Author Topic: Scariest-looking ship ever?  (Read 17796 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: Scariest-looking ship ever?
Everyone Has A Limit
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline kisumu

I've just figured out why I find that picture of the Ishimura so frightening, it's because it looks like some giant decayed beast. Those panels along the middle section look like a ribcage with all the flesh rotted away. I is well creeping myself out now.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
To be honest, I don't see anything genuinely frightening about that picture at all.

A Feddie Story

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
yay, generic spider/squid ship! soo scary

this thread is dumb
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
yay, generic spider/squid ship!

If it works, people will keep using it. And that one actually works.

A Feddie Story

Offline kisumu

To be honest, I don't see anything genuinely frightening about that picture at all.

Each to their own, mate. I think it's a great design, a contrast between organic and industrial forms. I think that is unnerving - like a werewolf with a pneumatic drill for a leg or a vampire that's got a tamagochi embedded in his chin. Do you see what I mean? Creepy!

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I dunno if you'd call it scary as much as intimidating, but the Shivan Comm Node is actually pretty scary in VD. Granted, that's just a consequence of how it's used; it's a pretty ugly thing.

EDIT: crap I was going to try and have 100 days of activity and 3000 posts on my 6th HLP birthday, but it looks like I'm going to overshoot postcount.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Each to their own, mate. I think it's a great design, a contrast between organic and industrial forms. I think that is unnerving - like a werewolf with a pneumatic drill for a leg or a vampire that's got a tamagochi embedded in his chin. Do you see what I mean? Creepy!

It's all industrial in my view; there's simply nothing organic about it. If you mean "art deco cubist" and "not art deco cubist" maybe...

The thing is I've seen a ribcage a couple of times and that looks nothing like it. Cathedral buttresses, especially with the twin-tower effect of the right-side portion of the ship, that I'd buy. But just adding a little bit of a curve does not an organic form make, or everything on my desk currently has organic lines.

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I think the Ishimura is a pretty okay scary design. It's got atmosphere.

I also think Reapers are a really good design.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
What's scary about the Ishimura is on the inside, not the outside.

Dammit, I need to save some money to get the second.
el hombre vicio...

Offline kisumu

It's all industrial in my view; there's simply nothing organic about it. If you mean "art deco cubist" and "not art deco cubist" maybe...

The thing is I've seen a ribcage a couple of times and that looks nothing like it. Cathedral buttresses, especially with the twin-tower effect of the right-side portion of the ship, that I'd buy. But just adding a little bit of a curve does not an organic form make, or everything on my desk currently has organic lines.

Do you not think that a skeletal vibe could have been the intention of the artist? I reckon it must have been to an extent - it links in nicely with the subject matter of the game; all the dead-uns with their insides hanging out and that chasing you about trying to nick your dinner money and disembowel you.

I'm not sure that I mentioned organic lines, I was just remarking on my blinding revelation at the contrast I perceived in the overall form of the ship. General Battuta's right, it's got a feeling about it.

And that vampire/tamagochi line? I thought you'd be all over that!

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Where is the latest picture from?

It's the ME2 Derelict Reaper, I believe.

Each to their own, mate. I think it's a great design, a contrast between organicand industrial forms. I think that is unnerving - like a werewolf with a pneumatic drill for a leg or a vampire that's got a tamagochi embedded in his chin. Do you see what I mean? Creepy!

Quoted for organicness. :P If you don't mean in a "lines/shapes" capacity then...uh, wat?

Do you not think that a skeletal vibe could have been the intention of the artist? I reckon it must have been to an extent - it links in nicely with the subject matter of the game; all the dead-uns with their insides hanging out and that chasing you about trying to nick your dinner money and disembowel you.

I honestly don't know what the artist meant, just that, at least for me, it wasn't effective. Like I said, that really brings to mind for me a cathedral-esque air with the towers and buttresses effect. That could be exploited for some creepy, but the bronze/gold of it and relatively clean lines of those parts fail to complete the effect.

Bones just lying about don't produce the kind of atavistic reaction that the spiderships do in me, or at least not at this level of stylization where it actually starts to look like something else. To each his own, as you say.

And that vampire/tamagochi line? I thought you'd be all over that!

It was too silly. :( And being a proud supporter of transhumanist ideas I sorta like the idea of werewolves with piston-powered legs. Or piston-powered legs. And for that matter, I suppose you could classify werewolves as transhuman in a way too.

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Actually I think the cathedral/skeleton ambiguity is brilliant given the game's mingling of religious and, uh, necrological themes.

Unitology, necromorphs, the quest for eternal life through undeath - it's a giant catholic jesus metaphor whoaaaaaaaa

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Actually I think the cathedral/skeleton ambiguity is brilliant given the game's mingling of religious and, uh, necrological themes.

Unitology, necromorphs, the quest for eternal life through undeath - it's a giant catholic jesus metaphor whoaaaaaaaa

And a piss-take of Scientology, all in one!

And the game fails at being scary, DS1 scared me once and that was because I was silly (Atmospheric though. The scare was going to upgrade my pulse rifle in the medlab without checking the room and suddenly getting swarmed by the little white maggot things), and I hear DS2 is even less scary.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline kisumu

I'm not sure that I mentioned organic lines
a contrast between organic and industrial forms
Quoted for organicness.  If you don't mean in a "lines/shapes" capacity then...uh, wat?

I mean here that I think there's a distinction between organic lines and forms, and I didn't say lines. Lines would imply curves and natural shapes, and I was getting at the fact that the appearance of the ship is an industrial/organic contrast. Factory/ribcage.

I think you've got a valid point on the cathedral comparison, also I think in the game there's a cult of the necromorphs (not sure), so there's an artistic link there too.

I still think the ship is scary! I've got to admit that the Shivan red-glowing-throbbing love vessels never quite made me feel unsettled, things like that Ishimura with muted, mouldy tones and evidently multi-layered artistic direction do it much better for me. Athough Shivans fly, like, well fast. And there is, like, loads of them

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£

Fear my ship, it is one part hammer!

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.

This is actually a very good point.

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Now let's be smug about how we probably thought about it more than the designers :smug:

Actually, I respect Visceral a fair bit. I reckon they gave it a good thunk.