Author Topic: A celebration of Freespace  (Read 2675296 times)

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Re: A celebration of FreeSpace
The frigate controlling thing looks nice. Flyable capships that are actually fun? I've got to try that.

And wouldn't setting part of INFASA in Delta Serpentis completely **** up FS canon?
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Online Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
No because that screenshot has nothing to do with the main INFASA campaign (which, as you probably know, takes place in Sol.) ;)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Neato, looks like WiH will be a blast to play.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I should add that what you are looking at is some preliminary R&D work for WiH R2.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Well, that is a full-featured, complete (more or less) mission right there, not just a testing sandbox.

You could play it right now. It's just not quite as awesome as we want it to be. (Though all the major capship control problems of the past have been solved.)

I'm thinking mini-campaign.  :nervous:

And I again want to draw attention to the hilarity involved in mission objectives that involve moving Arcadias around by pushing.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Well, that is a full-featured, complete (more or less) mission right there, not just a testing sandbox.

You could play it right now. It's just not quite as awesome as we want it to be. (Though all the major capship control problems of the past have been solved.)

You know, at the very least, you could do the community a favor by post the bare-bones bits of the mission with all the names ripped out or the like, just the scripting necessary for correct control.

...when that stuff hits the regular releases.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

You know, at the very least, you could do the community a favor by post the bare-bones bits of the mission with all the names ripped out or the like, just the scripting necessary for correct control.

We are absolutely planning to do that. We've already posted most of our custom scripts for effects like beam piercing and debris fire. I'd be happy to put the FRED-side stuff up as well, once we're sure it's all done.

The FRED-side tactical menus should be totally modular. The scripts, however...well a number of them work very specifically for this mission, using only a Karuna; it would be easy but not totally non-trivial to adapt them to other missions (i.e. we could do internally in five minutes, but the average end-user couldn't) and also easy but even less trivial to adapt them to other ships. They could be adapted, but probably only by somebody with scripting expertise.

...when that stuff hits the regular releases.

All the scripting in this mission can be done on existing builds, I believe. The one feature that couldn't be done now is the removal of the red damage flash on big ships, which for the moment is BP custom.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 04:00:43 pm by General Battuta »

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils

UNCE UNCE UNCE UNCE.

The hull integrity of the ships go down pretty quick for all Standard Flak.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
This cap ship stuff looks freaking sick, and the Hatshepsut is godly.  Good job FreeSpace dudes!

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?

You say that like we haven't already done it several times.  :)

We are absolutely planning to do that. We've already posted most of our custom scripts for effects like beam piercing and debris fire. I'd be happy to put the FRED-side stuff up as well, once we're sure it's all done.

The FRED-side tactical menus should be totally modular. The scripts, however...well a number of them work very specifically for this mission, using only a Karuna; it would be easy but not totally non-trivial to adapt them to other missions (i.e. we could do internally in five minutes, but the average end-user couldn't) and also easy but even less trivial to adapt them to other ships. They could be adapted, but probably only by somebody with scripting expertise.

Well, as long as there's documentation I'm fairly certain people can figure it out, with varying amounts of help. :P
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Definitely.

Online Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
OMFG. I neglect this thread for one frakking day and the kind of stuff that shows up in my absence...

brb need different pants

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
So I'm noticing how much this...

Looks like this:

:drevil:

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Nowhere near as bad as the screenshot of an Aten looking like oil on the sidewalk.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I dunno, the Orion looks weird to me.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Droid's Dark Orion textures with some textures taken from DoS.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Oh wait, that's TrashMan's Orion. Now I get why it looked weird...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

Don't post the code. Write a mission dissection tutorial like Cetanu and I did. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Speaking of Cetanu, where is he? I see his name engraved on nearly every multiplayer mission (along with Su-Tehp).
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?