Author Topic: OT-Religion...  (Read 76184 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Unknown Target

  • Get off my lawn!
  • Global Moderator
  • 212
  • Push.Pull?
Srry, but I had to get this off my chest:

What's yours, what do you think of it, where do you think it originated.


Personally, I think Christianity, Islam, Budhism, etc, are all fakes. Now, before I get flamed to death here, can I explain my points?

OK, it's quite simple, actually. Religion, or at least the way we practice it, was imagined, created, and is followed by humans. Now, unless you're a god, you will make mistakes, as you are human!!!
Therefore, have you ever wondered why science so frequently clashes with religion, or, more specifically, with the bible? It's because, in my opinion, since the bible was written by human hands, it has changed, morphed, and downright differed, from the originall stories. As Ibn Buttuta was forced to right down his travels, he emblemished, and, so has this happened to the bible over time.
For instance, if you don't believe me, look through the news archives, and you'll see that they're coming out with a politically correct version!!!
So, basically, the scandal with the pope? I do not believe that this should meen the end of the religion. No, the pope, and the members in his employ, are humans, and, therefore, are subject to mistake.
Truly, the only being fit to lead a religion and pray to God is God himself.....

EDIT: I know I'm probably going to be banned for this...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2002, 10:55:45 am by 368 »

 

Offline an0n

  • Banned again
  • 211
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
AAAAAAARGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

*is incinerated by approaching wall of flames*
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
[email protected]!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

 

Offline Kellan

  • Down with pansy elves!
  • 27
    • http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/blackwater
This is a bad idea... :doubt:

I don't believe that the Pope et al can get away scot-free based on their religion. Although they are victims of personal mistakes, they do appear to have been victims of multiple mistakes over a sustained period. The Catholic Church as an entity didn't abuse children or endorse it, but it created an atmosphere through religious attitude where it could occur, and then failed to check for it and root it out.

Before anyone guesses, I'm an Atheist and have all the contempt for organised religion that implies. :blah:

And admins, don't lock this thread - yet. If we can all be civil I see no reason to, but if we have to *join an0n in the sea of flames* the thread will be pointless.

 

Offline Fineus

  • I made this.
  • Administrator
  • 212
    • Hard Light Productions
We'll let this go as long as it stays clean, no flaming please - just talk about it :)

 

Offline an0n

  • Banned again
  • 211
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
Quote
Originally posted by Thunder
We'll let this go as long as it stays clean, no flaming please - just talk about it :)

Do you honestly believe that there is any way this won't end up as pure flaming?
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
[email protected]!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

 

Offline Reaper

  • Swarmer
  • 28
    • http://www.winissimo.net/ww3/
Quote
Originally posted by Thunder
We'll let this go as long as it stays clean, no flaming please - just talk about it :)

Oke thunder...


Anyway... Like in startrek... There's no money, cos ppl are intresting in power... so was the christian church... look the middle ages... they had power, money... and were soo soo evil... And this days all the meaning of christian religin was forgotten... But it's still the religion that is everywhere...
There is full moon shining on the sky... It's midnight... I'm rising from my grave... I have my scythe and i'm thirsty for blood... I'm ready, i'm ready to steal souls and feed on them... I'm ready to kill
World War III: Wasteland Earth

 

Offline Nico

  • Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
  • 212
Quote
Originally posted by Infested_Larva

Oke thunder...


Anyway... Like in startrek... There's no money, cos ppl are intresting in power... so was the christian church... look the middle ages... they had power, money... and were soo soo evil... And this days all the meaning of christian religin was forgotten... But it's still the religion that is everywhere...


I won't enter into faith considerations or anuthing, but you're making generalisations. On an historical point of view, during middle age, christian church followed different paths. Cistercian church was supporting a cheap way of living, built chuches w/o fancy  decorations, while the Clunisians were the exact opposite. In religion, you can't make generalisations ( and you shouldn't anyway on such a touchy topic )
SCREW CANON!

 

Offline TheCelestialOne

  • Man of Exceptional Taste
  • 28
Quote
Originally posted by Unkown Target
What's yours, what do you think of it, where do you think it originated.


I do not beleive in any god or such. I believe in myself. I don't think there is a god. Not a allmighty super god like the christian God or Allah. Because if there was no such thing as war would exist. I have no problem with any beliefs though.

I believe in myself because I think I am in control of MY life and nobody else not even Bill Gates!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2002, 11:50:03 am by 595 »
"I also like to stomp my enemies, incite rebellions, start the occasional war, and spend lazy hours preening my battle aura."

~Supporter of the The Babylon Project~

Like Babylon 5? Like Star Trek? Like science fiction? Go HERE

 

Offline Zeronet

  • Hanger Man
  • 29
Quote
Originally posted by Unkown Target
Srry, but I had to get this off my chest:

What's yours, what do you think of it, where do you think it originated.


Personally, I think Christianity, Islam, Budhism, etc, are all fakes. Now, before I get flamed to death here, can I explain my points?

OK, it's quite simple, actually. Religion, or at least the way we practice it, was imagined, created, and is followed by humans. Now, unless you're a god, you will make mistakes, as you are human!!!
Therefore, have you ever wondered why science so frequently clashes with religion, or, more specifically, with the bible? It's because, in my opinion, since the bible was written by human hands, it has changed, morphed, and downright differed, from the originall stories. As Ibn Buttuta was forced to right down his travels, he emblemished, and, so has this happened to the bible over time.
For instance, if you don't believe me, look through the news archives, and you'll see that they're coming out with a politically correct version!!!
So, basically, the scandal with the pope? I do not believe that this should meen the end of the religion. No, the pope, and the members in his employ, are humans, and, therefore, are subject to mistake.
Truly, the only being fit to lead a religion and pray to God is God himself.....

EDIT: I know I'm probably going to be banned for this...



I was baptised a Roman Catholic at the age of 9. After meeting with the priest every wednesday to learn about Jesus and the lord, thus unlike some people, i actually chose my religion from the outset. Now to refer to your first view

(although not my view, its a view that some people do have and thus deserves to be shown as it does serve as to further the discussion, as im sure some of you will point out that Mohammed could of made it all up or other such facts,also as generally Islam has created a fair degree of suffering in the world because of the strictness involved, which some people take to extremism its a )

, Islam was created by the word of Allah, as Mohammed was told by Allah how he wanted people to lead their lives thus as he is considered a G_D by Muslims, there will be no mistakes.

Science clashes with Religion, because people are too literal, in the times this story was wrote, people wouldnt understand evolution and doing this would tamper with the lords creation, we would not longer be idependant or free, just puppets on strings, our every action controlled by the lord so that we are all perfect. The stories were wrote to be understood without directing interfering with us too much. Take the creation story, what it does say is not literally true, but if you read between the lines, it makes sense. It describes to us, what happened in a way everyone can understand. On the 7th day, the lord rested and left us to our own devices. If the lord didnt, there wouldnt be much point to our lives.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2002, 12:29:40 pm by 419 »
Got Ether?

 

Offline an0n

  • Banned again
  • 211
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
As far as I am concerned, I am a god. I will attain power and I will smite people down with it. I will control the destinies of everyone I meet. The only thing more powerful? The universe itself, not a living entity but a bundle of energy and laws. This belief has served me well in the past and will continue to do so in the future.

Not to be taken too literally but still, a fair summation of my beliefs.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
[email protected]!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

 

Offline Zeronet

  • Hanger Man
  • 29
I think you should post a more serious answer an0n or explain the current one more. You arent a omnipotent being and therfore you are not g_d.
Got Ether?

 

Offline an0n

  • Banned again
  • 211
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
Quote
Originally posted by Zeronet
I think you should post a more serious answer an0n or explain the current one more. You arent a omnipotent being and therfore you are not g_d.

I am serious and being a god, I don't feel the need to explain myself to you, mortal. Now begone, lest my might be thrust upon you, in an entirely non-inuendo kind of way.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
[email protected]!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

 

Offline Fineus

  • I made this.
  • Administrator
  • 212
    • Hard Light Productions
an0n, kindly shut up with the "I am god" talk and the general spam. Nothing you've said in this thread so far has been discussion worthy and even if you do consider yourself a god in real life - here the admin are above you. Deal with it and cut out the weirdness please :)

 

Offline an0n

  • Banned again
  • 211
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
Quote
Originally posted by Thunder
an0n, kindly shut up with the "I am god" talk and the general spam. Nothing you've said in this thread so far has been discussion worthy and even if you do consider yourself a god in real life - here the admin are above you. Deal with it and cut out the weirdness please :)

Fine.

*walks off in an omnipotent, glowing, malevolant sulk*
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
[email protected]!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

 

Offline TheCelestialOne

  • Man of Exceptional Taste
  • 28
I too think i'm a god. But only for myself nt for others.I shape my own destiny not another person therefor I am my own god.
"I also like to stomp my enemies, incite rebellions, start the occasional war, and spend lazy hours preening my battle aura."

~Supporter of the The Babylon Project~

Like Babylon 5? Like Star Trek? Like science fiction? Go HERE

 

Offline Zeronet

  • Hanger Man
  • 29
I removed the more aggresive parts of my post, always best to let Admins deal with stuff.
Got Ether?

 

Offline an0n

  • Banned again
  • 211
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
Quote
Originally posted by TheCelestialOne
I too think i'm a god. But only for myself nt for others.I shape my own destiny not another person therefor I am my own god.

That's a rather defeatist attitude.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
[email protected]!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

 

Offline TheCelestialOne

  • Man of Exceptional Taste
  • 28
I'm don't speak English that well... Please explain "defeatist".

Thank you.
"I also like to stomp my enemies, incite rebellions, start the occasional war, and spend lazy hours preening my battle aura."

~Supporter of the The Babylon Project~

Like Babylon 5? Like Star Trek? Like science fiction? Go HERE

 

Offline Fineus

  • I made this.
  • Administrator
  • 212
    • Hard Light Productions
It means your willing to put up with less than 100% control over everything.

 

Offline an0n

  • Banned again
  • 211
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
Quote
Originally posted by TheCelestialOne
I'm not English... Please explain "defeatist".

Thank you.

You believe you have/will be/are beaten.

Thunder: Eh?

http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=defeatist
« Last Edit: May 10, 2002, 12:50:46 pm by 397 »
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
[email protected]!~=-~ : Nodewar.com