Author Topic: What are the system requirements for all the bells and whistles?  (Read 1830 times)

What are the system requirements for all the bells and whistles?
    Hey guys, great work on the project. I played both FS and FS2 when it came out and have really waited for a new space sim that was anywhere near as good, of course we all know how that has worked. I came across FSO and got all the stuff and I am in the process of installing it so me and my son can play it. I got him to play the old Tie Fighter game and he loved it.
   I do have one question, what would you guys recommend for system requirements if you wanted to run this with all the bells and whistles, everything as pretty as I can make it. My computer isn't the newest one ever and I did some searching on the forums but haven't really found a solid answer yet.

MY computer stats:

Intel Pentium D 940 processor

* 3.2 GHz dual core processor
    * 800 FSB
    * 2 × 2 MB L2 cache

2 gigs DDR2 (PC2-4200) memory

ATI HD 3650 512MB DDR2

Windows XP media center edition

I would think this would still be sufficient but not knowing how much you actually retooled everything yet I'm not sure. Thanks in advance.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: What are the system requirements for all the bells and whistles?
That should be plenty to use all the latest and greatest assets.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
That should eat up everything short of some of War in Heaven's more crazy missions just fine.

Thanks guys, again... great job on the mods. Something ya might wanna think about when a new build or mod comes out is putting some suggested requirements on the info if anything has changed much to make it a bit easier for newer people. Although if my computer will run it then most people who game much should not have a problem. cheers

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
So the tremendous lag I experienced in some parts of Delenta Est are just engine limitation related right?

FYI I'm running on a X2 4200+, GTX260 and 3GB DDR800.
el hombre vicio...

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
So the tremendous lag I experienced in some parts of Delenta Est are just engine limitation related right?

Actually, it's the Karunas. They're protesting your piloting skills by lagging the game.

(Or they're badly unoptimized in the texture department.)
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

FYI I'm running on a X2 4200+, GTX260 and 3GB DDR800.

Nope, like NGT said it's really badly optimized models with atrocious texture counts and without LODs.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Call me crazy, but the laggin' comes in when the flak explotions occur in massive quantities.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Kolgena

It might be the Karunas pushing your frames to 30-40, which is the boundary for "just barely fluid" (at least for me), so a bit of extra stress from particles might push you into "weeelag" territory.

You could run the Game-Booster program while playing that mission, see if that helps.

http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

I wouldn't necessarily recommend the other stuff IOrbit offers. Not because they're bad (I've had good experience with them), but just because anything with a registry fix software mixed with my natural curiosity messes up my computer :/

Offline Kolgena

In my experience, Gamebooster does nothing for your system if you keep it reasonably lightweight all the time anyways. It's doubtful that it'd help a CPU/GPU chug through several Karunas on screen at once.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
what does this game booster do anyways?

I would not add programs to my cpu to process while playing, that's not going to make your gaming experience smoother.... hell! what kind of logic do you find in that?
It's like saying you've got a horse pulling from a carriage with one driver and you add a second driver so you keep the horse running faster???.

is it called "driver"?
el hombre vicio...

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Well presumably it closes the throttle on some of the other memory hogs (like FF3 without some of the memory addons or an antivirus program that insists on doing crap in the background) in favor of a single process (in this case, the FS executable). Like Kolgena said, it won't do anything if you don't have these memory hogs in the first place.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions