Author Topic: [RELEASE] TF Ion (previously the Shivan Hunter learns to model thread :P)  (Read 29214 times)

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
[RELEASE] TF Ion (previously the Shivan Hunter learns to model thread :P)
So, the first of a line of fighters, the TF Ion, has been released. DL link is on the fourth page, in my sig, and here for teh lazy.

SLIGHTLY OUT-OF-DATE PIC:

All modelers require feedback as sustenance! Feed me feedback! Even if it's to say the model is one big mesh error!

:P

Original Post:

So I'm making my first Wings3D model (MUCH BETTER THAN TRUESPACE BTW) and I've finished an engine pod... but I have no idea what to do with the fuselage and cockpit.

I'm going for a smallish stealth fighter in the FS1 Terran style.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 05:40:37 pm by Shivan Hunter »

Re: Design issues (making a model)
It doesn't look stealthish though =/.

Look up space ship stuff on DeviantArt, you'll find lots of inspiring art there. Some maybe made by artists we all wish to be like someday. Just a hint, I honestly can't think of a thing for this fighter myself. As I said it doesn't look very stealthy. Just a small idea I'd build a fusalage around the engine pod, make it a single body, single engine craft. The ultra slim shape would be rather tough to hit...
I have created a masterpiece.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Wow, that would be PERFECT for the winglets of the NTF Lupus. It's modified Loki, with the firepower of an Erinyes and restoring the stealth of the original. Imagine the FreeSpace equivalent of the TIE Defender.

You see the 'pods' where that chunk would go? Think you can do it?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Iunno, I don't think it would go well on three sides like that :/

I'm thinking maybe a Medusa or Herc-style fuselage, attached to the engine pods like the current Medusa is attached to the missile pods. It'll need at least some 3-dimensional component though, so it's not just a flat series of boxes.

I just got an idea, going to draw some concept art.

Kinda looks like a Homeworld frigate (or bigger).
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Iunno, I don't think it would go well on three sides like that :/

Not on three sides... mirrored, with two on each wing and two on top.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline -Sara-

A front silhouette I thought up for you, using what you made thus far as a winglet. The things on top being tail wings. White ovals are gunpoints, circles a missile bay. Maybe a heavy fighter or light bomber from the Loki's generation, to function along the Loki fighter and Zeus bomber?

Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
So I've rethought the center design- originally I was going to go for a kind of bulbous, Mudusa or Herc-like thingie, but it ended up looking like total crap. So I browsed around conceptships.blogspot.com (excellent site btw), and got an idea for a heavy assault fighter or light bomber.

I'm going to get it into FS, but it's an original design that only takes inspiration from FS1-style Terran. That little thingie between the two pods at the very front is the cockpit- it's somewhat concealed, with little actual visibility since Terrans in my universe are phasing out exposed cockpits in favor of a system of redundant sensor arrays. It also uses [REDACTED] engine technology [REDACTED] to [REDACTED] [REDACTED] because of the [REDACTED].

I've been reading too much SCP foundation >.>

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken