Author Topic: Congregate the works of this board!  (Read 9320 times)

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
Congregate the works of this board!
Usermade FSO mod assets
Note: This list does NOT include FSU related assets.

Fighters:
Pyro GX
Satyr
TF Proton
GVF Shu Mk II
GTF Durandal
HEF Blizzard
TF Ion
GVF Anouke
GTF Draco

Bombers:
GVB Petbe
Hesat light Bomber

Cruisers/corvettes:
GVGs Hemsut
Impervious
Northampton-class Stealth Frigate
GTGs Prominence
HTL Darkness
Aten MKII

Destroyers+:
GTSD Anchorage
GTD Atropos
GTSD Bastion
GTD Daegon

Transports/Non-Combat:
GTSh Mercury
GTFR Albanus
GTT Corsair

Turrets and Other:
GTSG Sleipnir
 Fury AI v9
BW's Head ANIs
Starlancer Head ANIs
Space Sandwich

Assets Packs:
Askaeldian Ships
Scooby's WCS Models
Andrew's Anime Ships
Esarai's Fleetpack
Assorted Conversions

Backgrounds Skyboxes and Planets:
Ki-mo's Planetpack
Monochromatic Nebula Fog

I'm just going to say it plain so I apologise in advance. I think there are some real problems with the way this board is organised. It's all well and good to pop in every now and then to get some kicks, but for people who are actually trying to find assets to put together a mod it's a little overwhelming. The freespace wiki page is a good collection of work, but that is something separate from the modding board itself. In the same vein as missions and campaigns thread, I think all (or at least the vast majority) of complete work released on this board be in one place for easy access. So I looked at the first 80 pages of the modding board for threads which contained completed work on mod assets. I stopped at 80 because I started encountering broken links and dated iterations of since remade models.

What is a sticky and what is not on this board seems somewhat arbitrary. Just as an example of what I am talking about consider Nighteyes' subspace textures. They are listed at the top as a sticky. Granted, it's high quality and quite an upgrade to the overall experience of being in a subspace tunnel, but that argument can be made about say... any high quality asset.
So I say consider making two well organised stickies: A tutorials sticky and an assets sticky. Link threads to released assets in the assets sticky (much like what is shown above), and the tutorial threads in the tutorials sticky. This layout will drastically reduce the ammount of stickies for this thread while keeping everything in the modding board much more organised and easy to sift through. What do you think about this idea?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 12:31:28 pm by bigchunk1 »
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: Congregate the works of this board!
I like this topic, :yes:

<with respect>But i also check Freespacemods.net</with respect>
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
FSmods yes, but it wouldn't hurt to make this sticky and update frequently.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Wait, why this and not the Wiki page? At least the Wiki is guaranteed to have (perhaps some are old...) screenshots for all of them...
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Surely this is more of a case where the User ships and User missions/campaigns Wiki pages needs better promotion and update rather than a thread creating listing ships what will probably fall out of date before too long.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Hmmm... new subforums for tutorials and for releases?
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
Surely this is more of a case where the User ships and User missions/campaigns Wiki pages needs better promotion and update rather than a thread creating listing ships what will probably fall out of date before too long.

Searching user made ships on the wiki is part of what informed my decision to post this. Rather than discussing what's out of date and what not etc. I would like to point out how sucessful (I think) Scotty's  missions and campaigns thread is. Some people argued that the wiki was all that was required, so you can use that scenario to judge how something like this would play out.

I like this topic, :yes:

<with respect>But i also check Freespacemods.net</with respect>

Right, i'm glad you brought that up. I'm not saying that fsmods.net or the sectergame ships list or the FS wiki are bad resources in the slightest, it's just nice to be able to do a quick search of what assets the freespace modding thread has to offer in addition to those sources. As a good example, digging up Scooby's big long release thread is a matter of two mouse clicks when organised the way I am proposing. That thread is a good reference for potential assets wheather people post on it or not. An organised board allows people searching it to find what they want to find.

Hmmm... new subforums for tutorials and for releases?

I made a suggestion about that last year. Feedback was mixed, but nothing happened.
 http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=78761.0
This to me seems like a lighter version of doing that, so for people who are afraid to take the plunge this is a safe compromise. Whatever we do let's organise this thread!!!
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Meh, I'm sorry. The Wiki and FSMods is just more useful. I get screens, download link, and all kinds of other info. With this I have to click to go to each thread and hope that data is there in the first post.

Just from clicking through here.

No Screens (some have a link to a screen.. but it's more handy to have the screen right on the page like the Wiki.)

GTSD Bastion
Satyr
TF Proton
Shu Mk 2
Durandal
Anouke

The the Hesat bomber link didn't include information about the re-textured version I made. Info that is readily available on the Wiki.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 04:17:15 pm by mjn.mixael »

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
Ok here we go. The release thead is just that, a release thread. Some are well organised e.g. Esarai's Droid803's etc. and some are not. Perhaps you would prefer to see release theads directly. Perhaps you want to ask the question: What have people released on the FS mods thread recently? Perhaps you want the collected work of a single artist on a single thread page. I can see many instances where you would find this format useful.

The Satyr does have screens, you just got to click a bit. Same with the Proton you just gota scroll down. All the release threads are dependent on the format of the artist so it's not as consistant as the wiki. However, let me rag on the wiki by saying that the wiki kinda baits you too by having you click open a link and see that "Surprise! This link leads to a tilemapped construction brick!" So, I don't really see a super negative here.

The the Hesat bomber link didn't include information about the re-textured version I made. Info that is readily available on the Wiki.

That's not fair. There are plenty of instances where the release thread is updated and the wiki is not. You can't pick the one example where you personally updated only the wiki and call it the standard. I won't let you.  :lol:
BP Multi
The Antagonist

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
However, let me rag on the wiki by saying that the wiki kinda baits you too by having you click open a link and see that "Surprise! This link leads to a tilemapped construction brick!"

This is true. I wanted to introduce a rating system that would have decreased this issue a bit, but I got shouted down. I wonder... maybe we could improve the wiki page by putting little icons next to the ship links? A little "H" for high poly model, a little U for UV Mapped, a little N for normal mapped etc. - the more icons/letters, the more FSO features are being used. That would warn people in advance when they're about to click on a less than pleasantly tilemapped ship from 2001
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
That's not fair. There are plenty of instances where the release thread is updated and the wiki is not. You can't pick the one example where you personally updated only the wiki and call it the standard. I won't let you.  :lol:

Except that's how the Wiki works... If people would actually spend time updating the Wiki pages (instead of say... making another thread list), then the entire wiki would be more reliable.

All I'm saying is that, for someone like me, who is constantly looking for ships to fill roles... This isn't the easiest. At best is a thread repo.. I browse this thread, then have to browse threads linking to it. Click links to see images. Hope those are the most updated images.. etc.

With the Wiki, what I see is what I get.. It's fast, clean, and anyone can update it. If people don't update their ships on the Wiki, then they can't be upset that no one's using their models..

So, you can keep making this list if you wish.. I just find it to be a whole lot slower than the Wiki or FSMods with only a minor increase in reliability. So that's why my two cents is that you might be better off spending this time updating the Wiki pages instead.

Offline Legate Damar

• Keeping up with the Cardassians
  • Hail Cardassia!
Well I think it's a good idea

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Except that's how the Wiki works... If people would actually spend time updating the Wiki pages (instead of say... making another thread list), then the entire wiki would be more reliable.

This is something the "I have no skills but I'd like to help" crowd could do. Wiki editing isn't exactly hard to learn.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Beskargam

• We'z got a nob to lead us boys, wadaful.
I volunteer. Seeing as how I fit into the category just described. what would I need to do?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Basically keep an eye on the SCP forum and this one and add new features and mods to the wiki.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Beskargam

• We'z got a nob to lead us boys, wadaful.
Alright I can do that

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
So there was a miscommunication about the intent of this thread. I am not talking about replacing the wiki with some kind of sticky which contains all user made ships. That's a not what I am proposing. So to be clear:

I propose we reorganize the 8 random stickles we have into 2 stickles with clearly defined purposes.

One category will be assets/downloads.

This thread will contain relevant  modding assets and applications. Links to modeling software, pcs2, Vpview32, head.anis, Esarai's release thread etc. will all be here.
The stickies to be moved under here would be:
Subspace Tunnel effect
Skybox improvement
Useful scripts for 3dmax
Skyboxes became 1000x easier

The other category will be for modding tutorials.

One such stickied thread already exists. It could use a face lift, but that's another point. Instructional material which has been created by the FSO community will be showcased here.
The stickies to be moved under here would be:
FSF's shipbuilding tutorial
PCS2 User to User help
Freespace Modding Tutorials
A simple texturing tutorials
Creating eficient models

Lastly, I just want to say that this unorganized board is driving me nuts. Please don't let this fall to the way side. For crying out loud the Slow Loris wants an organized modding board! Don't let it down!
BP Multi
The Antagonist

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
+1 to this idea.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
All PCS2-related stuff is already in the Freespace Tools board. Which is much less cluttered than this one, so much easy to navigate, I don't think it's a good idea to add to the clutterness of this board by adding PCS2 stuff here too.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
which reminds me. why is PCS2 user to user help here...shouldn't it be in tools? :P
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================