead.

Maybe Disney won't be the last owner of the franchise anyway. Perhabs some Chinese company could buy it; and the OT gets rebooted with the rebel army being actual communists fighting the evil empire, Luke does his training by reading a red book with the spirit of their surpreme leader giving everyone who believes in him superpowers.

I saw that article. Thought the same thing about the website that posted it. On the other hand, the actual source of the information has been credible before.. so who knows.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me that Disney is doing something to try and save their $4 billion purchase.

Big same. It would make a lot of sense to just... pretend the sequel trilogy didn't happen. Or maybe did, or would, or could or whatever, but that it's completely irrelevant to whatever stories they want to tell.

Giving new movies to somebody actually creative and competent, who could actually tell a good, consistent, and maybe even fresh story would really relight my interest in the things. And if they have any really cool spaceship designs, I could be persuaded to part with some merch money.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Star Wars doesn't have a single "broken keel" that explains why it might have peaked in relevance and appeal; and the people in charge seems to know so too, overwise they wouldn't be going ahead with different directions across all the media they are still making.

Well... companies will milk SW until it's dead. Double ****ing dead.

Uhm, that is the genesis of much of Star Wars' pop-cultural relevance -- let's not forget that merchandising is one of the foundational aspects of the Star Wars-brand, going all the way back to the Kenner toys. The oversaturation that came with the prequels might have tuned people against it, but it was not a new thing then.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
That article is one of the most profoundly stupid ass-pull theories I've ever read.

Oh and the comments are full of misogynist incels *****ing about **** they don't understand, so as always, don't even touch them.

Nobody actually likes Star Wars do they

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum

this is news?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I think that the past two decades' worth of Star Wars has shown once and for all that fandoms have no ****ing idea what they actually want.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain

I like slave leia.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
hmm

interesting article, that

hits every checkbox on the "bad movie opinions for beginners" tree; including: "Brie Larson is bad and I don't like her", "Kathleen Kennedy is bad and I don't like her", "Here's some unsubstantiated bull**** I think is a connection between this movie and this semi-obscure tie-in" and "They're definitely going to use that to make all my dreams come true".

And the source for all that? A person going by the handle "Doomcock Overlord", whose greatest scoop and claim to having inside info is..... something he cribbed off of a Star Wars leaks subreddit.

Meanwhile, out in the real world, the films alone were quite a bit more profitable under Disney than they were under Lucas; Sure, the tie-in market kinda burned down, but there's quite a few external factors that play into that.

It's quite clear that the grand "one Star Wars movie per year" plan completely failed to take off; I think mjn is right in assuming that they're going to make new Star Wars stuff in the form of Disney+ series for a while until everyone has calmed down a bit.

I think that the past two decades' worth of Star Wars has shown once and for all that fandoms have no ****ing idea what they actually want.

Also this.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
The reason why I think this might be plausible is—as some of you have pointed out—because of the merchandise. Truly good Star Wars content (The Mandalorian; The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels) seems to be far more popular with tie-in (note: not to be confused with the TIE/IN) merch than any sequel-related content has. Not to mention the general reception of those shows vs the movies.

Disney isn't stupid; they won't keep beating a dead horse. It's just that in the film industry, the cycle of action-reaction-re-reaction takes many years to complete. Movies are in production for years (writing, casting, filming, editing, etc) before the public sees anything more than a trailer. If they've passed a certain point in the production of a movie, it may not make any sense to cancel it even if they predict it will be badly received—it's all about ROI.

It may not seem like they're reacting to the fans' likes and dislikes, but give it time.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It may not seem like they're reacting to the fans' likes and dislikes, but give it time.

:rolleyes:

Enjoy your perfectly bland, inoffensive Star Wars-branded sludge, I guess? Cos that's the end result of listening to a fanbase as riddled with morons as the Star Wars one is.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
As far as I'm concerned any fandom that thinks RoS is a better film than TLJ (flawed as it is) or that the plot hooks in TFA were ever going to pan out into anything worth watching can keep the entire thing. The problem with the Star Wars films is that they haven't got any idea what to do with them beyond that they should have them and that they should make money.

If they want to do something interesting with the franchise (like The Mandalorian for instance) then I'll watch it. But if they're going to listen to the fans, I'm certainly never going to pay money to watch the kind of rubbish that will produce. And if you disagree with me, imagine what a load of ****e The Mandalorian would have been if the fans had a chance. "Well, it has to be about Boba Fett!" "And it has to have characters from the films in it!"
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
Or Clone Wars, for that matter. Everybody and their goddamn mother loves Ahsoka Tano now and I remember how much absolute screaming there was about the character when the pilot movie hit theaters. Now every time she shows up all the fans cheer (I mean, so do I, she's great) but if you said that back in 2008 you'd have gotten pilloried by the fandom.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Have been following this, we can hope it turns out to be true, but it seems very difficult... Not impossible of course: lots of franchises have decanonised movies in various ways, either with time travel (X Men, Terminator, Star Trek) or by just choosing to ignore the films they don't like (Superman, I believe RoboCop and Cloverfield are getting this treatment as well). So it wouldn't be unprecedented. But harder to do so soon, and in such a high profile way.

I think the vastly more likely outcome is that they just sort of ignore the entire sequel era for the foreseeable future, focus on the imperial era, the distant past or the immediate aftermath of Endor. That's already happening: think about the projects they've announced or released lately: the Disney+ series are Cassian, Obi Wan and Mandalorian, none of which will touch the sequel era proper. Jedi Fallen Order was Imperial era, Squadrons is going to be imperial era, this High Republic thing is Republic era. Resistance was cancelled, all the upcoming comics and all but one of the upcoming books are non-sequel except the RoS adaptation and an anthology or two of released material. And this is all, what, less than six months after the last movie came out? They're pretty clearly not pushing them very hard at the absolute least.

So, I guess I live in hope but expect little.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Rather then turning this into another whole discussion wrt the sequels (which, for starters, I can't participate in since I haven't seen Rise of Skywalker yet oops*), the whole notion of them just making the sequels irrellevant when these sequels totally succeeded in the goal of making them money and in fact continue to make money for them through various ways is a bit dumb. I'm not surprised that it blew up the way it did, becuase Star Wars fans don't actually like Star Wars they just like being salty nerds.

Mandalorian is pretty good though. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney pivoted more to making stuff like that.

* Also Rae in TFA is hardly as capable as Luke all her ship abilities are explained by her working for an used starship dealer who has owned the millenium falcon for the past 20 years and all she does in the second part of the film is to get captured and then succesfully managing to run away with the help of Finn, Han and Chewie rather then Luke who one-shots the most powerful battle station ever constructed becuase he just happens to learn space magic at the right time CHANGE MY MIND

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
"we can hope", he says.

All you can reasonably hope for at this point is your regular serving of bland extruded Star Wars product, now that Disney seems convinced that using Star Wars to tell actual stories is a bad idea.