Author Topic: RELEASE: Knossos.NET (KNet)  (Read 4366 times)

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
RELEASE: Knossos.NET (KNet)
Knossos.NET (KNet) Announcement

Hi everyone, we wanted to share an important announcement regarding the current state of FSO launchers! As many of you might have heard, the most modern, stable, and cross-platform launcher that we recommend to use is now officially Knossos.NET (KNet for short). Massive thanks to ShivanSPS for building KNet from the ground up, and many thanks to the other collaborators including taylor, Cyborg, Lafiel, and more.

We highly recommend folks switch to using KNet. Upgrading to KNet from classic Knossos has innumerable benefits and robust stability. KNet is a highly improved launcher that fixes the bugs and issues of classic Knossos. This includes orders of magnitude faster loading, better joystick setting, easier option handling, smaller file size, mod compression and many more updates 🙂

KNet also uses the same library folder structure, so no need to redownload your currently installed mods!  You don’t even need to point KNet at your old library, it’s automatic!

Get KNet for PC, Linux, and MAC here:
https://knossosnet.github.io/Knossos-Release-Page/

Backup link if link above does not work:
https://github.com/KnossosNET/Knossos.NET/releases

« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 12:17:51 pm by wookieejedi »

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Re: RELEASE: Knossos.NET (KNet)
I don't see quite the amount of options and flags to enable as compared to Knossos Classic.  The HUD and Gameplay sections seem to have been deleted.  Is that all on the game_settings.tbl now?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline wookieejedi

All the flag options are still there, though slightly more organized. To see all settings, just hover over a given mod, click `settings`, then click `configure. As you alluded to though, many modern mods also use many of these settings in the game_settings table now, too. :)

Offline Pobaxi

Congratulations on a successful 1.0 release

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
All the flag options are still there, though slightly more organized. To see all settings, just hover over a given mod, click `settings`, then click `configure. As you alluded to though, many modern mods also use many of these settings in the game_settings table now, too. :)
Ah.  I expected that these would be available in the master list of options OUTSIDE of each individual mod, as they are in Knossos-classic.

Offline wookieejedi

Good question. Given that these controls are more mod specific now, that's the reasoning for having the clickable options be under each mod. But, nevertheless, if you would like to apply settings to all mods you can just copy the relevant command line args and put them in the global command line argument in the global KNet settings tab (ie set them once and they apply everywhere). :) Also, for extra control, you can even disable the global command line on a mod-by-mod basis.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
I find the new UI for command line options more intuitive than the old version, personally :)

Also very glad the critical security vuln was fixed where Sathanas Juggernauts could come through the Knossos portal, that was very inconvenient. :p

Is it safe to delete the Classic Knossos, or would that cause complications for the new launcher

Offline wookieejedi

Perfectly safe to delete old Knossos (note, by delete old Knossos we of course mean deleting the program, not the mod library folder that holds the mods themselves  :) ). Also, old Knossos likely has files in App Data folders of Roaming and Local so if you are deleting old Knossos, I suggest checking those locations and deleting 'Knossos' folders there. KNet has folders in App Data called 'KnossosNET', while old Knossos folders are just named 'Knossos'.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Congrats on the v1.0 KNet release! :yes: That’s a huge milestone and a big step forward for FSO tools. :nod:

The file compression does seem to make a difference.  I had to download the older MediaVP files and FsPort files in order to install Shrouding the Light and it took up a fraction of the space it used to

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
How do you launch the debug FRED?  I don't see that in the options list.

Offline wookieejedi

There is not a button for it ATM, but I think you can hover over a mod tile, click Settings, then click browse and browse to a FRED debug build, then click save, close the popup and then click Play (I think that should work).

Offline 5thAce

Hey, so I'm having a slight issue. For some reason my mouse sensitivity is really low, even when I max out the sensitivity settings in game. Any idea what it may be? I've got the other knossos launcher installed and that one seems to work fine. I really like your launcher though as it removes the 120 fps cap, so I'd like to continue using it ideally.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Hey, so I'm having a slight issue. For some reason my mouse sensitivity is really low, even when I max out the sensitivity settings in game. Any idea what it may be? I've got the other knossos launcher installed and that one seems to work fine. I really like your launcher though as it removes the 120 fps cap, so I'd like to continue using it ideally.

If you're playing on a recent nightly then it could be the bug with the new Options system that I've submitted a fix for in PR #6020 on github for FSO. Hasn't been reviewed yet so I dunno when it will get merged. But basically until that is merged, the retail options don't work in most cases.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline 5thAce

If you're playing on a recent nightly then it could be the bug with the new Options system that I've submitted a fix for in PR #6020 on github for FSO. Hasn't been reviewed yet so I dunno when it will get merged. But basically until that is merged, the retail options don't work in most cases.

Unfortunately, playing with an older build also didn't work. In game my mouse input mode for some reason only works when selected to JOY-0, it does nothing on mouse. I wonder if the game thinks my mouse is a joystick for some reason?

Offline wookieejedi

If you are playing on a build before Feb 28th, then go to the Options screen and then the Config Controls screen, then manually bind your mouse to the desired controls again  :)

Offline Venicius

• Be gone, ruffian!
    • Minecraft
What are the joystick options in the launcher supposed to do? Are they for using multiple input devices natively in FSO?

Offline wookieejedi

Correct, in the Controls section of Knossos you can specify which or your plugged-in devices will register as devices FSO can use in-game :)

Offline Venicius

• Be gone, ruffian!
    • Minecraft
Wow! I was finally able to get rid of the buggy CH Control software, this should be put up in a big announcement that FSO can now do this without the need for 3rd party software....unless it's been able to do this for awhile now, it's been a couple years since I checked on this. Anyways, much appreciated! Fantastic work!