Author Topic: Freespace Upgrade 4.7.x Discussion Thread  (Read 3583 times)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Freespace Upgrade 4.7.x Discussion Thread
Starts here
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Re: Freespace Upgrade 4.7.x Discussion Thread
When attempting to play, I get "no executable was found for this mod."

Additionally, Blue Planet won't start up anymore.  I get "Launch Error with  FSO  Mod "FSO" >= 23.3.0-20231120" wasn't found!"

Offline CT27

Two issues:

1-The announcement thread says version 4.7.1 is out, but the Knossos page for manual links (https://fsnebula.org/mod/MVPS) says the current version is 4.7.0.

2-Also concerning the manual link page for Knossos, usually for the MVPs there are several links for the Command Briefings and Cutscenes but they aren't there.  Will they be added to that page at some point?

Thanks for your work on this.  I'm looking forward to seeing the new Ursa.

Offline Solatar

I absolutely love the new weapon effects, especially the missiles. The Maxim looks pretty slick, too. The new hi-poly models all fit in with the FS aesthetic really, really well. I'm a sucker for FS1 and Reconstruction related stuff, so shooting flashy missiles out of the Athena is cool, and the Anubis is a beautiful target. I appreciate the extra work to include all the new effects for the retail FS1 weapons also, they look awesome. :yes:

I still use the manual links, and it seems like only the newer files are up, though. The (presumably) unchanged ones like the cb anis, advanced, and music and stuff are all missing. The list ends at MV_Effects_3. Since I have a manual install, I just copied over the missing packages from my older mediavps install, but I wasn't sure if I was missing any new stuff or not.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I'm not sure why the manual links aren't showing up on fsnebula, but Daft Mugi's NebWeb has them: http://nebweb.daftmugi.com/mods/MVPS

I've also added the 4.7.1 MVPs to the FSO Installer.

When attempting to play, I get "no executable was found for this mod."

Additionally, Blue Planet won't start up anymore.  I get "Launch Error with  FSO  Mod "FSO" >= 23.3.0-20231120" wasn't found!"

I have the same problem here.
4.6.8 is working perfect.
I also downloaded the fs2_open 23.1.0 and copied the files into the FreeSpace 2 root.

EDIT:

I needed to Install the "MV_Compatibility" module to make it run.

Maybe this will help.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 05:05:37 pm by N3philim87 »

Offline CT27

I'm not sure why the manual links aren't showing up on fsnebula, but Daft Mugi's NebWeb has them: http://nebweb.daftmugi.com/mods/MVPS

I've also added the 4.7.1 MVPs to the FSO Installer.

I played with the latest version of the MVPs from the Installer (listed on the Installer as 4.7.1), but on the mainhall screen it lists them as Freespace Upgrade 4.7.0.  Usually the mainhall just shows a line about what build you're using (I was using official 23.2.1) but now there's a line above that that says what MVPs version one is using).

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I played with the latest version of the MVPs from the Installer (listed on the Installer as 4.7.1), but on the mainhall screen it lists them as Freespace Upgrade 4.7.0.  Usually the mainhall just shows a line about what build you're using (I was using official 23.2.1) but now there's a line above that that says what MVPs version one is using).

The files on the Installer are exactly the same files as on Knossos.  I looked on Knossos and the MediaVPs there also say 4.7.0.  So the uploader neglected to update the main hall line for 4.7.1.

Offline CT27

There's a minor error when playing with the new 4.7.X MVPs.  I encountered this on three different campaigns so far: (Shrouding The Light, The Lightning Marshall campaign series, and FS2 Blue).

What happens is that anytime I'm awarded a medal in debriefing...on the right side of the debriefing screen where it shows the medal you're awarded it always shows what I think is the FS2 SOC medal (a triangle with red, yellow, and blue, and a bird head in the middle).  It shows that even if the caption underneath reads for a different medal.  However, if I click on the link to go to the medal 'case', it shows the correct medals there.

There's a minor error when playing with the new 4.7.X MVPs.  I encountered this on three different campaigns so far: (Shrouding The Light, The Lightning Marshall campaign series, and FS2 Blue).

What happens is that anytime I'm awarded a medal in debriefing...on the right side of the debriefing screen where it shows the medal you're awarded it always shows what I think is the FS2 SOC medal (a triangle with red, yellow, and blue, and a bird head in the middle).  It shows that even if the caption underneath reads for a different medal.  However, if I click on the link to go to the medal 'case', it shows the correct medals there.

I have seen this problem too.  I noticed it on Renegade Resurgence

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This is a code bug that has since been fixed.

Offline CT27

If I'm understanding you right, does that mean this fix will be implemented in 4.7.3?

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
That means that this error has nothing to do with the MediaVPs.

It was an error in the code itself, that is already fixed.

So you simple have to use a newer FSO build.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline CT27

A minor error I noticed in FS2 Blue:

Sometimes in the SOC missions during the briefing...FS1 music plays (not during missions...just in the briefing).

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
FS2 Blue errors should be reported to the Blue Planet team. FSU does not maintain that mod.

I did a fresh install on my sons computer, and I get this error with fsport mediavps after installing 4.7.2

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Been playing with this release for a bit (And cannibalizing some effects to make custom weapons with ;7) and I gotta say, damn. This is some good **** you guys. Love the new weapon effects and pretty space booms, love the new HTL models. Amazing work as always, nerds! :nod:

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Sorry about the double post :bump: but I'm very curious how the new shockwaves and impact effects were rendered! I've been dicking around with Blender trying to make a few myself but the results are ass of course :P

Hi. I am new to this and i have a beginner question.
I am fighting with disk space and i noticed that Knossos stores multiple versions of the MediaVPS packages.
I couldn't find any option in Knossos to automatically delete no longer needed files so i am asking:
Is it fine to just manually delete the older MVPS folders, or are they still needed for something?