Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 581423 times)

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
****! There were two exploding penises in my house! And a spider. Everything is ruined!

EDIT: How'd they get in there, anyway?

EDIT2: I rebuilt my walls. I don't know if my doorstep will ever be right again.

I also keep hearing zombies and spiders. In my house. I don't know where they are. It's like they're inside the ****ing walls!

EDIT3: It's bright daylight outside, and I still hear moaning and spider noises in my house. I don't think any video game has ever made me so... terrified. petrified. mortified. :shaking: Not even L4D

EDIT4: I finally found the zombies. There were two of them. I just kept mining a tunnel in the wall of my house and all of a sudden a gap opened up and there they were. I wonder if I made that hole and forgot to seal it up properly.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 06:13:54 pm by FlamingCobra »

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Try exploring a cave with the soundtrack to Quake 1 playing in the background. It's a truly harrowing experience- you will either emerge from that cave a MAN, or a broken and whimpering shell.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline FlamingCobra

Try exploring a cave with the soundtrack to Quake 1 playing in the background. It's a truly harrowing experience- you will either emerge from that cave a MAN, or a broken and whimpering shell.

I'm inclined to believe I'd be the second one.

BTW, while exploring outside I found some iron ore on the surface. I now have enough to make torso armor.  :drevil:

Should I use my last four bars of iron to make boots, an iron pick, an iron axe, or two swords?

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
Iron pick all the way. Then you can mine diamond!
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline -Sara-

To fight a creeper without bow & arrows.

* Always walk backwards, that way they usually stop exploding so you can hit them again.
* Right click with a sword to block, this stops creeper explosions too.
* Wear armour, in 1.9 which is out soon you can repair armour (and other items).

Alternately, you make a BFG 9000...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 10:05:15 pm by -Sara- »
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I can't wait for that.  It seems really silly that when a tool breaks, you get absolutely nothing in return.  You'd think that you could at least re-use half the handle or something. :p

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
If the foliage is supposed to be vandalism, it's nice vandalism.

And if he only left it at that it might have been ok.

But he/she re-modeld it..from the inside too. walled up passages. Made new ones. Replaced blocks. Put out fires. Moved things around. Broke my windows and replaced them with PINK wool. Put traps inside...etc.

I whiped it back into a half-decent shape...removed the most offending parts. Will leave some of hte green stuff as it's nice.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Explosing penises are fun...

Oh and when Endermen start steling blocks from your house..making openings in your walls and runing your stuff...double the "fun"!

Now I realize why Creepers can't explode and blow stuff up in Qaz's server. I've fended off a few dozen of them the past two days, to think they would have exploded..

Received some more help yesterday and the second part of the tour by Kyad and Trashman, finally got torches thanks to (sorry, I forgot your name!), which is very appreciated.

Raised the external and internal walls and made a little road through my home/fort and around it using cobblestone, could outline future plans but currently meant as a road. Also some very simple towers with torches, probably should make battlements. A secondary wall is meant to block a area where plenty of skeleton bowman spawn, though I should just Torch the whole area. It's all starting to look pretty decent, though plenty more to do.

Tried to get water from a nearby pond/lake to my home but it ends up going too deeply underground to be useful. Perhaps if I lower my living quarters down, hm...

Definitely looking forward to be able to continue building on it - full time job stealing way too much time away from me though. ;)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 04:03:00 am by JCDNWarrior »
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
So today I'm like, "ok. I'm not going in that cave without some armor." So I decided I was going to go outside and slaughter cows until I had enough leather to make a full set of armor. I wait until it is daylight. I open the door....

Next thing I know, BOOM! I get killed by an exploding penis.

After I get all my stuff back I just went in the cave and started mining anyway. I mined 4 blocks of iron ore and a little bit of coal before I got attacked by skeletons. I ran away and lived. What do you guys suggest?

Also, monsters won't spawn if it's bright enough (have a $#!&load of torches) right?

EDIT: I went outside again. I found one cow and killed it. Then it started to rain, so I made my way back home. I come home to find an exploding penis in my house. How do I kill it without ruining everything?

Yeh I had that problem too. So I just set up a trap that floods the area in front of my door when I hit a lever, washing any mobs camping there into a death pit.

On another note....hostile mobs still not spawning properly on qaz's server. I don't really play it much anymore for that reason, still bummed I put so much effort into my trap but it won't work.
When Australia burned.

Together since the world began, the madman and the lover.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
exploding penis

If you disrespect the Creeper, the Creeper will disrespect you. And explode.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
What problem with spawning mobs? I constantly have 20 monsters spawning every night around my cathedral. A friggin invasion.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
If you are donating cobble, dirt or any easily obtainable block and the chests are full, please discard those items instead. Nobody will use 4 chests worth of say, dirt or sandstone.

IMO dirt can be discarded, but sandstone and cobble probably should not. Sandstone is not nearly as common or readily available as dirt, and cobble can be smelted into stone and crafted into stone bricks. You could make a largish separate room with 10-20 chests just for cobble, to keep it out of the way.

Arg I extended my mob trap to 4 stories and it's still not working properly. It pulls in the very occasional pack of mobs but I've still only got 11 bones and 5 string total lol :(

I recommend reading the Mob Spawning page on the Minecraft Wiki if you haven't already. Of particular interest:

In multiplayer, mob caps are shared by all players, no matter where they are. If one player can make a lot of mobs spawn near them, say, with a mob farm, players elsewhere in the world will see fewer mobs of the same category. Likewise, if a player can prevent mobs from spawning near them, perhaps by hanging around a large body of water and illuminating nearby caves, they will effectively dump their mobs on everyone else.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I recommend reading the Mob Spawning page on the Minecraft Wiki if you haven't already. Of particular interest:

In multiplayer, mob caps are shared by all players, no matter where they are. If one player can make a lot of mobs spawn near them, say, with a mob farm, players elsewhere in the world will see fewer mobs of the same category. Likewise, if a player can prevent mobs from spawning near them, perhaps by hanging around a large body of water and illuminating nearby caves, they will effectively dump their mobs on everyone else.

In this instance, the player hogging all the mobs would be Trashman. Which is funny cause he doesn't want any of them.

On another note....hostile mobs still not spawning properly on qaz's server. I don't really play it much anymore for that reason, still bummed I put so much effort into my trap but it won't work.

Go set up housing in Trashman's area, help him defend his home!
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
I also keep hearing zombies and spiders. In my house. I don't know where they are. It's like they're inside the ****ing walls!

They're coming outta the walls. They're coming outta the goddamn walls! Game over man! Game over!
"No"

Offline -Sara-

IMO dirt can be discarded, but sandstone and cobble probably should not. Sandstone is not nearly as common or readily available as dirt, and cobble can be smelted into stone and crafted into stone bricks. You could make a largish separate room with 10-20 chests just for cobble, to keep it out of the way.

I've considered for a while making a big room inside that mountain where surplus goods can be stored and when a chest runs low they can refill said chest. :) I'll work on it today. UPDATE: It's finished, you can find it below the storage lockers through a trapdoor. A sign there mentions it as the STORAGE RESERVE.

But, why cobble? It's infinite. Anyone can make or otherwise google on how to make a cobble generator, not to mention mining quickly fills a whole inventory with cobble. It's a bit of an inconvenience to grind it, but 10-20 chests might be a bit overkill? If huge projects on that scale are started creative often comes to look around the corner anyway, unless it's not a community-based project.

A real handy gimmick will be enchanted picks in 1.9/2.0. Instead of giving cobble, a pickaxe of silk touch will give you a block of stone when mining. Very useful.

As for dirt, it's handy to have one double-chest of dirt, for when you are building something and want to make nice flowing hills with no gaps in it, or to make a little garden or such. Once the chest is full discarding remaining dirt is a good idea, it's not widely used. Sandstone probably won't fill a double-chest anyway given how you don't run into it too often. A double-chest holds (27*2)*64 blocks of sandstone, I doubt it'll ever filled up. ;)

But, I'll set up the reserve, it can come in handy and it gets rid of those ugly chests in the floor in the storehouse.[/quote]
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 02:30:02 pm by -Sara- »

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
You don't want cobble? Then gimme. :P It just might intice me to start/finish another project. :rolleyes:
Else I'll just keep playing World of Tanks...

Offline -Sara-

It's all in the storehouse. :P

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
Early estimates place the number of chunks on the server as over 125000.
Server is now over 32 square kilometres in surface area.
World is over 800MB
more detailed analysis pending.
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline FlamingCobra

I made a bed today so I won't respawn on that island when and if I die. And I found a cave-wanna-be with ****tons of coal.

I mined 9 iron ore out of the cave beneath my house and killed one spider. I shut the door to the cave when I went back home. As I was walking down the hallway a skeleton attacked me. I was so surprised to see him I jumped out of my chair and said "OOOOOOOOOH SHIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTT"