Poll

Scale the mainhall interface by default yes or no?

I prefer the interface scaled up to my chosen resolution (old)
I prefer the interface to be in 4:3 (new)
I don't give a ****/snuffleupagus

Author Topic: To stretch or not to stretch  (Read 11522 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
To stretch or not to stretch
Since there has been a start of a small discussion on the subject here: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=87500.msg1747414#msg1747414

I figured we should have an poll on this and let democracy run its course.
Opinions

Currently with the 3.7.2 RC, the mainhall does not scale by default like it used to and scaling has to be enabled manually in the launcher.

For those who are unaware on what is being voted on, here's screenies:

Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
Re: To stretch or not to stretch
I prefer 4:3 for the sharpness.

:P So you finally joined the cult of Snuffy?
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Or a mod added it :p
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Luis Dias

Be aware folks the poll is not about what it will always look like, it's about the DEFAULT and that you can modify in the launcher!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I prefer 4:3 for the sharpness.

:P So you finally joined the cult of Snuffy?
No, but I added it to avoid a riot!

Be aware folks the poll is not about what it will always look like, it's about the DEFAULT and that you can modify in the launcher!
You're not adding anything that isn't already in the OP
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 07:26:25 pm by Spoon »
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
1. I fear change.
2. Pillarboxing a lovely golden rectangle-ish screen down to 4:3 is a sin against nature.
3. Even Sesame Street has moved to widescreen so Snuffy votes should probably count as no pillarbox votes too.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
You realize that the menu's native resolution is (currently) 4:3, and thus the stretching is actually the "change," right? :p

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
If there was some sort of auto-artwork that could be added (or defined by a modder) to fill the black pillar-boxes in 4:3 mode, would that change anyone's opinion?
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=87253.msg1743049#msg1743049

Also consider the patch that Yarn created which would allow modders to specify real 16:9 (etc) mainhalls, would that address any of the concerns here?
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=87253.msg1743626#msg1743626
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
If there was some sort of auto-artwork that could be added (or defined by a modder) to fill the black pillar-boxes in 4:3 mode, would that change anyone's opinion?
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=87253.msg1743049#msg1743049

It would change my opinion from 'this is bad' to 'AGH GOD NOOOO'

And yeah it'd be great to have mainhalls for every aspect.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
You realize that the menu's native resolution is (currently) 4:3, and thus the stretching is actually the "change," right? :p

to quote some guy who writes stuff:
<lurkttuta> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McAeQiLmEYU&noredirect=1

(this was actually in response to "fs1 > fs2" but it's totes apropos)

The FS interface has never, ever included pillarboxing. It has always displayed the interface to fit the screen, whether that entailed stretching the interface itself or just running in 1024x768 (and thus stretching the interface for anything != 4:3). Stretching = retail

Yeah I know I can change it, I'm just whining because I'm a grumpy old codger.

Also I'm with battuta on the topic of sticking crap in the black boxes. That has never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, looked anything but terrible.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 11:44:41 pm by Shivan Hunter »

Offline Yarn

The FS interface has never, ever included pillarboxing. It has always displayed the interface to fit the screen, whether that entailed stretching the interface itself or just running in 1024x768 (and thus stretching the interface for anything != 4:3). Stretching = retail
Retail could run in only two resolutions: 640x480 and 1024x768. Both of those are 4:3. This means that the game was completely unable to run in non-4:3 resolutions. When running retail FS2, any stretching or pillarboxing that happens in non-4:3 resolutions is done by the scaler in the video card or the monitor, not the game. Thus, the statement "stretching = retail" is simply incorrect (as is "pillarboxing = retail").
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
In my opinion, pillarboxing is the correct solution, since it displays the art as it was intended by the artist. In addition, as resolutions get higher, stretching the interface becomes ever more cumbersome, with it reaching ridiculous levels once you get to multiscreen setups.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Fun fact: It's actually doing a slight letterboxing on my screen :P

Offline Luis Dias

While filling the pillarboxes with "stuff" is terrible (I agree), I think adding a few lines of information about the build, mod, some spec or other in the lower left corner with the right font style and size would do wonders to the "pillarboxed" version.

In my opinion, pillarboxing is the correct solution, since it displays the art as it was intended by the artist. In addition, as resolutions get higher, stretching the interface becomes ever more cumbersome, with it reaching ridiculous levels once you get to multiscreen setups.

100 % agreed.

Stretching is a way to distort the original content. This pillarboxing is an ESSENTIAL feature that IMHO should have been implemented 7 years ago when widescreen monitors started to get more common. The only thing that it does is that it MAINTAINS the original mainhall visuality of the FS2 retail game. Not only are the random people in the mainhall shown correctly, but the ALL the text is also easier to read and they look overall nicer than those horrible stretched bitmap -characters.

Besides, if I play FS2 retail, there ARE black pillars already on each side, because my GPU settings always maintain the correct aspect ratio. Of course, the downside of FS2 retail is that it doesn't allow 16:9 resolutions (at least not without hacks) in-missions.

The good thing about the current FSO build is of course that it allows to dynamically switch to a horizontally expanding in-game view, once the mission starts.

Besides, soon the gates are open for genuine 16:9 mainhalls and such.

Offline Luis Dias

There's also another point that I think nullifies Battuta's take on this, you know, all the stuff about "omg these pillarboxes give me the horror sensation that I'm playing a 90s game" which is the simple fact that this *is* a 90s game, and everyone who is buying it in GOG and (eventually) on STEAM aren't exactly fooled into thinking they are buying a 2014 game or whatever.

My biggest concern isn't with the mediavps behavior of the main campaign and all the mods that use the main menu as is without changes. My main concern is with those mods that were built and designed with the stretching in mind from the start. I know the developing of the new system will eventually render this moot, but until then shouldn't the mods themselves be allowed to override this flag?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
While filling the pillarboxes with "stuff" is terrible (I agree), I think adding a few lines of information about the build, mod, some spec or other in the lower left corner with the right font style and size would do wonders to the "pillarboxed" version.

Now that's a good idea. My main objection is not to the actual pillarboxing, but to the impression that the game is somehow mis-installed. This would solve it. You could also include a "Use the -stretch command line to get rid of this" type message to make people aware of how these things work.

Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, that's actually a pretty good idea.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

My main concern is with those mods that were built and designed with the stretching in mind from the start.

But are there any, really? So far I haven't encountered even one custom interface that was designed to be anamorphic. Practically every fanmade mainhall around here is designed to be shown correctly as 1024x768 (4:3).

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I was in the process of creating an anamorphic mainhall, but I ceased that project when this became a thing.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.