Author Topic: [RELEASE] Space Rocks  (Read 19196 times)

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
The polygons I've been p1mping in the Celebration of FS thread:

Size comparison 1: small rocks
Size comparison 2: some larger rocks
Size comparison 3: All larger rocks
Size comparison 4: collection models

Download

The pack consists of 3 sets of 4 asteroids ranging from fighter to cruiser size (asteroids.tbl not included but they're well-suited for that purpose), "collection" models of these, and five larger rocks, ranging from cruiser size to Colossus size. Also a test mission which is the source of these screenshots. It's quite slow as I really went overboard with the scenery - it averages ~30fps on my PC.

The "collection" models include many of the smaller asteroids in a single subobject (with a single texture). This allows for an obscene amount of rocks in a mission without approaching the ship limit. This approach comes with drawbacks: the rocks must all move as one object, and since they're all one subobject, must all be destroyed together as well. These models are therefore not well-suited for interaction with the mission.

All of the models also have no debris, though it wouldn't be terribly hard to use smaller rocks as debris for the larger ones. If there's demand for this I'll make a new version.

Also note that if you modify any of the larger POFs (the ones that come dangerously close to the vert limit :p), FRED or FS will take several minutes to build the cache again. Just wait it out, it hasn't crashed. Most of you probably know this, just a heads up for those who don't.

One more caveat, and possibly the reason for a lot of the slowness in the test mission: if two of these collection models have overlapping bounding boxes, even if they both have the "does not move" flag, FS will do a per-poly collision check between them. They all have tens of thousands of polys so this gets pretty CPU expensive. Try not to have too many of them overlapping.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 05:53:25 pm by Shivan Hunter »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
That's no moon...

(ohai Mimas!)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Neat, gonna check this out.

(Also, them fightin' words on that colossus)
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

It rocks! :D

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
The guys who put that Arcadia there must have been a bunch of dareshivans.

Osom pak!

Also, that third pic: http://i.imgur.com/NgsCkGp.gif

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
I'm curious - how does the test mission perform for everyone?

Nightly: min 10fps, max 60 because vsync.

Deferred Lighting and soft shadows build: min 4fps - max ~40 :p

But it's 6650M

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Looks solid
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie

The "collection" models include many of the smaller asteroids in a single subobject (with a single texture). This allows for an obscene amount of rocks in a mission without approaching the ship limit. This approach comes with drawbacks: the rocks must all move as one object, and since they're all one subobject, must all be destroyed together as well. These models are therefore not well-suited for interaction with the mission.
Here's a thought... for collections, have a single large asteroid as the central of every group, then have smaller asteroids as destroyable subobjects of the larger one, with rotation around the central one simulating orbits.  I believe that there is a flag which allows damage to subobjects not carry over to the parent object, so that way you can destroy the orbiting rocks without damaging the central one.  Also, you can have the orbiting asteroids as debris of the central one, so that if the central is destroyed, the smaller ones fly off in all directions (like when the Knossos is destroyed) simulating the loss of the larger one's gravity.  You may also be able to incorporate subobject debris (as seen on the Boacedia), but that one can be a resource hog, or so I'm told.  All this said, its may be that you can't use all this complex subobject stuff with the auto-generated asteroid field, in which case it would be limited to manually-placed asteroids.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
That's definitely a nice and interesting addition for modders to use. Nice job, Shivan Hunter!  :yes:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
But does it have Churyumov-Gerasimenko? :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
not exactly, but one of the rocks has P67's general shape.

Offline johnney351

• bring'em on!
Very good ! like the details and plenty details etc to give some graphics cards a hard time ! cool stuff, well done !

Johnny
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 10:16:36 am by johnney351 »
Cheers
John

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Wow amazing job!
I always felt FS lacked somewhat on the asteroidz field, mvp ones look amazing but since they are used everywhere the charm kinda faded away.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I'm curious - how does the test mission perform for everyone?
With shadows and deferred lighting build, stable 30fps when looking at the planet, 60fps when looking in a different direction.

It sure feels rad to fly through an asteroid field like this though, very pretty.
Also, them godrays.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
If anyone has problems downloading the file linked in the first post, I've mirrored it here: http://dev.tproxy.de/mirror/space_rocks.7z

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Thanks! My box.com account reached max bandwidth for this month - the file should be available from it again sometime tomorrow.

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
cool 'stroids man!
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ

Oh u
Urutorahappī!!