Author Topic: A celebration of Freespace  (Read 2675385 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: A celebration of FreeSpace
Fixed, thanks Chief!

Thx for the update Battuta and Chief, i will make some more in the future.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Twist of Fate--now with 3.6.12/Fury AI* goodness!

* To compensate for the lack of shields, the AI in the early missions has a high enough aim update delay that their accuracy is greatly reduced. You still get the crazy dogfight maneuvers though.

And before anyone asks, because it's been asked before, the "beam" in the first screenshot is a cutting laser used to chop and slice asteroids, and can be used to chop and slice Zods in a pinch. It doesn't do much damage though.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 01:47:03 am by Woolie Wool »
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Hey, the Baranec doesn't look half bad with new maps. :yes:

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Crossposting because I think WolfMaverick deserves it:

What is your setting ? The sun il all white bacause of the bloom setting but despite having decresing the value to 1, I don't have the same sun as you have in that screenshot.
Take a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5DNYXG5Qw0

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
You will never get to see that sun in the mission, since the one we have in-game looks a bit worse than that. That said, I think you overdid the bloom setting on your end.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
WolfMaverick also used photoshop on that image, IIRC.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Yeah that's not in-game... although it does indeed look like it was based on the ingame Karuna from that sequence, judging by the glow around the edges of the ship.

Also, his WiH-intro image is edited to remove the dialog at the top; you can see tell this by looking where it covered up the beams.

@MetalDestroyer
The sun is photoshop but i'm really happy you like it.

Offline Kolgena

Reminds me of Capella Supernova, somehow. Maybe it's the awkward angle of the Karuna against the background of a ginormous star (in appearance) star.

Excuse me if my first post on the forum isn't in the appropriate thread, but I though the title was fitting -

it's been quite some time (a few years) since I've played the good old FreeSpace II; I remember early builds of the Open Source Code, back when I had a PC that couldn't run it. Over the years I've come across mods and campaigns for FSII on ModDB, but I've really had no idea just how the Open project has gone. And as luck would have it, I decided to play an old classic (instead of buying a new game), I picked FSII, and I decided to check if there's anything new worth the hassle of an installation. Oh, what a suprise!...

Open Source and all mods and campaigns based on it have turned FSII into a monster of a sim, and I mean that in an utmost good sense! The sheer scale of new things is just mind-boggling... I could play for months and not run out of content, and I'm a pure solo campaign player.

My utmost respect for all of you here, folks! And to the guys at Volition! You should be an inspiration to developers out there, just as you are to players and modders, I'm sure! Fantastic job, really!

Eh, sorry if I bothered anyone with that long post. But I rally had to express my admiration for this site and all the people behind it. :)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Excuse me if my first post on the forum isn't in the appropriate thread, but I though the title was fitting -

it's been quite some time (a few years) since I've played the good old FreeSpace II; I remember early builds of the Open Source Code, back when I had a PC that couldn't run it. Over the years I've come across mods and campaigns for FSII on ModDB, but I've really had no idea just how the Open project has gone. And as luck would have it, I decided to play an old classic (instead of buying a new game), I picked FSII, and I decided to check if there's anything new worth the hassle of an installation. Oh, what a suprise!...

Open Source and all mods and campaigns based on it have turned FSII into a monster of a sim, and I mean that in an utmost good sense! The sheer scale of new things is just mind-boggling... I could play for months and not run out of content, and I'm a pure solo campaign player.

My utmost respect for all of you here, folks! And to the guys at Volition! You should be an inspiration to developers out there, just as you are to players and modders, I'm sure! Fantastic job, really!

Eh, sorry if I bothered anyone with that long post. But I rally had to express my admiration for this site and all the people behind it. :)

:welcome:

Always nice to see new faces :)
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Firartix

• Random Noob
Except those:  :hopping: :mad: :mad2:

Anyway, WELCUM TU THE BOARD too (i can't do any cool image like that, neither can i alot)

And i guess this was the perfect thread, because everybody read it D:
And it's not like there was any shiny screeny in some time.... We wantz mur !

To stay offtopic, why is the background of the welcome image a beam ?

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Well, we're a FreeSpace board. :P

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It does, in fact, look half bad.  Because the asteroid parts have new maps but the girder parts look the same as before. :p

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Ooh, the Ticos are yellow now. :D

Yes I just now got to see them, ****ing connection speeds.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
It does, in fact, look half bad.  Because the asteroid parts have new maps but the girder parts look the same as before. :p

Wha 'choo talkin' bout, Willis? I used mediavp maps on all of the superstructure except for the solar panels. It's only one quarter bad. :P

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
o rly?  This image looks like it has classic-style girder textures.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Look at the very back. Normal maps are on at least those.

Although I do say needs moar dakka polies

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
PVCa Udjat, resmoothed to look much better by Droid803:

--General Battuta