Author Topic: Portal 2  (Read 11137 times)

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
*click click* Uhhh BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM! I'm not defective!
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline blackhole

• Still not over the rainbow
  • Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
Spoiler:
Space? SPACE! SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace...... ..!!!

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Just finished it.

It was a bit slow to start, but really picked up the pace, ending in a blazing inferno of awesome. I'm extremely happy with how it turned out.

I expect my concerns about very inflexible (and often far too easy) test chambers will quickly be resolved as soon as editing tools come out... if Portal 1 is anything to go by, I'll have a hundred more fiendish chambers to solve by this time next year. Looking forward to that.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Didn't really seem as excellent as the first- a lot of the puzzles in the beginning have some pretty obvious railroads, and the gels were interesting but seemed somewhat overused. The humor wasn't at all as subtle, and I'm not actually sure which I prefer in that respect.

Either way, Portal. It's awesome- more so than 99% of the COD clones out there. Well worth the money.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Wasn't a big fan of repulsion gel or speed gel, but I love the possibilities from the conversion gel.

I don't know, the conversion gel made things a bit too easy, IMHO. Just spread it around everywhere and voila!

I did enjoy the part where you send some into a vent and the ventilation system does the rest for you, though. That was amusing.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
The co-op ending opens many interesting opportunities...
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I can't wait to start in on that.  Lousy brother still hasn't had the chance to get around to singleplayer yet, so I'll still be waiting for a little while. :p

Offline Kolgena

I did enjoy the part where you send some into a vent and the ventilation system does the rest for you, though. That was amusing.

wat

I beat the game, and don't recall such awesomeness. All I remember about the conversion gel was tedium as I tried to get it to splash into the right spots.

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
He probably means that one straight up shaft just before you get out of the old section.
You shoot the white gel into a air duct and it splatters all over the walls elseware.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline Kolgena

Oh. That part.

I got the impression that you shot a portal behind a fan or something, and it whipped it all over a room.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I still think the lot of you are crazy. :p

More to the point, I think that a lot of the "but Portal did things this way and I liked that better" nitpicks in something like that interview ignore the fact that most of the original Portal used the exact same elements itself.  I don't know if it's that people are thinking more of the challenge levels when they make the comparisons, but the majority of the original's test chambers had only one possible solution, and it was usually fairly telegraphed in nature.  And the entire second half of the original was one long game of "find the right wall;" I know I can remember getting stuck once or twice on my first playthrough of it because I missed what I was supposed to be shooting at.  (One part right after you break that transport tube with a missile had me fumbling around for a good ten minutes.)  I mean, there are a few statements that you could legitimately make about things that Portal 2 did, but I don't think the dichotomy is nearly as great as a few people have made it out to be.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 12:55:51 pm by Mongoose »

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
RockPaperShotgun echoes all my criticisms!
:rolleyes:

Unbelievable. You, [subject name here], must be the pride of [subject hometown here].

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
RockPaperShotgun echoes all my criticisms!
:rolleyes:

Unbelievable. You, [subject name here], must be the pride of [subject hometown here].

I've said before it's a great game, and frankly most people probably aren't as critical as me, but as a writer and someone involved in design I've got every right to look for what went wrong in a great game. And having the same feelings as some of the most notable, articulate people in the business is a vote of confidence that I'm thinking the right way.

No need to be snippy.

And the entire second half of the original was one long game of "find the right wall;" I know I can remember getting stuck once or twice on my first playthrough of it because I missed what I was supposed to be shooting at.

I agree, I thought the second half of the original sucked for exactly that reason, which is why it was disappointing to see it repeated.

I mean, there are a few statements that you could legitimately make about things that Portal 2 did, but I don't think the dichotomy is nearly as great as a few people have made it out to be.

I don't see how 'it's a great game with a few flaws' equals 'a great dichotomy'. There's no 'Portal 2 sux' crowd here. I said it was a great game. So did that review.

Apparently criticism is unpossible. We must move to the YouTube system for all our thoughts, and simply like something or hate it!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 05:20:26 pm by General Battuta »

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Spoiler:
When I heard Johnson's spiel about white gel being made from crushed up moon rocks, I bemusedly thought to myself "Wouldn't it be funny to shoot a portal on the moon and watch all the air get sucked through it?" But surely the portal gun doesn't have that kind of range. Surely that would be too awesome, too much. So I dismissed those thoughts.

Then I got to the end. :D :D :D

My review: It was a triumph.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something

Spoiler:
When I heard Johnson's spiel about white gel being made from crushed up moon rocks, I bemusedly thought to myself "Wouldn't it be funny to shoot a portal on the moon and watch all the air get sucked through it?" But surely the portal gun doesn't have that kind of range. Surely that would be too awesome, too much. So I dismissed those thoughts.

Then I got to the end. :D :D :D

Spoiler:
Yeah, I actually won that fight by accident. I just saw the moon and I shot at it for no real reason. Kinda like how you shoot at walls randomly when bored/frustrated. Then imagine my surprise when all of a sudden:

I'm in space.

(Why do I get the feeling that the Space Sphere is the new cake?)
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
It gets better actually. You see...
Spoiler:
One of my co-workers had also been playing the game and he beat it a few days before me. So the other day at work I was like "wouldn't it be funny to put a portal on the moon, lawl?" and he was just like "ah yeah, that would be cool..." maintaining a flawless poker-face the whole time :p
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp