Author Topic: Lighting test for WiH  (Read 50139 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Rule of perception. If you can trick the brain into filling in details you can't give for whatever reason, that's good enough.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
except bloom is a good* effect.  film grain makes it look like **** to cover up how it looks like ****.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Opinions for everyone! \o/

Offline docfu

I think you made a misspelling there. I think you meant "options"...

Offline Kolgena

Rule of perception. If you can trick the brain into filling in details you can't give for whatever reason, that's good enough.

I just thought of how this is like softcore vs hardco--

nevermind

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.

No.  Saying you think film grain is a ****ty effect is an opinion (which, you didn't, but Klaustrophobia did).  I, personally, disagree with it.

Similarly, saying bloom is a good effect is also opinion.  Wouldn't take long to find someone here that hates it with a passion.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
But options could fit in that sentence as well, since you'd have choices to what you want to use.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

No.  Saying you think film grain is a ****ty effect is an opinion (which, you didn't, but Klaustrophobia did).  I, personally, disagree with it.

Similarly, saying bloom is a good effect is also opinion.  Wouldn't take long to find someone here that hates it with a passion.

Don't think it's a native speaker, so go easy.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!

And I think I heard the "whoosh" as docfu's point sailed right over your head. Effects in FSO are optional; if someone doesn't like an effect, they can turn it off in the launcher. Which is why arguing about them is completely pointless.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Yeah, except that what he thought I meant wasn't what I meant.  There was no point to go "whoosh."  I'm fully aware that they're all optional, but saying "<x> is ****ty" is still only an opinion.

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
FILM GRAIN FOREVER!!!!!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Specularity ftw! Me wants the shiny shiny!

Quick question: is there anyway to use these settings without using the mod?  I like the pretty backgrounds of WiH, but I'm playing through FS2 for the first time and was enjoying the default FS2 main hall.  When I select this mod, everything becomes WiHerized.

But these settings are very cool by the way.  I enjoy subtle.

Offline -Norbert-

Just delete the "BluePlanet2,BluePlanet," part out of the mod.inis secondary list line, leaving only "MediaVPs3612" (or insert any mod you like in front of the mediavps).
The better solution would be to first copy the whole folder, rename it to something else and then do the mod.ini editing in the new folder, to make sure you still have the original in case you mess something up by mistake.

Offline docfu

And I think I heard the "whoosh" as docfu's point sailed right over your head. Effects in FSO are optional; if someone doesn't like an effect, they can turn it off in the launcher. Which is why arguing about them is completely pointless.

Naw, Scotty is right. I shouldn't have made an inside joke against someone who doesn't know me.

That aside, I think there should be a separate panel in the options for post processing effects. While it would seem "the correct way" that individual mods turn on post processing effects as needed, it would be nice to stack up post processing effects right from inside the launcher. Turning on and off effects with sliders to get the whole game looking the way you want it.

I realize that to the newer generation of hi-definition gamers, anything that reduces resolution and clarity would probably seem to detract from the game, but if there is one thing that games need to look realistic its fluidity of motion and the appearance of a constantly changing environment. Space is obviously a "low light" situation most of the time (depending on your distance from the sun.) and anyone who has done true photography knows that filming in the dark is a next to impossible task due to the lack of contrast.

Some night shots you see in movies and tv are actually filmed during the day and then made darker using post processing later. This is simply because daytime lighting provides a higher contrast to work with and to make it dark all they have to do is tone it down a little.

Personally, while every ship in freespace "has" a cockpit in it, I've never felt like I've been in ship in this game. Maybe it's because every HUD is exactly the same, there is no internal cockpit drawn, and the perspective of the display window seems a little ackward. In this game I've always felt like I WAS the ship, rather than riding in one. (Until I played beyond the red line but that's another story.)

These post processing filters help to break that mold. It's easier to believe I'm lining enemy ships up on a big display in the cockpit rather than looking out a window at them. I also grew up in the era of crappy analog electronics and bad wiring so a little flicker just makes it that much more realistic.

Besides. I'd prefer film grain for a post processing effect over "dead pixels" any day...

And on a last note, I'd like to say these run fine on my Nvidia 8400GS. I seriously thought I was gonna have to upgrade my card to get any kind of a decent framerate but it runs mostly smooth in the game.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Hella good post.

Offline docfu

I just spent 30 minutes playing with Distort, recommend 0.001 for any kind of playability in the game.

One thing I just noticed, these post processing effects are not applied over the HUD, nor are they applied over the menus. This breaks the continuity of the game.

I also noticed that reducing saturation to zero does not effect the ship targeting display(bottom left) or the colors of the hud.

Could this be an option in the future to have continual post processing effects in both menus and over the hud?

Offline Kolgena

More on the film-grain:

Have you ever noticed when you close your eyes, you can kind of see a noise pattern? In low light conditions, this same noise pattern can be seen as a sort of overlay. You really need to be looking for it though, since your brain's good at getting rid of its perception. (Actually, you can even force yourself to see the noise in bright lighting conditions if I'm looking at a pretty big expanse of one color.)

While this noise is really hard to describe, it's pretty close to a film grain. It's closer to the pin-prickle tactile "noise" pattern you feel when a limb is recovering from "falling asleep". You can use this to justify why there's slight film grain in your vision. What doesn't quite work here is that the grain is more noticeable on brighter objects, rather than the other way around.

Offline NFSRacer

• Professional aircraft crasher!
    • Steam
Actually, have you ever played a game like Left 4 Dead with the film grain for about an hour, then shut it off?  As it turns out (and I'm repeating myself a bit), the film grain shaves off about two to three frames in most games.  I have yet to try it on FSO, but that's just fact.  Nevertheless, it does add a nice extra bit of quality, that's for sure.  A bit of a gritty feel to the game (then again, WiH had that to begin with! :D).
"Said 'It was up to us.  Up to us, to decide.  You've become a virus that eating up it host.  We've been watching you with all our eye, and what you seem to value most.  'So much potential'.  Or so we used to say.  Your greed, self-importance, and your arrogance, you p*** it all away.'" - NIN from Year Zero

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Adding film grain in FSO give something very unique and pretty bad ass (or not for others). If you add also some desaturation to it, well, you'll get something AWESOME.
Normally, I hate film grain, but in some games, it give more depth. I don't know how to describe but it's so ****ing awesome. :)