Author Topic: SF Kraken  (Read 17334 times)

Overview:

The SF Kraken is the most powerful and deadly Shivan fightercraft ever encountered. These were elite ships flown only by the best pilots the Shivans had to offer. They were first encountered by the GTVAA during the fourth Shivan Incursion.

Physical Characteristics:

The Kraken is very large for a fighter, it is wider but slightly shorter than the old Ursa bomber. It is a symmetrical design, with two split wings on the top and bottom, branching out into four aft spires at an angle. Several large and powerful engines dominate the rear of the craft, while the front is covered with weapon emplacements. It is a very sleek and aesthetic design, but GTVAA pilots tend not to notice this as they are usually too busy trying not to get killed by these ships.

Name:

Continuing the tradition of naming Shivan fighters after mythological beasts, the Kraken is named after a monster from Terran myths, described as a gigantic cephalopod that would attack and sink ships. The name is appropriate, as destroying ships is what this craft is best at.

Propulsion:

The Kraken is equipped with a set of incredibly powerful engines, producing more output than any other engines ever seen on a fighter up to that point. The engines are so powerful that they can cause minor engine wash damage to even shielded craft, which was previously unheard of for a ship of that size. The Kraken's base speed is 80 m/s, although with extra power shifted to the engines it can reach 110 m/s, and with afterburners, an incredible 250 m/s. For such a large fighter, it is also extraordinarily maneuverable, capable of stopping on a dime and running circles around even the GTVAA's best interceptors. It is also capable of reverse thrust, reverse afterburners, and maneuvers on all 3 axes, similar to the SF Scorpion.

Defenses:

The Kraken's shields are among the strongest ever seen on a fighter, rated at 8000 units. Its hull is also heavily armored, rated at 2000 units. Combined, this makes the Kraken almost as durable as a light cruiser. In addition, the Kraken is equipped with two automatic turrets, one on the bottom and one on the top of the craft. These turrets are typically armed with anti-fighter beams, but other armaments have been observed. The Kraken also comes equipped with 100 anti-warhead countermeasures.

Weapons:

In addition to the aforementioned turrets, the Kraken has no less than 20 primary gunpoints, capable of wielding 2 different primary weapon systems at once. The first system uses 8 gunpoints and the second uses 12. The Kraken is compatible with all Shivan primary weapons. The most typical armament is the weapon colloquially known as the "Shivan Uber Laser", combined with a Shivan equivalent to the Terran Maxim Cannon, although the Shivan version does slightly more damage and uses slightly less energy. The Kraken is capable of carrying up to 4 different types of warheads simultaneously, and it is compatible with all Shivan secondary weapons, save bombs and torpedoes used by bombers. Each of its 4 secondary bays is capable of storing an equivalent of 100 of the old Terran Tornado missiles.

Other Capabilities:

The power plant aboard the SF Kraken is more powerful for its size than any power source used by the GTVAA. It is capable of firing all 20 gunpoints continuously without needing to recharge, as well as regenerating the craft's shields at an unbelievable rate, and maintaining almost constant afterburner thrust.

Purpose:

It is clear that the Kraken is an elite fighter, only piloted by the best the Shivans have to offer, and its appearance is very rare in battle. Kraken fighters are rarely seen out of a Megido fleet or the Shivan home systems.

Contingencies:

The Kraken's greatest weakness is its rarity. During the fourth Shivan Incursion, of all of the Shivan fighters observed, less than 0.1% were Krakens. Despite this, these ships were a terror to any GTVAA pilot, and were even capable of threatening capital ships as large as destroyers. Another potential weakness was the fighter's large target profile, however its speed and maneuverability offset this somewhat. The GTVAA recommended avoiding fighter engagements with Krakens if possible, unless having at least a 10-1 numerical superiority as well as capital ship support. Even with this condition met, however, victory was far from certain.

Sig censored by people with no sense of humor

Offline Lucika

• Victim of trolling-related humor
  • Modding is l'art pour l'art
    • Syrk: The Unification Wars
That is kinda over the top, would fit well in SGWP2.
HLP member 2008-2012 and Syrk:TUW project leader ~2010-2012

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Wang, are you compensating?

It's over the top because it's the rarest, best Shivan fighter ever. Also the allied ships fighting it were much stronger and more powerful than FS2 - era ships.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils

This takes place after Inferno or maybe some other Inferno-like campaign

Offline Lucika

• Victim of trolling-related humor
  • Modding is l'art pour l'art
    • Syrk: The Unification Wars
It's over the top because it's the rarest, best Shivan fighter ever. Also the allied ships fighting it were much stronger and more powerful than FS2 - era ships.

With that logic today's guns would have 327365193764 barrels. It's the weapons' destructive capability that improves, not the amount of gunpoints, definitely not to this extent :P
HLP member 2008-2012 and Syrk:TUW project leader ~2010-2012

Well the Keres had 16 and there's a ship in the wiki that has 32 gunpoints

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
That ship is for a defunt mod and supposedly those firepoints would be for ripple-fire weapons.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
before I read this post I didn't think it was possible for a ship to be a typical badly-written Mary Sue

thank you DarthWang you have enlightened me

It's the ultimate and rarest Shivan fighter. I don't see the problem.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Okay, I give you props for imagination.

But 20 gunpoints on a fighter that's as large as the Ursa yet more maneuverable than a Dragon and can pretty much zap enemy fighters with AA beams from anywhere? A 250 m/s afterburner with near-limitless fuel? Dude, if you're gonna come up with an 'elite' fighter come up with something a little less ridiculous. I get that it's rare but your description tells me that just one of these things can win an entire battle by itself.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I get that it's rare but your description tells me that just one of these things can win an entire battle by itself.
Well there's no excuse for it not being able to if I'm able to take on fighters and a Cain with a Lilith in an Athena alone and win. :P

Offline Enigmatic Entity

• Exemplar Essayer
  • Amigo ad infinitum.
Time to see if we can get another one of those Prometheus Frames going... ;)
Juvenescence and multifariousness is eternal.

Okay, I give you props for imagination.

But 20 gunpoints on a fighter that's as large as the Ursa yet more maneuverable than a Dragon and can pretty much zap enemy fighters with AA beams from anywhere? A 250 m/s afterburner with near-limitless fuel? Dude, if you're gonna come up with an 'elite' fighter come up with something a little less ridiculous. I get that it's rare but your description tells me that just one of these things can win an entire battle by itself.

Like I said it fought against much stronger ships than those in FS2

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I miss the Auto-Historian. :nod:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft
Dude, what you describe is classified as cruiser, not a fighter. This is even over-OTT. This isn't elite fighter, this is the fighter flown by God, impossible to make by anyone of the material plane of existence.
:::ALSO PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

I guess it's what happens when you become a Sith, you start constructing huge over the top ships and try to dominate the entire galaxy and all ;)
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
way to overpowered.

Hey, I was considering giving it self-regenerating hull armor, self-repairing turrets, and the ability to hack into other fighters and take control of them, but I dropped those features