Author Topic: New theme issues  (Read 247905 times)

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Hey, it's starting to look more Web 2.0! I like it now better than before. The "FreeSpace Network Menu" is now much more useful since I don't have to scroll all the way up to create a new tab for the Wiki page. I have a slight issue with the forum nav bar tabs (Home, Help, Search, Profile, etc.) being a bit tall. But everything else is superb and modern.

Thanks for being so quick with the updates. I eagerly await the whiteness to fix itself both on the text boxes and the FreeSpace Network Tab.

Image for reference: http://imagebin.org/235018

e: Oh wow. You guys already made it thinner. Just the whiteness, then! And it'd be nice to have the Search Bar on the right side just because other places do so and following convention is ergonomical. :)

e: You guys are awesome.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Because I have to be That Guy, I actually think that freespace Network thing is taking up a lot of valuable screen space.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
Because I have to be That Guy, I actually think that freespace Network thing is taking up a lot of valuable screen space.
i agree with this. if it was an "auto-hide" style thing when you mouseovered on the upper part of the screen, i'd be happy.
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
In case people are curious, what I've been doing was removing our reliance on some old scripts that may have had vulnerabilities, and converting the site's layout over to something more reliable. Right now I'm doing macro stuff. Later I might start on the micro (white text boxes, etc), but no guarantees.

EDIT: the nav bar will likely remain as-is for the forseeable future. What puny screen resolutions are you browsing in?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
1920*1080 ?

If you could just reduce the font size that would go a long way I believe.

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
It's looking good, I'll agree that the web 2.0 looks give it a sense of modernity which I'm totally digging.
Are you getting rid of scriptaculous as well?

res:

work: 1280x1024
home: 1680x1050
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 12:36:48 pm by Rodo »
el hombre vicio...

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I hope the Kick Ass button remains... <3
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
1280x1024 here
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
1920*1080 ?

If you could just reduce the font size that would go a long way I believe.

this. I really like the idea of the nav bar but I just think it's a tad bigger than it needs to be

edit: also am I the only one getting white bars next to quotes? it seems pretty out of place.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
White bars I classify as micro - I'll get to them later.

I'm experimenting with something here; restricted forum width... basically, restricting the width of the posts (not the header/footer). Seems to me that lines of text can get ridiculously unreadably long at 1920, so this may help with that. I'm not sold on it, however, so let me know what y'all think.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Hmm, it feels a little awkward this way. I can't put my finger on it. Of course, I'm not using a 1920 monitor, so I don't know about the other problem.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
White bars on quotes fixed btw, since it was easy-peasy. :p

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
According to Avira, the problem is in a Javascript asset called sleight.js

The name of the script does not inspire confidence :nervous:

Path?

Sorry for the delay, Avira has a terrible GUI...

hard-light.net/assets/js/sleight.js

Claims it's 'infected HTML', but can't get more details because the aforesaid GUI won't even allow the whole name of the reported virus to fit into the window... :/

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
That is a lot of blank space with the current fixed width...

EDIT : might be better to have fixed-width margins on the sides than fixed-widths posts. Would scale better with large resolutions. My 2 cents.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 01:25:41 pm by MatthTheGeek »

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I think I could get used to the fixed width but the footer below the main thread body still looks a little wonky. (WIP I'm assuming)

Also thank you for fixing the quotes, Sandwich. :3

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
While the modern Web 2.0 look is awesome, I'd like to point out one thing. Could you have a slight delay for the FreeSpace Network menus to open/expand? Because every time you move the cursor down after opening a new tab it mostly passes over some or the other menu (mostly Hosted Projects for me) and that flash of white light....it burns...
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Sorry for the delay, Avira has a terrible GUI...

hard-light.net/assets/js/sleight.js

Claims it's 'infected HTML', but can't get more details because the aforesaid GUI won't even allow the whole name of the reported virus to fit into the window... :/

Thanks, that helped a ton. All malware I'm aware of is now gone.

That is a lot of blank space with the current fixed width...

EDIT : might be better to have fixed-width margins on the sides than fixed-widths posts. Would scale better with large resolutions. My 2 cents.

The point is not to "utilize" the entire width at the expense of readability. ;) If the space bothers you, have you considered having a couple of windows open side-by-side?

FWIW, there should be a larger width the forums should be scaling to on large monitors, but it's not working for some reason. Low-priority ATM.

I think I could get used to the fixed width but the footer below the main thread body still looks a little wonky. (WIP I'm assuming)

Which part, and what is "wonky" exactly? :p

While the modern Web 2.0 look is awesome, I'd like to point out one thing. Could you have a slight delay for the FreeSpace Network menus to open/expand? Because every time you move the cursor down after opening a new tab it mostly passes over some or the other menu (mostly Hosted Projects for me) and that flash of white light....it burns...

Yeah, I'm considering switching it over to a click-to-open system; the main issue being that the top-level nav items are links themselves, so click-to-open would prevent them from working as links. It's just a matter of rethinking those nav items, though.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Also, mouseover menus should increasingly be phased out due to mobile browsing.. tablets/phones/etc.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Indeed. The switchover is made. The on-hover menus are now on-click.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
The point is not to "utilize" the entire width at the expense of readability. ;) If the space bothers you, have you considered having a couple of windows open side-by-side?

FWIW, there should be a larger width the forums should be scaling to on large monitors, but it's not working for some reason. Low-priority ATM.
Look for me on Gamewarden. I've had it with this "new and improved" look. It just keeps getting worse. Why couldn't we stay with the good, old interface?