Author Topic: HTL Medusa  (Read 69353 times)

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I stated this project after trying to create the concept Medusa. Well I failed at that, and it came out better as a new Medusa HTL.

And yeah, some parts bug me as-is, like the connections to the hull from the missile pods. But I'll work those out.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Don't we already have an HTL Medusa?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
That's probably why Hades said "new Medusa HTL".
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
We do.

Maybe you could make a few modifications and turn this into a HTL Gorgon, from Awakenings? It's a pre-FS1 medium bomber which used the Medusa mesh back in the day.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Hades

Well, considering the current HTL looks almost exactly the same as the retail model with some more detail added, I thought it could use an update too
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
lvlshot FTW!

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
IMO the problem is the horrid texture, not the model. The one we're using is still 512x512 IIRC. Some fighters/bombers have high-res textures in mv_advanced; the Medusa doesn't.

[EDIT] Actually, resizing the original map (from FS1) to 1024x1024 (since it's not a power of 2 originally) and using it instead is an improvement but the texture still needs work (actually, with the good texture the normal map looks bad, since it's just a bunch of lines).
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 04:23:24 pm by Shivan Hunter »

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Yes, the texture is what need an update, though the model itself is also old.

Offline Hades

Ignore the fins on the back and the exhaust thing on the bottom, the fins aren't done and the thing on the bottom is being redone.

Also, keep in mind that much of the detailing I'm planning to do isn't modeled yet, before  do that I'm gonna be fixing up parts already present and doing the head.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

I support a new Medusa. The old one is great, but a new one would be very refreshing, and this one looks highly promising so far.  ;7

I also agree that a new texture is needed; The old one does feel very retail, and not on par with most bombers.
Previous Projects: Ancient-Shivan War | GTF Durandal

Current Projects: Exile: Into The Dark Waters (Proof-editing/misc)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
There's some interesting curves going on in your new model, Hades, but I don't think you need a complete re-model of the Medusa here. That said, no one's going to stop you from modeling it, but I don't think the route you're taking is the best. If the Medusa really needed more detail, the best thing to do at this stage would be to grab the current HTL model and really ramp up the detail - from that point, you could create normal maps of superior quality.

With regards to the Gorgon, that was actually one of my oldest projects, and I've even posted some write-ups on the subject of Cardinal Spear's bomber in the past. If you'd be interested in working on that, I could make an attempt at some point to work on getting some proper artwork posted. Keep in mind that along with my prior offer on the Hermes, I'm quite busy with my own affairs, so that might have to wait for a while.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Hades

There's some interesting curves going on in your new model, Hades, but I don't think you need a complete re-model of the Medusa here. That said, no one's going to stop you from modeling it, but I don't think the route you're taking is the best. If the Medusa really needed more detail, the best thing to do at this stage would be to grab the current HTL model and really ramp up the detail - from that point, you could create normal maps of superior quality.
That's pretty damned silly, considering that A) that's exactly how the current HTL model was created, and B) that's being lazy and pretty uncreative. Detail alone does not a good HTL make.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 02:16:30 am by Had-- »
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Looking mighty fine there!

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
It's not going to look worse than the current HTL, so I think that it should be continued.
In fact, finished parts already look much better than on the old model.
Making normal maps for a model that's already done isn't going to achieve such effect as having both new model and new normals.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
That's pretty damned silly, considering that A) that's exactly how the current HTL model was created, and B) that's being lazy and pretty uncreative. Detail alone does not a good HTL make.

:doubt:

Well, whatever Hades. I understand why you take offense to that statement, and it's fine you do. This is your model, and I know you've worked hard on it. However, I support the older HTL model in many respects as it stays true to form with respect to the spirit of Volition's original model. It's possible some areas are lacking in that regard, but nevertheless it is the Medusa through and through. The areas I see which do not reflect the Medusa design in your model stand out right away: the engine vector flaps, the asymmetrical weapons pods, and the somewhat senseless greebling connecting them with the fuselage. If this insight is useful, then by all means we ought to discuss it.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Hades

Well, whatever Hades. I understand why you take offense to that statement, and it's fine you do. This is your model, and I know you've worked hard on it. However, I support the older HTL model in many respects as it stays true to form with respect to the spirit of Volition's original model. It's possible some areas are lacking in that regard, but nevertheless it is the Medusa through and through. The areas I see which do not reflect the Medusa design in your model stand out right away: the engine vector flaps, the asymmetrical weapons pods, and the somewhat senseless greebling connecting them with the fuselage. If this insight is useful, then by all means we ought to discuss it.
First off, it's not because it's my model I take offense to that statement, but it's the fact that just adding detail to the old meshes won't make good HTLs, considering that's how the HTL medusa we have now was done.

The fins are, as said, not finished as are the connections to the missile pods (which aren't asymetrical, I tested a new attachment on one and left the other unchanged).

And take a good look at the attachment from the pods to the hull on the htl, it looks so frail that single shot would take it out (let alone sitting like we see it sit in the Bastion mainhall would cause them to break). The design takes a good amount of elements from the concept art, which was also already stated.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Kolgena

If anything, the new Medusa mesh looks a little too high quality (I don't mean too high poly). I felt that the Medusa always had a vibe of a trashed-up, cheap bomber. It looked like a dented tin can, and sure survived like one. The new one looks like something fresh from Triton Dynamics.

(Then again, the Herc I looks substantially cleaner and less Made-in-China with its MVP version, so it might just be my neophobia talking.)

Offline Hades

If anything, the new Medusa mesh looks a little too high quality (I don't mean too high poly). I felt that the Medusa always had a vibe of a trashed-up, cheap bomber. It looked like a dented tin can, and sure survived like one. The new one looks like something fresh from Triton Dynamics.
Considering the Medusa was designed and entered active service around mid-great war...

Also
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
All right, reviewing the above comparisons, the current HTL is ****. I'd slightly rather have something done from scratch, but I don't think this is a bad use of time at all.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I suppose weathering etc is a job for the texture, not the model itself.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns