Author Topic: A celebration of Freespace  (Read 2675411 times)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Re: A celebration of Freespace
So you're postulating repulsolift type technology in FS? Admittedlym that makes sense given what (little) we've seen of atmospheric flight.

That's not a canonical piece of the story yet, but yeah, if necessary we'll do that. It seems pretty reasonable.

Im sure i read somewhere that in FS both Terran and Vasudans have a fairly good grasp of gravity/anti-gravity technology
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline SF-Junky

• Bread can mold, what can you do?
I didn't really like the music and the new "you have a missile on your ass" sound, but apart from that this is as amazing as always.

Offline Darius

If GTVA ships have artificial gravity inside, would it be logical to follow that they're able to manipulate gravity outside the ship?

Offline m!m

Nope. And in fact for the moment gravity only works on dead and (if we get a feature added) dying ships.
Well, that can be done very fast... ;)

Offline Kolgena

If GTVA ships have artificial gravity inside, would it be logical to follow that they're able to manipulate gravity outside the ship?

Depends on how well they're able to manipulate the mass effect envelopes.

I think technology that manipulates a planets magnetic field is a better candidate. If they have figured out how to change energy into gravitons it would allow for gravity onboard ships. You could have gravity on by degrees or off. Gravity as a repulsive force was only a feature of the very early universe and simulating the Big Bang every time you want to do something as mundane as fly a spacecraft seems really dangerous to me.
Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

I think technology that manipulates a planets magnetic field is a better candidate. If they have figured out how to change energy into gravitons it would allow for gravity onboard ships. You could have gravity on by degrees or off. Gravity as a repulsive force was only a feature of the very early universe and simulating the Big Bang every time you want to do something as mundane as fly a spacecraft seems really dangerous to me.

You're gonna have trouble hovering on Mars with that technology.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
On Earth too, it's magnetic field is really weak.
Mars, IIRC, has none.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
That video is awesome. Loved the skybox and the city especially (even if they did look a little nasty).

Offline Lucika

• Victim of trolling-related humor
  • Modding is l'art pour l'art
    • Syrk: The Unification Wars
Nope. And in fact for the moment gravity only works on dead and (if we get a feature added) dying ships.
Other than that, does the flag work fine?
HLP member 2008-2012 and Syrk:TUW project leader ~2010-2012

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

The flag doesn't work at all, unless you're also using the script.

It works fine on dead and (if we get a feature added) dying ships. It works fine on normal ships too, the AI just has no idea how to handle it.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic

The flag, on it's own, does nothing (for now). All of the gravity effects (such as falling debris) comes from scripting.

It's theoretically possible to script gravity that affects live ships (or any other object) but the "regular" damping physics makes it an exercise in frustration trying to get it to work well (acceleration from gravity ends up getting damped).

What do you mean, it works fine on normal ships? :) Show me the script variant that does it! I've sunk too much of my own time into trying to script reasonable gravity on live ships...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Everything in the mission with 'affected by gravity' constantly drops when using this script. It's just the public one m!m posted.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
It works fine on dead and (if we get a feature added) dying ships. It works fine on normal ships too, the AI just has no idea how to handle it.

You mean the AI doesn't know how to counteract gravity?
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
On Earth too, it's magnetic field is really weak.
Mars, IIRC, has none.

To my understanding, Mars does not have an active core - it's kind of... dead in a sense. Thus, this is the reason it does not have a very coherent magnetic field. But, it does have magnetic fields, they're just patchy, and as you said, weak.

Battuta, here's an interesting idea, though it might be difficult to implement. Could you make the gravity script trigger for a ship that looses its engine subsystem(s)? That might make for a really neat dynamic in the atmosphere - if you can take out his/her engines, they're just as dead as if you beat their hull to pieces.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq

Working high-poly Medusa model in-game, pof is mostly finished, textures aren't finalized and lods/debris aren't done either, but our beautiful Sab0o has that under control!
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!

Offline Kolgena

There's a distinct lack of squadron insignia on the new one.

But who cares. Excellent asset!

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
The canopy could do with a quick color change to match the hull, but still ****ing awesome.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
There's a distinct lack of squadron insignia on the new one.

But who cares. Excellent asset!
I forgot to mention that Sab0o hasn't added it either, it's supposed to go where those white circles on each side are. Those white glowy circles are also where two lights at the front and back of the insignia plate shine onto the insignia (the two boxes). If I can get it working right it'll be awesome.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL