Author Topic: [RELEASE] TF Electron  (Read 8254 times)

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
[RELEASE] TF Electron
So, I finished it. I think. Unless there's something really obvious I missed. But I think it's all there!

DOWNLOAD

(hmmm... it kinda looks like it has no normal map in those pics, but it's just the angles.)

Original post:
So I've been working on some HTLs of older models for mjn.mixael's BtA... and it turns out, HTLs are a lot harder than doing a model from scratch! I'm limited to a vague design concept rather than creating as I go... and older FS ships are so blocky... I'll be doing those HTLs, of course, but between periods of staring at them and scrolling mindlessly down conceptships.blogspot.com, I've churned out a few more polygons!

Modelling the LOD0 is done. Texturing is partly done (Thanks to Axem for telling me how to bake AO in Blender!). Debris and LODS are not started.

It's an extremely small "fighter" ("armed shuttle" might be a more apt description), with two small missile bays, and two 2-firepoint primary bays compatible with only the most bare-bones, terribad weapons available. Its speed, small target profile and low manufacturing cost make it an effective swarm fighter, and not much else.

[EDIT] In my tiredness I derped on the name. The Neutrino will be, appropriately, a stealth ship. This is the Electron.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 05:39:16 pm by Shivan Hunter »

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Neatness.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
I don't know why, but your ships have a texture that reminds me of wood, for some reason. Space, metal, wood. And that's rad as heck. :yes:

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yup, looks like I'll be using that too... :)
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
Re: [RELEASE] TF Electron
striking design, very well done
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Nice ship, but don't you have a better mirror? This one has absymal DL speed for me.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Hmm - never had that complaint before. Does anyone else have this issue? I always thought box was good for DL speeds. Anyway, I uploaded it to FSMods.net but it seems an admin needs to review it before it goes public.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
You're great, man. I've never seen that industrial-looking ships for FS ever. I'm glad to use Your models as part of my fleet :yes:
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
This is now wikified and already was FSMods.netified

People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline --Steve-O--

• I might be the last man on earth to use TS3.2
OK, I have got to know... what is your trick to creating the wear marks and paint chipping around the hull panel joints and edges on the diffuse map? the end result coupled with the shine map is top notch! I've tried various methods and cant seem to find one that really makes good wear and tear, came close, but not perfect...

"And so they dwelled in filth, on worlds made of dirt and feces, and there they lay until they stumbled into the skies." --the Mad Prophet

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
An old trick I found by trial and error when first doing the TF Ion. It's in that thread, but here you go:

I have a brushed aluminum-esque texture that I can tile, so it can fit any size.

I make two layers out of this, of the same shape (of the piece I'm texturing). It's all light gray at this point. Then I take the bottom layer and increase the contrast and darken it a lot.

Then, I take a set of grunge brushes (you can find a bunch of good ones to download, usually on DeviantArt), and erase bits from the top (light gray) layer in areas that would receive wear and tear (edges of polygons and edges of panels), revealing the darker layer.

After adding panel lines and rivets/bolts, I get a good metal texture with damage on the edges.

I create a new layer from all these so I can select based on color. Then I use Gimp's Wand tool (select areas of similar color) to select the centers of the panels- the less-damaged bits. The threshold for selecting color determines how much paint is chipped. After selecting all these, I create a new layer and "fill" it with a certain color, and set it as a certain transparency.

If you select the areas right, you'll have paint chipped around the edges, and also less color on the extra-bright areas of the texture to look like scratches.

The thing about this method is it doesn't take a lot of skill to get right, which makes it perfect for me. :P

When doing the specular map, I usually copy the paint layer and darken it, and brighten the gray texture, so the underlying "metal" is more shiny but the paint isn't.

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
Did you ever think of making a destroyer based off the same design philosophy you put into the Ion, Photon and Electron? Might come up with something interesting no?
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>
  /  \ All the Single Ladies

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
the mighty TD Atom! shredding through them shivans

nice tutorial Shivan Hunter, i might make use of this
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need