Author Topic: A model issue, int3 at line 4516 of modelinterp.cpp  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
A model issue, int3 at line 4516 of modelinterp.cpp
Code: [Select]
<ShivanHunter> I has a question. Assuming my hard drive isn't borked, what model problem could cause an int3 at modelinterp.cpp at line 4516?
Log!

^ This is the FRED log for when I opened my test mission and tried to place a TF Ion. The crash occurs there, or when playing my test mission after I destroy a Cain and turn around (and look at one of the TF Ions in the mission- it doesn't happen with them not present). The TF Ions in the mission had been rendered before; in fact, I start the mission facing them. Also, placing some Ions in the blank mission at startup also doesn't crash immediately- it does after a while, but doesn't report the int3 and I think it's a separate problem.

The TF Ion model I'm using is different than the one I released. The only change I can remember is recently adding a shield model- according to the illustrious coders of #scp, that line throws an int3 iff the number of a child object is greater than or equal to the number of child objects in the model (or less than 0). If my assumptions are correct and the shield model counts as a child object, PCS2 could have added it without updating a reported number of child objects- but that is baseless speculation on my part.

This is the problematic model. Can anyone tell me what's wrong with it?

If need be, I can make a test mod and upload it so you can try to reproduce the bug. Uploading my RANDOM**** mod folder is not an option unless I clean it up, since it's 8 GB.

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Re: A model issue, int3 at line 4516 of modelinterp.cpp
Most likely unrelated, but I noticed that selecting debris01 in PCS2 causes it to crash, so there ought to be something wrong with that.

Anyway, your guess as to the reason for the Int3() sounds reasonable. If you go and remove the shield mesh now, does the problem go away?

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
I didn't see how to delete the shield model outright, but I went ahead and replaced it with the model from my original release, and that seems to have fixed it. I don't know what changes there were other than the shield; I know the one I downloaded doesn't crash when selecting debris. I may add a shield to this new one and see if that breaks it again.

Thanks!

[EDIT] looks like it works, some subsystem/table inconsistencies aside. Dunno what I did to screw it up, though.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 11:37:27 pm by Shivan Hunter »

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Just an FYI. I find the easiest way to add a shield mesh that FSO doesn't hate is to copy one from an existing model (using PCS2 to import it) and scale it in PCS2 to the proper size and shape. You don't have to do it that way, but that's what I do. (After I find one that most closely follows the shape.)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 11:37:49 pm by mjn.mixael »
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.