Author Topic: [WIP] GTD Nuadha  (Read 35167 times)

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Tbh I've never even heard of the Agressor until today, the similarities are... disturbing. I will change somethings.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Got to agree with Bet, the previous shape was fresh and somewhat innovative.
You could actually think about giving particular roles/special abilities to the previous model, now I can just think about giving it a regular carrier/destroyed role.
el hombre vicio...

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
Hmm. I just suck at modelling capships I suppose. I like my old model as well but it looks like a cheap attempt if anything. I could try to redo it but don't expect much.
I would like to know what technique people use to get the basic shape started because right now mine seems to weird to be used on a capship. Currently, I start with a basic block and do loop subdivide in spots that are important connection points or are getting extruded. The current p3d is the best attempt using that.

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Maybe you could go for a mix between the unusual original design and the generic-looking current one; preserve some of the "space gun" feel of the old one, while keeping the overall design somewhat closer to regular GTVA capship aesthetics.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
It's a possibility.

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
Here is a mixture between the old and new.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 01:08:11 am by DahBlount »

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Personally, I approve of this direction.  :yes:
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Nice. The big spinal-cannon layout isn't even necessary now.

Hm, I wonder how it would look if you "Hecate-itized" it with a double-bridge and added the blocks around the "wings" as detail...
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
If I did that, it would be getting to look something like a Raynor/Hecate mix with some personal flare, which may be a good thing, I'll get right on that.

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline Husker

I like the double bridge idea, but don't make it as loud as the Hecate bridge. Less Hecate-y more Venator star destroyer bridge, just shorter. A lot shorter. No higher than the current Raynor design's bridge. But it's only my opinion, and until I can model like Aesaar, or Steve-O, or Oddgrim, or any of those great modelers, my opinion ain't worth a dog's former lunch. It's your model, do with it as you please.

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
May I point something out? The 'wings' can be really used to enhance the 'aggressive' feel of the ship. Currently, they are rather static, absolutely horizontal as they are.

Tilt' em down, by about 20 degrees. This will really change the image of the ship

Flipping them back to front, with the wide end forward and the thin end back would probably add a feel of 'speed' to the ship as well. Not that sure about that - try it and see what works.

Just my 2 cents, since you've been asking about ideas.
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
Enioch, I like your idea, p3d updated.

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
Better, if may say so myself.
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Concept looks good.

However, its creating some smoothing/lighting errors the way you did it. Might just be p3d, but if it isn't it's definitely a major problem.
On closer inspection, same thing seems to be happening with the tail. I would recommend making them entirely separate objects just sitting on the hull rather than trying to have them joined in, since there is absolutely no reason to "boolean" all the parts together like that for a manifold mesh - FSO does not require it at all, and you can save polies and reduce the potential for lighting/smoothing error.

This sort of "bad boolean" technique (I know it might not be a boolean) is what causes much of the lighting/smoothing errors on many models - for example, the very fist iteration of the FD Vexor. I cannot advise against it enough.

(image shamelessly stolen from FSF's shipbuilding tutorial)
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
The warping isn't noticeable in Blender. I will work on making the mesh better though to avoid any future problems.

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
Your ship is not symmetrical... why aren't you using a mirror modifier? It'll decrease your work twofold  :p.

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
I am using a mirror modifier...

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
Then there's something wierd going on in p3d, because when looking at the mesh it clearly isn't... maybe it's just an triangulation or exporting thing. Back to the model, I really like the doubled bridge. Gives the ship an even more distinctive look.

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
Okay. I'm going to start making the model more complex because I want it to look more like an HTL model than a 10 year olds work.

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline Husker

I like it quite a bit. It's very good.