Author Topic: HLP Newsletter - January 2014  (Read 13229 times)

Offline Axem

HLP Newsletter - January 2014

Welcome to the wooooorld of tomorrow! Yes, its 2014! Which means that things like personal spaceships and subspace are a year closer! Also Shivans are a year closer, but lets ignore that for now. We should probably take a look at what happened last month before venturing off into the future.

First off, congrats to everyone who released something in 2013! Apologies for the delay on the annual video, but it is here now!

But specifically for December, I actually got something released! Go enjoy Just Another Day Xtreme Arcade as a way to make up for the late newsletter and late video! It's got explosions and pewpew and... things... Oh and fun. Can't forget fun.

Otherwise, you ARE checking out the other promising campaigns brewing up in the Missions and Campaigns board, right? Well, if not, allow me to summarize:

Rheyah continues his steady work with Shetland, teasing a cool screenshot and mentions of cool script integration.

My work exposing these new campaigns, has gotten FIZ to leak a little bit more intriguing info about his "Aquitaine Chronicles" mini-campaign. And wait, there's no pics!

As well, bullhorn has given some more info on his Ex Orbito campaign, it'll feature NTF victories before the GTVA deploys their secret weapon known only as... Alpha 1. And yes, we  have a pic here too!

And Bryan See has a rather interesting crossover campaign started. It's got the GTVA battling the Cylons from Battlestar Galactica! What more could you ask? Also there's pics. Wonderous pics.

And last but not least, Inferno is teasing us with a discussion thread for their campaign that isn't released yet! But it makes up for it by having pics and the chance to get some info about the campaign by asking the devs.

by niffiwan

Ah summer.  Humid heat from 7am followed by afternoon storms :blah: I should invest in a good UPS / power surge protector so I don't have to keep turning my PC off in the afternoon/evening!
(ED Note: I don't know, I'd sure take that over being colder than the North Pole!)

And now for a little copy-pasta; here's a list the new features which have been committed to trunk in the last month.  These will all be in the latest Nightly Build which are posted (for Windows at least) each day that there is a change to the trunk code. Check it out if you're feeling brave or are developing mods, or if you just want to help with testing.  Just remember that the nightlies also have the latest bugs as well as the latest features (but hey, it's better to find bugs in a nightly build than in the next release!)

New features!
  • For wing names with hash symbols, put the ship number before the hash (plus refactor part of wing names code) - Goober5000 (useful if you want wing members to have correct names in identically named but different wings)
  • Bump model insignia faces/vertexes limits - niffiwan (so insignia can be placed on curvy models)
  • Added an $On Ship Arrive scripting hook - zookeeper
  • Made +delay and +acceleration in animation code optional and default to 0 - zookeeper
  • Enabled fighterbay door animations to better define which bay path must be used or not used for the animation to trigger - zookeeper
  • Yarns Adaptable HUD - Yarn & m!m & niffiwan (a new way of configuring HUD gauge positions, including a non-stretched HUD for retail without requiring a table. There's a few things still being added to this)
  • Added scripting function for drawing filled and unfilled arcs and made drawCircle able to draw unfilled circles - zookeeper
  • Added support for multiple control presets - zookeeper
  • Allow game_settings.tbl to define the FS2NetD port, so TCs can work out of the box on *nix, etc - chief1983 (currently, setting the port in multi.cfg only works because on Windows the game and user data folders are still in the same place)
  • Add the was-destroyed-delay SEXP by the WCS team. Add support to alter-ship-flag for hiding ship names - karajorma
  • Add lua on-collision hooks for beams - Axem & Wanderer
  • Ported the $On Action and $On Action Stopped scripting hooks. Also bumps the char limit for conditions from 32 to 64 - zookeeper

Apart from the features, there's been bugfixes, in particular zookeeper has been squashing bugs in the new model point shields code, and of course MOAH Coverity & Address Sanitizer related fixes (as an aside, compared to similar size open source projects (100k-500k lines of code) FSO currently has a defect density of 1.15 (per 1000 lines of code), compared to the average of 0.6 - so there's still quite some room for improvement).

X3N0-Life-Form has submitted a patch to add a simple SSM sexp. It looks like it may be ready to commit soon.

There was a discussion about moving some command line parameters to be tabled options instead. There was also a similar conversation about having bloooooommm and other default lighting settings in a table as well.  Both ideas sound good to me, so it just seems that we need someone with some time to pick this up and make it happen :)

And now... the question of an installer! I wonder if us regulars at HLP sometimes forget how tricky it can be to install FSO and its mods when you're just starting out. The documentation is pretty good but finding it can be difficult if you're arriving via google, none of the 1st page of results in my google search returned the new & updated installation threads by jg18 :( And of course, for better or for worse, many game players these days expect a simple click and point style installation process, and we need players to play all the awesome work that our members create! Towards the end of that thread Goober implied that there'd be some news after the holidays were over, so I'm now charging all you readers, PESTER THE GUY (in a good natured way of course) if he hasn't delivered some news by the end of January! :p

If you've been following Star Citizen, you'll know that they pushed back the dogfight module. But MatthTheGeek said "Oh yeah?" and managed to pull the P52 Merlin (all 100k+ polys) and threw it into FreeSpace for a quick standalone experience.

Steve-O has also released the latest version of his Fighter Pack (weapons included!). This includes all the redone ships, including the redone Saracen/Durga. Great looking ships if you need some custom ones.

Col. Hornet has started work on a TCa Hera, a carrier that bears a strong similarity to Aesaar's Diomedes in BP. Which is awesome. Getting a strong air craft carrier vibe from this.

Betrayal's got a neat looking ship in the works, the TFg Vengeance. A pocket destroyer, with few anti-capital weapons, but lots of anti-fighter ones. It looks like quite a blunt instrument.

Speaking of... blount instruments...

DahBlount's finally shown that new version of the Nuadha that I mentioned last month. I see its still got its giant beam cannon, very good. Keep up the good work!

And making a surprising debut in the FSU forums, Lc4Hunter not only shows off a new Iceni, but also a new Demon! The Demon sorely needs an upgrade, maybe then it can get some love in campaigns again.

Oh Oddgrim, what is this. ANOTHER Vasudan ship? Ho hum.

Oh AND a high poly version of the Vasudan support ship from FS1? You make me sick.

And Scooby. TWO more ships? Give other people a chance. C'mon bros.

by mjn.mixael
Last month's theme was Free-For-All. There were a lot of very, very good entries and it took me a while to narrow it down. In the end, though.. it just has to go to..

CKid with this pic from BP. Wowzers, that looks nice. Who do I pay to get my mods to look that good?

Here are a few runner ups that I also really loved. Darius MatthTheGeek
AndrewofDoom
Mpez

Screencap 2013 Final Scoreboard:
ssmit132 - 2
X3N0-Life-Form - 1
FreeSpaceFreak - 1
mjn.mixael - 1
Belisarius - 1
MatthTheGeek - 1
knossosfs2 - 1
Betrayal - 1
Aesaar - 1
Axem - 1
CKid - 1

Review the year's worth of winning screenshots here. The goal was to show what FSO can do, and I think that was easily achieved. As for the year's winner? The scoreboard says it all. ssmit132 wins with 2 points where everyone else has 1. Enjoy some more pixels in the form of a badge, ssmit132!

Guess what. It's 2014! That means a new screencap season! I'll be interested to see if ssmit132 can hold on to that golden badge of glory next year. :) We're going to do things slightly differently this year. Our many campaigns are filled with emotional ups, downs, and/or lackthereof. So let's highlight that with a whole year's worth of emotional themes. I don't care what's in the image as long as it portrays the particular feeling for the month. And yes, February will be the month of love. However, January is the month of Rage.

So get out there and capture all the Rage you can in an image!

Watch those HUD gauges (especially that sneaky FPS gauge) and check out the Screencam Script to help you win a badge and bragging rights. You can see the rules and the previous winners here on the Wiki.

Let's keep this nice and easy, what campaigns are you waiting for in 2014? Planning on starting your own?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 09:37:55 am by Axem »

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Re: HLP Newsletter - January 2014 (Eventually)
seriously

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
Does it come with Bacon pre-installed?
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
In before the lock. :p
[GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
[Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
My models page:
http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
All hail lord Axem, master of trolls.

Offline Axem

I know, I'm awful. I had hoped to have the release video up, but I was having troubles with exporting the video.

Oh well, there's always next year!

Offline Luis Dias

It's really awkward to have a twitter account telling us this newsletter is ... ahhh.... going to be written down. Eventually. With a link. Right.

I hope you post some information and updates about FreeSpace: Reunited in the newsletter, Axem.

I'm pretty sure you only talks about released stuff when it comes to campaigns. Considering you haven't released anything, there's not really any point.
Its like him talking about how my campaign is 3/4 quarters done. No one is really gonna care and its pretty pointless unless there's a release. (maybe there could be a bit more interest in yours given you have discuss it on the forums.)
Too many ideas.....not enough FREDing time!

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's really awkward to have a twitter account telling us this newsletter is ... ahhh.... going to be written down. Eventually. With a link. Right.

The Twitter posts are automated and are triggered by a new topic in the Highlights or Announcements section. So blame Axem for being super lazy.  :)
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Luis Dias

yeah axem, you lazy bastard what are you waiting for writing this **** on time and don't give me the usual **** like "I was busy making a free campaign of my own for your amusement you ingrate asshole" as if the truth of the matter is relevant here! ****ing lazy morons no wonder the world isn't going anywhere good.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Awesome release from jad btw. Having a blast with it.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Axem

THERE. ACTUAL CONTENT. ARE YOU UNGRATEFUL VULTURES HAPPY NOW?!

Screencap results coming in a bit still!

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Thanks for pointing out the Star Citizen bit, Axem! Wouldn't have known about it otherwise.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I've split out the Bryan See/FSR derail. If you feel the need to continue that particular discussion, go here: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=86467.0
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Nice work as always guys and grats to ssmit132 for the screengrab win
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
thanks for another good newsletter :)
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
:nervous: Oops, I missed a feature commit from late in the month: Axem, could you please add this one to the list?

• red-alert will now work with ships that appear at some point subsequent to mission start - Goober5000 (the old behaviour was that a ship that was not present at mission start would ignore any red alert data from the previous mission
    Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
    ----
    Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
    ----
    m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
      • Art Thumblr
    Good newletter axem, having a lot of fun with the new jad as well c:
    But, you forgot the Edjo release, the most neglected canon sentry in the game needs some attention as well! :p
    [GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
    [Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
    My models page:
    http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim

Review the year's worth of winning screenshots here. The goal was to show what FSO can do, and I think that was easily achieved. As for the year's winner? The scoreboard says it all. ssmit132 wins with 2 points where everyone else has 1. Enjoy some more pixels in the form of a badge, ssmit132!
    Little goof up on the url: url=http://www.hard=light.net/wiki/index.php/Screencap_Contest#2013_Screencap_Season

Congrats to ssmit132 for winning that screencap season ;)

Thanks for the mention of Ex Orbito, fellow Canuck!
    Id like to note that the first 2 missions are up, available for comments and attempts to break them.
    They contain most of my basic FRED2ing approach for this campaign, so Im happy for them to be picked over.

BH